Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ECU options that work with Opel Cars

Greetings all

Moving forward with my turbo build, i am looking into options for engine management, I did previously start a thread on piggyback options, however im opening it up to all options including standalone.

To narrow it down im interested in aftermarket options that work with opel cars.

Options I have been looking into are as follows:

Crude
    RRFPR and an extra injector + controller, very crude and high chance of it going bang so definitly steering clear of this one

Piggyback
    Greddy emanage ultimate - interesting level of control for a piggy back unit, reportedly being able to control both fueling and spark retard, ideal for turbo applications however more aimed towards JDM cars.

AEM FIC6 - Another piggyback unit that allows you to control both fueling and timing retard, however much more user friendly and more options for instillation, Works with both hal and mag types of sensors, And you can upgrade to larger injectors and just enter the percentage size bigger and it automatically adjusts all the maps to suit so it will still run like factory. Also works with a few different aftermarket o2 sensors, specifically ones that are wideband, and mimic narrowband output to keep the factory ecu happy. If i was going for piggyback, i would go with this.

Standalone

Anything haltec seems to be really good for GM cars, however at is core the corsa c is european so i am unsure if it will work. The issues with standalone is there is only one ECU i know of that works with EPS (the sprint ultimate or something like that)

Incredibly expensive to install and tune, also very time consuming as the car will need to be rewired from scratch, the factory ecu may even need to stay in to control the dash etc due to the immobiliser.

Other

Getting the factory ecu flashed would be the easiest option due to no rewiring required, however with no one in Oz catering for it, and the great ecu hack project at a permanent standstill due to siemens programming being a B*tch it would be difficult to organise a flash with my ecu most likely having to travel across the globe and back.

If i was to decide on one, the AEM FIC6 is the way i would go, at $450 it would be the best bang for buck option for turbocharging the car. however i am told from some people it wont work with the engine even though it covers both types of sensors. Alternatively if i can get in contact with Warren G maybe he can do bench flashing, havnt tried contacting him quite yet due to easter etc, soon though.

Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket ecus and their opels? any opinions on what to steer clear from etc? (besides a crude setup as your gonna have a bad time) Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Last edited by SilentShout; 7th April 2015 at 12:54 AM. Reason: added option D
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    16.23 Second 1/4 Mile, No boost..... Yet
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it helps I asked a well known tuner in adelaide about a custom tune for my Z20LET and was told a unichip piggyback ecu was the go, I'm not so sure about the specifics of features and the like but seemed to have some goodies like remapping throttle response with the fly by wire accelerator, launch control and mapping our cat errors. He showed me a dyno map of a Z20LER he had just done with really good gains, quoted $1850 to buy, install and tune
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, i havnt heard of unichip before but ill check it out. Fortunately the z20let ecu is a bosch motronic and if i had one of them i would already have the ecu files cracked for it. Unfortunately siemens have made their ecu rather cryptic meaning the simtec 71 in my car is uncrackable without a bench setup. Ill look into the unichip though as the fly by wire throttle is where the 1.8 runs into trouble with aftermarket options iirc. Thank you =)

Update: is this the one you were talking about? http://www.dastek.co.za/about_the_unichip.htm

Website hasnt been updated since 2010 and its a south african company from what i can see.

The only other option was a european Unichip site however it only spoke of remapping ecus and the only opel/vauxhall they listed was the 1.9 ctdi engine.
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wasn't told anything by the guy other than the name of it but assumed it was the one here: http://dynomotive.com.au/unichip
    It doesn't say much about compatibility but I guess he knew what he was on about haha, he said it was easy to remove and install if you got a new car so assumed it was fairly universal
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you want to know about standalone options, talk to @andrew. I believe he's running a Haltech unit on his SRi.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    if you wanna know some options (also about tunes using the original ecu) go to Cleveland, just around the corner for you. Bayside Performance Services (BPS) and talk to James. I warn you though that it might not be cheap.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleveland is a good 1hr 40min drive away from me granted theres no traffic, and I already sent 2 emails enquiring about their tuning services in regards to the sri, havnt called yet but the few other mobs (chiptorque etc) closer to home that i spoke to either laughed or genuinely didnt know what to do even if i spoon fed them all my findings in my ecu hack project =(
    Holden Barina XC SRI

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Had a Link G4 Atom installed in the calibra. From memory was about $2.5k. That's the unit, fully installed, car dynoed and tuned to suit. The standard ecu was kept to run dash functions, immobiliser etc was taken car of by a mongoose alarm system

Sent from Sega Mega System
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SilentShout Click here to enlarge
    Cleveland is a good 1hr 40min drive away from me granted theres no traffic, and I already sent 2 emails enquiring about their tuning services in regards to the sri, havnt called yet but the few other mobs (chiptorque etc) closer to home that i spoke to either laughed or genuinely didnt know what to do even if i spoon fed them all my findings in my ecu hack project =(
    James tuned my old car, he's extremely knowledgeable . 1hr 40min is nothing mate, further for me.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had bayside do me up a quote they said $1750 for ECU, allow $700-800 for install, $450-$550 for tuning and $100-$150 for plugs and pins etc. Give you an idea, to tune the factory ECU will run $1200 for first 4 hours and $165 per hour after that, that was for a haltech ps1000

Haltech have a better ecu for the corsa c's now haltech elite 1500 which is more compatible with our engines, cost $2300
    the biggest thing going for it is Drive By Wire (DBW) Throttle Control also has
    4 x Fuel Injection Outputs
    4 x Ignition Outputs
    20 x Digital Outputs
    10 x Analogue Voltage Inputs
    USB Laptop Communications up to 1 MB/s
    6 x Engine Position Inputs with extensive trigger type support
    Programmable Injector Peak and Hold Currents
    OBDII Capable - Set and clear diagnostic trouble codes, view live engine data
    ESP Calibration Software - Intuitive and easy to use
    Dual CAN Bus communication for OEM and Haltech CAN Expansion
    User definable 5D Tuning - Tune by gear, Cam angle or any channel for ultimate flexibility
    Variable cam control - Independently control up to 4 camshafts
    Auto tune capabilities - Short and Long term fuel, ignition, boost and idle control learning
    Single Channel Knock Control - with high speed digital filtering for accurate detection
    Multi-fuel Support - Support for Petrol (Gasoline),LPG, Methanol and Ethanol
    E85 Flex Fuel Ready – Direct connection to sensor.
    Closed Loop Boost Control – Multiple Modes – Tune by gear, wheel speed or time
    Closed Loop Idle Control – With learning for consistent idle stability
    Closed Loop 02 Control – Dual bank control for precise tuning
    Anti-Lag and Launch Control – Drag and Rally modes
    Data logging – Up to 40 channels of logging. Sampling rates up to 5ms
    Multi Level Engine Protection – Set limits for sensors and protect your engine
    ECU comes fully enabled, no additional charges for advanced features

Thread Information