Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also to note I have the haltech elite for my car, not installed yet as I am still doing bodywork on it, but it is all mapped out for the install

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just had this crazy idea. What if you were able to ditch the factory Siemens POS ECU and fit another factory ECU, say like a Motronic 1.5.5 as per the Astra G Z20LET? The ECU itself is hackable, able to run custom maps and in Z20LET form, has the sensors necessary for a turbo setup. Sure, the obvious requirement would be that it needs to be mapped to suit a turbo 1.8, but I can't see why it can't be done, given how tunable this ECU is. To wire it into the car though, wouldn't be too hard, although having a SRi you will need to swap your engine bay loom for one from a XEP engined or Z10/Z12XE Corsa C. The latter two looms are the better looms to use, but you'll need to find one with the ABS 5.3 connector on it, if it's got the ABS 8 connector, you'll have to splice the connector on to your new loom. And knowing this is also all used for the Corsa C Z20LET swap, it's a given that the ECU will work with most other functions in the car easy enough (exception being cruise control). Apart from that, you'd need all the Z20LET sensors, throttle body, injection loom etc.

But here's where it might come unstuck: Crankshaft sensor - you may need to fit one externally near the balancer pulley (your Z18 should have the bracket for this, some AH Z18s don't) and whether the balancer pulley markings read the same way as the internal sensor on a Z20LET, I'm not sure. Camshaft sensor - similar deal as with the crank sensor, I'm not sure whether the sensors between the Z18 and Z20 would read the same, but you won't be able to swap one over to the other, as they're mounted differently. Coil pack, both engines use different coil packs, but I'm sure they can be made compatible with a little re-wiring work.

The other downside is cost, once you start looking at all this, you may as well go down the Z20LET swap route. Or if you want to be slightly different again, Z16/A16LER Corsa VXR motor, M32 box and Meriva A VXR shafts with a Meriva VXR ECU. Only problem with that is, Meriva A VXR ECUs are like hen's teeth and expensive. Not to mention, turn the wick up on the 1.6 turbo and chances are, the number 4 piston will melt, if it hasn't had forged pistons put in it already.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just throwing this in here... i was just looking for something entirely different when i came across these two companies offering tuning for the Z18XE.... granted one is pretty old but i wonder if they still do them and how much? Never been a fan of PowerChip but if that's your only option? Might even help offer some insight into cracking the ECU?
    http://www.powerchipgroup.com/datasheets/1/hol0114.pdf

Never even heard of these guys, i'm amazed i've never come across them before in all my searches for tuning options!
    http://australia.quantum-tuning.com/...ll&Range=Corsa

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DRMAT Click here to enlarge
    Just throwing this in here... i was just looking for something entirely different when i came across these two companies offering tuning for the Z18XE.... granted one is pretty old but i wonder if they still do them and how much? Never been a fan of PowerChip but if that's your only option? Might even help offer some insight into cracking the ECU?
    http://www.powerchipgroup.com/datasheets/1/hol0114.pdf

Never even heard of these guys, i'm amazed i've never come across them before in all my searches for tuning options!
    http://australia.quantum-tuning.com/...ll&Range=Corsa
    I had the powerchip tune and I found it pretty good, I got the one for 98 fuel also got them to mod the tune for the extra stuff I got done
    the total cost with install was about a $1000

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long ago? Be a bit rough still charging a grand now for ECU tunes for a 10yr old car i reckon! Do you happen to know how they applied the tune to the ECU?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my guess is they tune it through the OBD2 port, same as how i flash my cars ecu. The issue which i came across in the great ecu hack was the axis data is kept seperately from the z axis data (the physical map numbers)

If someome has the map i can always get it off the car, run a comparison to my factory map and see the differences that were changed, this would mean i can pick up fuel maps, ignition maps and the rumored WOT map which is a single line map for WOT operation only (making it hard to find)

This is of course if all they did was flash the car with a tune.
    @andrew you wouldnt by any chance still have the mapped ecu floating around by any chance? Click here to enlarge

Unfortunately i couldnt offer any money etc for the services due to rent being through the roof due to renting with a cat in the middle of the gold coast -.- (some say cat, i say spawn of satan but thats just me, the sacrifices we make for the better half Click here to enlarge )

Also that second website you linked @DRMAT

Im not sure if they know what their doing or not.

The closest to the SRI i could find is this:

Vauxhall Corsa SRi-125 125 154 23% 280 365 30%

It says BHP is 125 (possible as some places lists it as this) however aparrently i have roughly the same torque as an aussie delivered SpecR S15 (200sx) and manage to make a wopping 365nm out of an NA 1.8l after a tune Click here to enlarge
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    16.23 Second 1/4 Mile, No boost..... Yet
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i did find that as well... seems a little... optimistic lol Can't say i've heard of that many different variations in the SRi to begin with, certainly not here anyway.

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SilentShout Click here to enlarge
    my guess is they tune it through the OBD2 port, same as how i flash my cars ecu. The issue which i came across in the great ecu hack was the axis data is kept seperately from the z axis data (the physical map numbers)

If someome has the map i can always get it off the car, run a comparison to my factory map and see the differences that were changed, this would mean i can pick up fuel maps, ignition maps and the rumored WOT map which is a single line map for WOT operation only (making it hard to find)

This is of course if all they did was flash the car with a tune.
    @andrew you wouldnt by any chance still have the mapped ecu floating around by any chance? Click here to enlarge

Unfortunately i couldnt offer any money etc for the services due to rent being through the roof due to renting with a cat in the middle of the gold coast -.- (some say cat, i say spawn of satan but thats just me, the sacrifices we make for the better half Click here to enlarge )

Also that second website you linked @DRMAT

Im not sure if they know what their doing or not.

The closest to the SRI i could find is this:

Vauxhall Corsa SRi-125 125 154 23% 280 365 30%

It says BHP is 125 (possible as some places lists it as this) however aparrently i have roughly the same torque as an aussie delivered SpecR S15 (200sx) and manage to make a wopping 365nm out of an NA 1.8l after a tune Click here to enlarge
    yeah I still have the remapped ecu as I have pretty much kept all of my parts that I have replaced

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DRMAT Click here to enlarge
    How long ago? Be a bit rough still charging a grand now for ECU tunes for a 10yr old car i reckon! Do you happen to know how they applied the tune to the ECU?
    that is still the current price for tune, even a lot of the places in the uk are still charging $600 to $700 pounds for a remap,
    they download your ecu details and email it to powerchip then they apply the tune to the program and email it back to the shop
    and upload it back to your ecu through the obd2 port, the whole process takes about 5 hours from start to drive away

Thread Information