Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by r23d Click here to enlarge
Thanks Chris, that sounds like a very handy swap. Might do that first since my brakes need doing anyway. My combo's c14se is back together and running well with a shed-fixed head, so engine swap is not so big a priority, but will keep an eye out for donor vehicles in the meantime and take time with it.

So what other bits from the pre-EGR gsi might be handy if the loom and engine come out of another vehicle?

Am I right in thinking a 2001-2004-ish TS series Astra might be a good source for an z18xe, loom and ECU?

cheers,

Richard
If you're going to go for a Simtec series ECU as per the Z18XE, there's not much else you can really use off the GSi apart from a timing cover (however, the UK Vectra B Z18XE timing cover is the ideal fit for this swap). Also, you need the looms from the UK Vectra B for a couple of reasons. One is that it's far easier to do the wiring on the Vectra loom (as it doesn't have half the BS the Astra has that will make life difficult if you do) and secondly, you need to use the pedal position sensor from the Vectra in order to convert from throttle cable to drive by wire (which is what the Z18XE has, earlier X18XE1 is the same engine, a few less killerwasps and a cable throttle body).

This is what the pedal position sensor looks like with a custom bracket for the cable: (I had made this up for my GSi, only to end up going with GSi ECU anyway)
Click here to enlarge