Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feasibility of a z20let swap

Hi guys,

I know the answer is always, always going to be "buy a turbo from the get go" but hear me out.

I love my car.

I love that it's 4-door, I love that I've got everything set up inside how I want, I've done the electrics and leathers etc.

The ONLY thing I don't like about my car is it's lack of oomph and I really, really want a manual (especially after booting around in my GF's Up!).

So to that end, what kind of work needs to be done for a total z20let swap?

Engine and gearbox obviously (with pedals), ECU and dash from the donor I'm imagine as well. So... in essence a front cut.

In terms of physically fitting it all, are they the same engine mounts and loom points etc? Like if you got a whole donor and had them one next to the other, could you literally 'drag and drop' as it were? Or do you need to cut new holes through the firewall etc. etc.

I know it's financially probably not the clever-est thing to do..... but I just really like my car Click here to enlarge

Failing all that!

Thoughts on turbo-ing my 1.8?

Cheers

M
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From what i hear, it's much better value to get a Z20LET to chuck in there rather than turbo your 1.8L.
    the front cut sounds like the best option, i have no idea on the technical stuff though, i'm pretty useless on that front.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    if you really want to do it.

step 1) check with vic roads if you can put in a larger motor into your car and what is required
    step 2) if step one is all good. Buy a complete car. if its had a crash. just make sure suspension and engine bay are undamaged.
    step 3) swap everything over. you should just be left with most of your original interior, body and thats about it. everything electrical and mechanical needs to be swapped.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Buy @Lonewolf s silver car it's a good combo
    Arden Blue VXR- EDS 335PS 480NM
    Now
    VW Golf R MK6 Stage 2+

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by guy 27 Click here to enlarge

step 1) check with vic roads if you can put in a larger motor into your car and what is required
    step 2) if step one is all good. Buy a complete car. if its had a crash. just make sure suspension and engine bay are undamaged.
    step 3) swap everything over. you should just be left with most of your original interior, body and thats about it. everything electrical and mechanical needs to be swapped.
    Ooooooofff that's a massive job then.

Gosh dang it.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mickos Click here to enlarge
    Buy @Lonewolf s silver car it's a good combo
    I saw that and was suuuuuuuuuper tempted. Literally the furthest away from me it could be though :P Also I don't have that cash right now but jesus what a car.

Cheers

M

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MikeCheck Click here to enlarge
    Also I don't have that cash right now but jesus what a car.
    when you consider how much the all the parts will cost and then combine it with the labor costs (even if you're doing it yourself, think of what else you could be spending this time on) you're better off buying one already turbo. Its like buying a broken calibra, someone needs to get you diagnosed for insanity asap.
    Last edited by glider; 17th October 2014 at 07:21 PM.
    Glider aka Toby, 94 Calibra Turbo
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Being in the process of a Z20LET swap myself (albeit into a Corsa), it's not a cheap process and you really need to be committed to do it. I like the idea of a 4/5 door turbo, but for what you can get the whole car for these days, you may as well just get the SRi-T like everyone else seems to do these days.

Or you could be like me and have a fear of being considered sheep-like in behaviour and do something nuts like just going ahead with it, regardless of cost. But ultimately, if you're insane enough to do the swap, never add up the receipts.

BTW, I picked up Z20LET and F23 with wiring looms, ECU, etc. for $2000 + $200 for shipping from Ozwreck in Dandenong.

Also, if you're on your Ps still, you will also be ineligible to drive a car that's had an engine swap too.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    Being in the process of a Z20LET swap myself (albeit into a Corsa), it's not a cheap process and you really need to be committed to do it. I like the idea of a 4/5 door turbo, but for what you can get the whole car for these days, you may as well just get the SRi-T like everyone else seems to do these days.

Or you could be like me and have a fear of being considered sheep-like in behaviour and do something nuts like just going ahead with it, regardless of cost. But ultimately, if you're insane enough to do the swap, never add up the receipts.

BTW, I picked up Z20LET and F23 with wiring looms, ECU, etc. for $2000 + $200 for shipping from Ozwreck in Dandenong.

Also, if you're on your Ps still, you will also be ineligible to drive a car that's had an engine swap too.
    Off my Ps for quite a while now, so all good on that front.

I think it's wishful thinking. Just getting a bit car restless as I'm sure all of you can understand :P

Looks like its just save for a standard turbo and swap what I can over from my TS!

Cheers guys!

M

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MikeCheck Click here to enlarge
    Hi guys,

I know the answer is always, always going to be "buy a turbo from the get go"

M
    Yep in most if not all cases especially if it's going to be your daily driver just do the above or buy something else that fits your requirement/s.

Having been there and done this sort of thing in the past more than once and from long ago there was a time where it was much easier doing these types of conversions, these days it's a lot more hassle and grief than end benefits, these types of conversions suit vehicles that are not for daily usage so you don't have the hassle of compliance regulations and insurance...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by guy 27 Click here to enlarge

If you still must or want to do it, that above is the order to begin doing things - good luck !
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Regular Shortstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't be a problem with Vicroads as it's an engine that came out in the car. I think you'd have to change brakes and suspension to keep them happy though. There was an Arden blue SRI-T on eBay recently for under $2k buy it now. Been hit in the front left but not too hard.

Thread Information