Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Australian Holden engineer working on German-made Holden Commodore

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...-1227082071917

News Corp Australia can exclusively reveal one of Holden’s most senior engineers has been based in Germany on a top-secret assignment for the past four years working on the car that will become the next Commodore.

Marinos Panayiotou, who worked at Holden from 2001, has been based at Opel in Germany since 2010 as the Lead Program Manager.

Despite the posting to Germany almost four years ago, Holden insiders insist the company had no plans at that stage to end local production of the Commodore.

Whether or not it was deliberate move, Mr Panayiotou’s appointment has placed Holden in an ideal position to ensure General Motors’ new global sedan meets the needs of Australian buyers.

Holden was working on the design of the Chinese version of the new sedan until the company announced last December it would end manufacturing in Australia in 2017.

The imported Commodore will likely be sold alongside the locally-made model for a short time as local manufacturing winds down in the second half of 2017.

Why is the next Holden Commodore coming from Germany?
    Because Opel already builds more cars there and can export them more profitably.

Why is there no V8 in the new Commodore?
    Because it is front-wheel-drive, and strict European emissions mean that engines are downsizing. Most V8s are being replaced by V6 engines, and V6s are in turn being replaced by four-cylinders.

Why is there no ute version of the new Commodore?
    Because “car-derived” utes such as the Commodore and Falcon are a dying breed; the market has shifted to dual-cab “body-on-frame” pick-ups such as the Toyota HiLux

Will Holden call the new car a Commodore?
    For now,Holden says the new car will be called a Commodore. But insiders say opinion within the company is still divided. Diehard fans believe the new car has changed so much that it should not be called a Commodore and the name should be retired (just as Ford will retire the Falcon nameplate)

What will happen to Holden Commodores in V8 Supercars?
    No change.New rules mean that car makers can run a sedan body in V8 Supercars even if there is no V8 available in showrooms

*Full Article at Link
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So what I took out of that is that the insignia will now be running in the v8supercars championship from 2017 lol
    I personally don't think it should be called a Commodore but that's me.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by faneca Click here to enlarge
    So what I took out of that is that the insignia will now be running in the v8supercars championship from 2017 lol
    I personally don't think it should be called a Commodore but that's me.
    agree with you regarding the name, its time to move on and forward, I would personally prefer the Insignia nameplate - one less badge to change when you Opelise!!!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh crap! Does that mean we're about to become trendy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A "top secret assignment" ....................? Working on integrating Holden badges onto an Insignia ! Click here to enlarge
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They might move the locating pin so you can't swap them? Lol
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll be waiting to see how many of the local bogans would still be turfing the Lion in favour of the Bowtie.

As for this engineer, I would say he's been there since 2010 to have initially help set up the Opel Insignia for release here (as the short-lived Opel Insignia), but when Holden decided to end local production, as they said he was in an ideal position to set up the next model to replace it.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

I'm new here, please be nice dgcruzing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just need to keep an eye on these websites to see what is going to get placed in to the australian market.
    I have just spent the last 5 years running round China going in to every car brand you can think of, all up about close on 2,000 factories I think I would have visited as the company I worked for does CNC cutting fluids, cleaning and Anti-rust solutions for anything that is metal produced. So I got to see all the ramp up of brands that where long forgotten but will start to see more and more off as they roll off the production lines made under western\Asian (includes all of the Japanese, Korean brands) brand names in Chinese plants.

GM-
    http://media.gm.com/media/cn/en/gm/vehicles.html

Ford
    http://www.ford.com.cn/cars
    throw this one in to Google chrome and it will translate it for you to navigate round.

Ford Mazda
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changan_Ford_Mazda

There is one brand I wouldn't touch with a barge pole and thats BYD even though Warren Buffet has through a stack of money at it as I just know how corrupt their quality control and production engineers are.. Long term problems in these for sure.

On the other hand, Dongfeng has a tight control on things and it shows in their stamp of the brands they are making
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongfeng_Motor

All in all, get used to it, as far as I can see every part for every car is made in China and any time one of the brands try to kid you that its made in Japan, Germany, Korea, US... they are all laughing all the way to the bank. I would love to have a full breakdown of exactly where any of the German cars are made as they haven't been top JV partner of Auto Manufacturing in China for the fun of it.. now that there is a direct link freight train link from chongqing to Duisburg this opens up trade even further for them to capitalise on the new plants that have been built throughout Chongqing, Chengdu, Xian and even as far as Wuhan.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...-duisburg.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to it. Commodore with its Opel heritage means a lot to generations of Australians but the name should be retired in favour of Insignia. GM have already announced the OPC (or is it VXR?) version for Australian market under Insignia. Please make the hatch version available, Holden.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread Information