Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magic combo van thinking about engine conversions after fun with timing belt...

Hi All,

Ever since I found an unloved, unregistered '97 SB Combo sitting by the side of the road near Sydney Park and convinced the owner to give it to me for free, it's been known as "The Magic Van" at our place.

"If you can figure out why it's overheating, it's yours mate." Weirdly, when sitting at idle, sometimes the temp would skyrocket, so I took a look and found the water pump impeller was spinning on the shaft! Passed a blue slip straightaway, and I drove it home to Melbourne where I use it as a work van and to pick up pallets of veges from the wholesale market. Magic.

I've had a bit of fun putting 15" steel rims on it from a later combo with rated 50 series tyres on it, and now have some black Japanese import alloys on it nicked from my wife's squashed Mazda 121 bubble.

6 years, a water pump, a clutch, some brake pads and a bit of oil later, it's been the cheapest motoring I've ever had, but foolishly I believed an opel spec sheet from way back that said the 1.4 was a non-interference motor and now with a couple of bent exhaust valves, I'm looking at options...

Probably I should just put a couple of new valves in, check the valve guides, do the gaskets, put the head back on and cross my fingers that the bottom end is OK, but there is an opportunity to have a bit of fun upgrading...

Which is what brings me here.

Anyone had experience engineering a Z18XE or C16XE motor in one of these or a Barina to register in Victoria? Just wondering the costs I might be up for for the paperwork, but any other advice would be welcome. I think member chris_r's Z18XE conversion thread will be of help when I find it, but any other advice or motor/loom parts sourcing help would be useful, so feel free to chip in your thoughts!

cheers,

Richard Allen, Footscray Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Z18 is the best bang for buck engine conversion. Its a very simple swap too. If you can source a wrecked barina gsi then strip everything off that and that will make your life easier.
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks adam_92 Click here to enlarge I think you're right about the Z18. For now, I'm going to put the c14SE back together so I have a mobile van again, but will start shopping for upgrade bits when I'm more ready to take on a swap. Would you recommend using the loom off a GSI or from a z18 donor car? What z18 donor vehicles would suit best? I heard something about a UK spec vectra, but I don't imagine there are many downunder...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting donor GSI just around the corner from me : http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/syden...other&mpch=ads
    Anyone want some cute white erally wheels?

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So you have a couple of options.

1. Find a barina gsi in a wreckers or cheap on gumtree etc. Strip the loom, ecu etc from the gsi and put it into the combo along with the z18xe. (Easiest and cheapest and probably quickest option)

2. Source a z18xe loom and associated buts from a z18 vectra b, which was only sold in the uk as we got 2.0l 4 cyl and 2.5/2.6 v6 in aus.
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will need to be an early GSI for it to work, have a look at @chris-r conversion article for details. Ps if the cute white rally wheels are real compomotive's they're worth about $200 each

Sent from Stephen Hawkings wheelchair

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problem is, you have a 97 model van. If you put a C16XE in, you may be putting an engine in that's older than the car, which isn't allowed under the ADRs. It has to be newer than the car, so a Z18XE fits the bill, but the problem with using the GSi loom is emissions related, as it may not be compliant with Vicroads' standards. Physically the Z18 fits with no modifications to the engine mountings, as it's the same block as the 1.6, just with larger bore and stroke. My advice is, ask Vicroads what they need for you to get it through. If it's anything like SA, you may be able to apply for a permit to modify a vehicle and they give you a statement of requirements stating what is required.

My guess is you will have to keep the Z18XE's ECU setup, in which case as @adam_92 said, you'll need to source the ECU and looms from a Z18XE Vectra B. You may also be able to use the X18XE1 looms and ECU from the UK spec Vectra B. Problem with chasing either setup is dealing with wreckers in the UK. They're not really in a hurry to do much, I can tell you that.

Actually, I will also be in the process of doing a Z18 swap into a 98 Combo at sometime in the near future. I will be considering the use of the Z18XE original ECU setup.

And by the way, that GSi has the X16XE engine. You need the one with the C16XE engine (has a plastic upper intake manifold and doesn't have an EGR valve).
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vicroads engine modification compliance info...

Thanks guys,

You're all a wealth of information! Click here to enlarge I think chris_r is right about the ECU needing to match unless you have a lax engineer.

I've been in contact with Vicroads and a VASS engineer at Automotive Performance Solutions in Thomastown VIC, and it looks like I would need a VASS certificate provided by a certified VASS engineer on this list : https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/~/me...ion.ashx?la=en

My guess is they would insist on a brake upgrade at least, so a donor GSI would be handy.

If the SB combo was offered with a 1.6 like the barina GSI, I might have been able to get away with just a Roadworthy Certificate and a signed declaration because going from a 1.6 to 1.8 might fit under the 20% rule allowed for vehicle modification code LA1 (equivalent engine swap) : http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...jan2011_v3.pdf

Shame. An LA2 (Performance Engine Modification) certificate is around $700 and they would need proof the matching ECU is installed to comply with emissions.

*EDIT* the linked doc above says what an engineer will go through to give you an LA2, but basically they go over the whole car (brakes, suspension, etc etc)

So for those with an SB Barina in vic who want to put a Z18 in, take a read of this : https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...-modifications
    It says that if :

"The replacement engine is not of a type and/or make offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle, but is equivalent in general configuration, power, mass, and emissions standard to that of the original or optional engine for the vehicle model and can be installed without any structural alterations." Then you need :

"Documents required:

a signed declaration from the registered operator, motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer certifying that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that engine have been completed. A VASS Approval certificate from a VicRoads’ Vehicle Assessment Signatory can be provided instead of a signed declaration.
    an original receipt for the purchase of the engine must be provided as proof of ownership of the engine
    a completed Change of vehicle details form [PDF 135 Kb] providing new engine details"

So a 20% increase in capacity or power without structural mods is deemed an "equivalent engine" needing only a RWC and signed declaration...

I think this will be a slow burn project since I'm putting the head back together on the c14se just to get the van back on the road, but I've always been a fan of upgrading given an excuse...

cheers all!

Richard

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another easy brake upgrade is the rotors and calipers off a 2.0 Calibra. Bolts straight on and are more than capable to handle a 1.8.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris, that sounds like a very handy swap. Might do that first since my brakes need doing anyway. My combo's c14se is back together and running well with a shed-fixed head, so engine swap is not so big a priority, but will keep an eye out for donor vehicles in the meantime and take time with it.

So what other bits from the pre-EGR gsi might be handy if the loom and engine come out of another vehicle?

Am I right in thinking a 2001-2004-ish TS series Astra might be a good source for an z18xe, loom and ECU?

cheers,

Richard

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    Another easy brake upgrade is the rotors and calipers off a 2.0 Calibra. Bolts straight on and are more than capable to handle a 1.8.

Thread Information