Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would a cannon exhaust change car's power?

Hi guys,
    I've been reading around and these exhausts are pretty controversial. A lot of people don't like them and think they're cheap and good for nothing. I'm personally on a cheap budget and if they do increase power I want to get one.

So I ask, will putting on a cannon muffler onto my 2004 SRi barina increase power? Or could it even decrease power?

Thanks guys,
    Dylan
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    won't do anything apart from make more noise
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Save your money and get a decent 2 1/2" system with a good set of headers.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-AU
    This is the one I have and Chris_r also had this one in his Corsa.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd say just go with a full 2" or 2.25" on a stock Z18XE. Any more is overkill and doesn't really help anything. The Hurricane headers are an awesome bit of kit and do make a difference, but remember the catalytic converter is in the original exhaust manifold. What this means is, in order to stay legal, there must still be a catalytic converter in the system, but you can get a 200 cell cat put just underneath behind the engine. Use of a 100 cell cat or total removal will trigger a fault code.

Your car also has two O2 sensors, aka pre-cat (in the exhaust manifold itself) and post-cat (under the car, further down the exhaust after the cat). The pre-cat sensor is responsible for adjusting fuel mixture, the post-cat sensor is a check sensor, it's job is to ensure that the cat is present and functioning properly. If the cat is removed or it has become blocked, it'll trigger an error code to the ECU.

Now, if you fit the Hurricane manifold and an aftermarket 200 cell cat, you need to move the post-cat sensor down the exhaust a bit further and this may result in needing to lengthen the wires for the sensor to reach where it plugs in to. This has been known to cause problems if not done properly. It may be possible to source another O2 sensor with longer wires to circumvent this problem.

The muffler itself has little effect on the overall performance, it's all about the overall flow. Too little flow and the exhaust chokes, too much flow and you have no back pressure and you lose power as a result. So, it's just a matter of finding the middle ground.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I've been doing some looking into it. I was looking into a high flow cat converter (something I had recommended) and if it works a little better than the stock converter then I'll hqppliy take it on board.

Are there any specific exhausts (brands or anything) I can check out to get a quick feel of price range etc...

Thanks guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @sskustomz

Dad recommended a 2 1/2" exhaust system with a set of extractors too Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't think of any off the shelf systems for the 1.8 SRi. Everything is pretty much custom made for these cars.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've started to figure that out slowly haha

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dmuddle Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, I've started to figure that out slowly haha
    Don't get too disconcerted about it though, nothing is impossible with the Corsa C as I can prove. Mine has practically been built up in my carport/shed, mostly by myself with limited tools (and a few favours from mates), many hours of researching, a lot of trial and error as well as many arguments with the missus. And the end result of driving it on the road is one of the greatest feelings you can experience.

Thread Information