I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G'day from Perth (Astra J AS Select)

G'day everyone, just purchased a new Astra J AS Select 1.6L turbo (auto). My wife picked it up Friday but I haven't actually driven it yet, I'm working up north on the Wheatstone Project in WA so hanging to get back to Perth Friday to check it out. I currently own a Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R and a Nissan Stagea Autech 260RS so I'm not new to turbos.

I'm looking to put some after rims on it, tint the windows 35% front and 20% rear + do a flash tune. Can anyone point me in a good direction for some decent after market rims manufacturers? I've found 5x115 stud pattern are hard to find! Has anyone flash tuned their car? I found Mace Engineering group (www.maceengineering.com.au) do flash tuning for Cruze's so I'm assuming the Astra wouldn't be much different? Not sure about tuning without a dyno though..?

Lastly, any info on the FlexFit bike carrier system? Was it only a Euro thing, or did some cars come optioned with them in Aus?

Cheers, Craig.

Astra-3983.jpg
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Welcome to oa

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    welcome to the forum mate. The 1.6 is pretty lame and has no real noticeable power (specially if you're used to driving cars with more power). Therefore a tune is a great thing for these engines. There are a few options and the one you found would do the trick. I think they would get their base tune from a database in europe so though it will not be the best tune, generic, it'll probably be a tune well within the safety limits. Alternatively you can get an eds ipf which is also a remote tune but at least that one is tested. I do recall reading something that you need a tune for the automatic gearbox on these as well but I cant remember exactly why that was. There are many upgrade parts for these cars specially from the UK (courtenay is one of them). I do have a tune but its kinda different and not something i would recommend on these cars. I got all available options on my car and that flexfit wasn't even available when i ordered my car. I guess its a european thing, seeing its a integrated bike carrier system. you'd need to change your bumper for that i think and might not have done testing in Australia. Enjoy the car mate.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply guys. Dutchy - I haven't driven the car at all, but I was hoping it would be semi quick off the mark. Obviously it's no GT-R, and it's going to be my wife's daily so it doesn't need to be a ball tearer! I did a quick Google search on the EDS IPF - is this only available from Europe? If so, I might try the Mace Engineering map, apparently they ask you to do a diagnostics run or something and send them back the readings, then they modify the map to suit and send it back to you to upload it. Again, I'd rather do this on a dyno, but seems like it would be a pretty safe tune.

What's the FlexRide adaptive chassis control? Do all cars have this? I suppose I should wait until Friday when I can actually drive the thing!! Haha! I'm asking the wife all these questions, and she's like.... 'I don't know'. Cars are cars to her....
    Last edited by rb26; 16th December 2014 at 11:12 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Craig,

I've got the Astra J Sport, which has the same 1.6 and auto (though different transmission tune). I find the engine has some good power, but only once you get past the turbo lag (about 2-3k RPM). The tuning of my 'sports' auto is appalling though and doesn't help the power situation at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rb26 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the reply guys. Dutchy - I haven't driven the car at all, but I was hoping it would be semi quick off the mark. Obviously it's no GT-R, and it's going to be my wife's daily so it doesn't need to be a ball tearer! I did a quick Google search on the EDS IPF - is this only available from Europe? If so, I might try the Mace Engineering map, apparently they ask you to do a diagnostics run or something and send them back the readings, then they modify the map to suit and send it back to you to upload it. Again, I'd rather do this on a dyno, but seems like it would be a pretty safe tune.

What's the FlexRide adaptive chassis control? Do all cars have this? I suppose I should wait until Friday when I can actually drive the thing!! Haha! I'm asking the wife all these questions, and she's like.... 'I don't know'. Cars are cars to her....
    Drive the car first on Friday and you'll see what I mean. Some more on the flexride, http://www.opeltech.org/cman-43.html which is indeed not available on all models.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Craig,

I have the Astra J 1.6T Auto too but in the sports tourer body. I did some research on tuning and contacted Mace Engineering (which use Trifecta tunes from the US). They use PPF tool to tune the Cruze and said is not applicable to the Astra J (or so they say). They advised to look for tuners that use EFILive tuning tool.

I am then leaning toward EDS IPF
    Last edited by rocky424; 17th December 2014 at 04:47 PM.
    2013 Astra Sports Tourer. 1.6T. Auto. Phantom Grey. GlossBlack Vinyl Roof, Dark Streetlegal tints, OEM 19 wheels, LED: DRLs; H7 low beams; foglights; plate lights; interior lights, Shark fin FM aerial, Smoked side repeaters + chrome bulbs, OEM glovebox shelf, OEM sunglass holder, OEM Astra Mats, EDS phase 1 tune, Pipercross Panel Filter, Aluminium sport pedals, DBA T2 brake rotors, turbosmart BOV
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...-Sports-Tourer

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, also from Perth.

The EDS IPF system is available from Regal Autosport in the UK.

Walkinshaw Performance were doing some Cruze tuning a while back ( you could try Formula Dyno Tech here in Perth )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, Rocky that's a pity I thought that Mace would be the go. Kabel - I might try Walkingshaw. On the whole I'm extremely happy with the car, here's my positives and negatives:-

Positives

1) So damn quiet! Hardly no road noise at all.
    2) Interior is so comfy, steering and seat adjustment is excellent, and the little things like the red interior lights at night are a nice touch
    3) The build quality is excellent, definitely feels like a more expensive car
    4) Good entertainment system, albeit having to plug in the phone to play music

Negatives

1) Slow acceleration after 60km/h or so
    2) Although the ICE system is good, it takes ages to work out how to use it, the sat nav and the voice prompt is garbage
    3) Trying to work out what extras the car has as opposed to the manual has taken a bit! There's so many things it doesn't have that I thought it would.
    4) Passenger seat seems way too high for my liking
    5) The auto trans is a bit sluggish

All in all though, a good little car that with a tune and a few little things here and there would make it a great car!

Edit: Oh yeah my car doesn't have the Adaptive Chassis Control, although from the sounds of it doesn't seem like I'm missing anything

Thread Information