Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howdy from Adelaide!

I'm a former American, now living in the northern suburbs of Adelaide.

I've got (well, it's my fiance's but I'm the one that fixes and drives it the most) a 1989 LD Astra SLX.

I'm a mechanic (just have no tools), so if anyone is having problems and they're close to me, feel free to swing by and I'll see what I can figure out.

Cheers!
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome along mate! I'm at north haven. There is a few members up your way.

Also from memory the LD Astra is based on the Nissan pulsar? Not the Opel models. Just checking

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Welcome to OA
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do think it's Pulsar based. Unfortunately this was the only forum I could find that actually dealt with Astras at all, and the one Nissan forum I tried was full of arrogant jerks because I wasn't driving a Skyline.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome along. I too am from the northern suburbs (Davoren Park, classy I know :P ).

The LB/LD Astras share a platform with the Nissan N13 Pulsar. It was originally built under a scheme that saw a couple of different manufacturers build the same car and market it under their own brands to try and drive more local car manufacturing (A lot of good that did us). Anyway, the body is all Pulsar, but the engine and gearbox used is Holden/Opel Family II (as also used in the Camiras of the same era). Came in either 16LF or 18LE engined variants. Only the imported N13 Pulsars ever featured any form of Nissan engine. My other half also happens to own an auto N13 Pulsar with the 18LE engine. Still going on strong for it's age and over 300,000kms.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I'm running the 18LE engine.

I do have a very good question for you Chris. My Astra has a gauge set without a tachometer on it, and the gauges are all crapping out (fuel level, engine temp, indicator lights). I was looking on Ebay, and saw a cluster with a tach on it, that came from an exact match for my car in appearance and whatnot. Is that normal, that some models had a tach, and others didn't? I can easily run a tach cable to get it going, if it's not going to be an issue.

Also, I freaking love Ebay. My Astra needs some work done (fiance is one of those people that doesn't know much about cars, sadly). If I bought the parts at a shop here, I'd be spending well over a thousand dollars. However, Ebay has everything I need, for a lot cheaper. Like both CV axles for 150 with 32 freight. Certainly much better than 300+ for each of them.

I love that little car though, it's got some serious pep to it, and is rather fun to drive. I just wish I could be refrigerant for the A/C system like I could in the US to fix it myself.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Anhevius Click here to enlarge
    Yea, I'm running the 18LE engine.

I do have a very good question for you Chris. My Astra has a gauge set without a tachometer on it, and the gauges are all crapping out (fuel level, engine temp, indicator lights). I was looking on Ebay, and saw a cluster with a tach on it, that came from an exact match for my car in appearance and whatnot. Is that normal, that some models had a tach, and others didn't? I can easily run a tach cable to get it going, if it's not going to be an issue.

Also, I freaking love Ebay. My Astra needs some work done (fiance is one of those people that doesn't know much about cars, sadly). If I bought the parts at a shop here, I'd be spending well over a thousand dollars. However, Ebay has everything I need, for a lot cheaper. Like both CV axles for 150 with 32 freight. Certainly much better than 300+ for each of them.

I love that little car though, it's got some serious pep to it, and is rather fun to drive. I just wish I could be refrigerant for the A/C system like I could in the US to fix it myself.
    Yeah, the Pulsar's gauges do the same thing. From what a good mate of mine tells me (a Nissan/Datsun nut of sorts, I lost count how many he owns), the dashes of this era were notorious for dry solder joints. When the solder goes "dry" (ie not enough flux was used during the solder process, causing a dry and brittle joint that eventually breaks), it wreaks havoc with how the dash operates. His fix was take the cluster apart and re-solder the joints. Taking this into account, I'd just take a trip to down to U-Pull-It, buy the tacho cluster and resolder the joints. I'd say they would be somewhat interchangeable between Nissan and Holden versions, but yeah you may need to run a wire for the tacho. By the way, my missus' Pulsar is a '88 Q with the "sportier" equipment.

And yes, eBay is a good source for parts for these cars, as is the previous mentioned U-Pull-It. I live like two minutes away from the Elizabeth yard and there's always heaps of Pulsars and some Astras down there. Recently, I priced a set of driveshafts for a TS Astra SRi Turbo from a Holden dealer and the best possible price was like $1900! A customer I deal with from work supplied me a set for $280 (Customer runs his own eBay store from West Thebarton, does all sorts of car bits too).

The 18LE isn't a shabby engine for it's age. Still goes okay with a three speed auto, but definitely better in manual I'm sure.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just realized, you said you're in Davo Park...so am I! (Yay Derroville?)

If you're talking about the yard on Womma, it's a good one. I got an alternator there and it's been running strong for several months.

The auto is good, I'm certainly having no complaints from it. Now, that said, if I get my hands on the parts needed I will swap in a manual.

First though I need to get a new set of spark plug leads, mine have kicked the bucket. I think three of them might be original. Currently, I've only got 136k on the clock, but she still runs strong. Once I get legal to work, I plan on doing a full overhaul to the engine. It's got a lifter ticking, so I'm going to just tear the head off, redo all the gaskets, new lifters all around, and replace the water pump and oil pump at the same time. That should keep the little beast running for several more years.

That's the bad thing about being a mechanic...you always find something to work on. Once I'm working, I'm probably going to put an easy grand in parts under the hood.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Anhevius Click here to enlarge
    I just realized, you said you're in Davo Park...so am I! (Yay Derroville?)

If you're talking about the yard on Womma, it's a good one. I got an alternator there and it's been running strong for several months.

The auto is good, I'm certainly having no complaints from it. Now, that said, if I get my hands on the parts needed I will swap in a manual.

First though I need to get a new set of spark plug leads, mine have kicked the bucket. I think three of them might be original. Currently, I've only got 136k on the clock, but she still runs strong. Once I get legal to work, I plan on doing a full overhaul to the engine. It's got a lifter ticking, so I'm going to just tear the head off, redo all the gaskets, new lifters all around, and replace the water pump and oil pump at the same time. That should keep the little beast running for several more years.

That's the bad thing about being a mechanic...you always find something to work on. Once I'm working, I'm probably going to put an easy grand in parts under the hood.
    You don't happen to own a white Astra in Rosewarne Crescent by any chance?

Trust me, it doesn't take long to spend grand on a car. About a month ago, I spent $2200 just on a Z20LET engine for my Corsa/Barina SRi and easily that much again in parts to make it all fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine's white, but not there. I'm over on Redcliff street.

And I know all too well what cars can cost. After I get the Astra up to snuff, I plan on buying a Mitsubishi GTO, and doing some serious work to it. Rough estimate so far is almost 60k in parts alone already. Engine swap,, bigger turbo system, custom heads, the whole package.

I also have a rather crazy idea. The stock motor from the GTO would fit in the engine bay of the Astra, with some work. I'm sure it would be quite amusing to have a 238kw AWD Astra running around. (Yes, I have issues)

Thread Information