Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top mount vs side mount vs front mount

Alright just wondering if anyone can give advice on pros and cons for each setup. I googled it but the internet is awash with personal opinion rather than science.

Im asking because i was looking for options for my future turbo plans. Originally i was going to run a side mount in the drivers side fender as theres lots of unused space, it saves all the ass farting around cutting the bumper to make a front mount fit and should be fine for a mild 7psi setup.

The turbo i have (IHI RHB5) is setup so that the outlet faces upwards which would suit a top mount, shortening the piping needed making it far easier to work with and reduce lag i guess. Also suits the direction of the inlet manifold opening being on top too. The bonnet could be cut open leaving the support frame in tact and a small non wanky bonnet scoop could be installed to dorect airflow to the top mount.

I had a look around the front bumper when i was doing my major service and it seems there is basically no room at all for a front mount without cutting alot of it away.

Thoughts?? Any experiance from some subaru owners maybe?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    16.23 Second 1/4 Mile, No boost..... Yet
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have a twin turbo Subaru Legacy which is same IC setup as WRX etc. Top mount is good for short pipe runs and giving reduced lag but it's very easy to suffer from heatsoak at which point the IC becomes essentially useless. On a hot day, in traffic or driving hard it WILL heatsoak, how long before it's useless depends on the temps and how hot your engine bay as a whole is as well. This can be countered somewhat with waterspray setups though but that only works when on the move and you have the added complication of setting it all up. For a fun daily driver though a top mount would work fine and be easiest. You can also look at a water to air intercooler for top mount... slightly more work than a straight top mount but substantially more effective.

Your side mount idea could be easy but you're going to have no air flow and a long and complicated piping setup = lag.

Front mount is ideal but again custom piping, lack of space etc.

IMHO a top mount or a nice water-air setup would be best bet for what you want.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    TX Autosport's IC kit for the Z20LET conversions is actually designed to sit behind the bumper without the need for cutting it away. Well, I guess I'll be able to tell you more soon enough anyway.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As Chris said, you can get one designed for it albeit a bigger engine. May just find you'll need brackets that will push back the radiator and a/c

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Corsa C TX cooler isn't that much bigger than the factory Astra unit, it's just mounted in a more optimal position. Does help if you have a facelift front bumper too Click here to enlarge
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To add to my previous comment about the TX intercooler kit, they also include a pair of 9 or 10 inch fans, so if you removed the original AC fan (the one on the front of the condenser), you could put these two in above the intercooler and wire them up to the AC fan connector. In my case, they'd be drawing air straight in from the grille area (which again, airflow is helped by the facelift grille and more so with the Irmy grille), where the intercooler draws 100% of it's flow from the lower grille area.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So there is an IC kit for the C that could be modified to fit the 1.8 Click here to enlarge that would be awesome. Im not really fussed about lag so to speak, just space concerns.

On a different note i saw a patrol the other day with a thermo fan on top of the top mount, dont know if it would make it better in any way though. Personally id love to not have to cut holes in my bonnet to make it work. Ill suss out that front mount kit. The other option i was going to look at was a small rectangular IC like those thin bar looking ones. I think thats what the dbilas kit comes with.
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checked out the TX kit and it wont work as on the z18 unfortunately due to where the exhaust goes under the engine the turbo would be mounted the opposite way to a z20let engine. Click here to enlarge

But it gives me hope as it means theres room for a front mount. Checking now to see if they do jist the intercooler with brackets and no piping.
    Holden Barina XC SRI

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going that way look into just a cheap core off fleabay.
    "treading on the throttle pedal gives you some idea of what it might be like to blow yourself up"
    hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: fear of long words...
    2003 Astra G Sri-T (very blaack)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SilentShout Click here to enlarge
    On a different note i saw a patrol the other day with a thermo fan on top of the top mount, dont know if it would make it better in any way though
    Most factory intercooled Patrols and Pajeros have thermo fans mounted on the underside of the TMIC from factory. They're not awesome but they certainly increase flow through the cooler when you're offroad and only cruising around at 5km/hr.

Thread Information