Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I'm over this fad of FB pages for car clubs/groups. A lot of the time, they're full of zit-ridden teenage ricers that have the belief that if it says it's true on the internet, therefore it must be. There's a couple of good ones out there, but FB lacks the best parts of the forums, like being able to find topics of relevance or have your build thread. It's too easy for stuff get lost on a single FB page. Great for newsfeeding or notifying of upcoming events, but not much else.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    To be honest, I'm over this fad of FB pages for car clubs/groups. A lot of the time, they're full of zit-ridden teenage ricers that have the belief that if it says it's true on the internet, therefore it must be. There's a couple of good ones out there, but FB lacks the best parts of the forums, like being able to find topics of relevance or have your build thread. It's too easy for stuff get lost on a single FB page. Great for newsfeeding or notifying of upcoming events, but not much else.
    I agree with Chris here. A facebook group will never pull me away from using the forum as I feel it's a much nicer environment. Being on the forum feels like having a quality hangout with friends or family. A facebook group feels like being invited to that party for a friend of a friend with music turned up too loud to speak and you know one or two people and get over it pretty quickly.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The only problem with this environment is the bugs.... But rest assured, once we find the right bug spray, itll be more comfortable again lol
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha yeah, I've run/administrated phpbb forums before and I know how much of a headache they can be so I can appreciate how you guys have your work cut out for you on this one.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look, you guys don't really know me well, but I have run a large car based facebook group before and rest assured, it was not overrun by zit faced teenage ricers. (at least not while i was running it)

i'm a member of two XR5 forums, a moderator with 16000 posts on one of those and a founding member with over 5000 posts on the other. I'm also a member of an XR4 forum and was previously a cruise crew member there too.

all of the points Chris raised above about forums v FB groups are things I have said myself many times. A FB group is a convenient way to bring all the different groups together in a social environment. The page is NOT intended to take away from the forums and I will actively be encouraging people to frequent the various forums.

Since I joined this forum early last year I have found it to be a vibrant, well supported site. I would not want to do anything to detract from that.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just my personal experience with some of these "clubs" that form on FB, is that they are also run by wannabes. Yes, I have seen a couple that are run properly, but as I've said, most of the time I'll spend on a forum. If used properly, as has been mentioned by yourself and I, it's a great extension for forums. I think what frustrates me is that there are certain people who "run" some of these pages, who think "Ooh, I have a FB account and I'm going to run a club/page, even though I have no idea what I'm doing or on about". I've seen one or two, where the "owner" deletes comments and posts at random, all because something gets up his nose. Needless to say, I left the pages (one of which I was made an admin on) and blocked the idiot.

Anyway, might pop on over and have a look at it anyway. So sick of seeing my friends' posts with their kids starting school at the moment. Need more cars on my feed.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pretty sure i saw you join? i have posted today to see what the breakdown of membership is by state. hopefully we will be able to get some meets and stuff going in each state in combination with the various forums.

as for deleting posts, the intent of the page is clearly defined in the description. i will delete stuff that is outside of that if necessary and also try to make sure there is none of the trolling and crap that can occur on some pages. it is a work in progress and i don't know how successful it will end up being, but i am willing to try.

Thread Information