Thread: Hello from CCP!

OpelAus Forum Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by smart770 Click here to enlarge
    Hello,
    I have a 2012 Opel Astra Sports (red) which I try to take relatively good care of. I find that the duco (sp) is quite soft and susceptible to the slightest mark/scratching. This is a problem. I use a wax on it but it clearly doesn't give me the hard coating I desire. Interested in what you would recommend from the local auto shop? or would you recommend a professional job on it to seal and secure it?? Many thanks.

Hey mate, sorry for the super late reply we have been beyond hectic lately!

Take a look how your maintenance is first as this could be the cause of some of the marring on the paint. How do you wash/dry/and what do you use to do so as well? (Sounds crazy i know)

I'm new here, please be nice smart770's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I wash using quality soap and plain water and with a special sponge for washing cars.
    I've just bought some Mother's wax which looks great and may do the trick.

OpelAus Forum Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I wash using quality soap and plain water and with a special sponge for washing cars.
    I've just bought some Mother's wax which looks great and may do the trick.
    Could be a small part of the issue!

You definitely should be using a Microfibre or Lambswool Wash Mitt - Why? - simply because a sponge will drag any dirt over the surface and continue to do so until you rinse. Where a microfibre/or lambswool will capture any dirt into the center of the weave and avoid dragging it over the surface. The other issue as well is that a sponge is synthetic, the dirt sits on the surface always. This is the most common way to mar the paintwork.

This also is the same for a chamois. The synthetics are the worst, followed by the genuine 'skin' type ones as well. Same principle as above basically.

2 Buckets when you wash is another key factor - 1 for your pH Neutral Wash Shampoo and 1 for your fresh water to rinse, see here for more info

Sounds crazy, but this is the most comment way of damaging paintwork.

I'm new here, please be nice smart770's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CarCareProducts Click here to enlarge
    Could be a small part of the issue!

You definitely should be using a Microfibre or Lambswool Wash Mitt - Why? - simply because a sponge will drag any dirt over the surface and continue to do so until you rinse. Where a microfibre/or lambswool will capture any dirt into the center of the weave and avoid dragging it over the surface. The other issue as well is that a sponge is synthetic, the dirt sits on the surface always. This is the most common way to mar the paintwork.

This also is the same for a chamois. The synthetics are the worst, followed by the genuine 'skin' type ones as well. Same principle as above basically.

2 Buckets when you wash is another key factor - 1 for your pH Neutral Wash Shampoo and 1 for your fresh water to rinse, see here for more info

Sounds crazy, but this is the most comment way of damaging paintwork.
    Thanks again for the response. So maybe its my Chammois which is the issue which I use to dry the car. So I can use a microfibre to dry the car?

OpelAus Forum Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the response. So maybe its my Chammois which is the issue which I use to dry the car. So I can use a microfibre to dry the car?
    I would definitely consider to change, you can go for a microfibre chamois or a waffle weave. Whichever you feel more comfortable with at the end of the day!

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information