Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by r23d Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Chris, that sounds like a very handy swap. Might do that first since my brakes need doing anyway. My combo's c14se is back together and running well with a shed-fixed head, so engine swap is not so big a priority, but will keep an eye out for donor vehicles in the meantime and take time with it.

So what other bits from the pre-EGR gsi might be handy if the loom and engine come out of another vehicle?

Am I right in thinking a 2001-2004-ish TS series Astra might be a good source for an z18xe, loom and ECU?

cheers,

Richard
    If you're going to go for a Simtec series ECU as per the Z18XE, there's not much else you can really use off the GSi apart from a timing cover (however, the UK Vectra B Z18XE timing cover is the ideal fit for this swap). Also, you need the looms from the UK Vectra B for a couple of reasons. One is that it's far easier to do the wiring on the Vectra loom (as it doesn't have half the BS the Astra has that will make life difficult if you do) and secondly, you need to use the pedal position sensor from the Vectra in order to convert from throttle cable to drive by wire (which is what the Z18XE has, earlier X18XE1 is the same engine, a few less killerwasps and a cable throttle body).

This is what the pedal position sensor looks like with a custom bracket for the cable: (I had made this up for my GSi, only to end up going with GSi ECU anyway)
    Click here to enlarge
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, it seems 2.0 8v calibra front calipers are a bit scarce and more concerning, front 52mm caliper pistons are out of stock everywhere at the mo. I found some calipers, but pistons are rusted up, so no good unless I can find pistons somewhere.

54mm pistons are still available, but I'm not sure if they will work happily with the sb master or if they match up with a 4 stud disc.

What about TS Astra calipers and 256mm 4 stud discs from a non-abs TS? I think they're 52mm too, so maybe out of stock, but lots more 2nd hand ones available...

Rich

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by r23d Click here to enlarge
    Hmm, it seems 2.0 8v calibra front calipers are a bit scarce and more concerning, front 52mm caliper pistons are out of stock everywhere at the mo. I found some calipers, but pistons are rusted up, so no good unless I can find pistons somewhere.

54mm pistons are still available, but I'm not sure if they will work happily with the sb master or if they match up with a 4 stud disc.

What about TS Astra calipers and 256mm 4 stud discs from a non-abs TS? I think they're 52mm too, so maybe out of stock, but lots more 2nd hand ones available...

Rich
    Look for the 96-98 TR Astra with the 1.8 twin cam C18SEL or the GSi with the X20XEV, it's the same rotor and caliper as the four stud Calibra and will still fit the same. The C16SE has the same brakes your Combo has now (This engine looks exactly the same as the C14SE, just 200cc bigger).
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris, you're a veritable library of information!

Much appreciated.

For anyone following this thread, I have found new pistons available on a UK ebay store that also sells seal kits, so they're not obsolete :
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vauxhall-...item3f25641592

Richard

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    Look for the 96-98 TR Astra with the 1.8 twin cam C18SEL or the GSi with the X20XEV, it's the same rotor and caliper as the four stud Calibra and will still fit the same. The C16SE has the same brakes your Combo has now (This engine looks exactly the same as the C14SE, just 200cc bigger).

Thread Information