Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah sri turbo questions!

hi everyone new here, i have some questions about my partners astra.

we recently purchased a AH sri turbo to replace her TS CDX
    which was starting to have a few problems after 245000kms it was never really a good car constant issues and SLOW!
    so im hopping the AH is a much better car, any way my questions are:

1 i recently changed the oil and filter i used castrol edge 5w30 is this the right type of oil?
    2 after running e10 in the car a check engine light appeared can this make the car go into limp mode?
    3 could it possibly be an oxygen sensor or the e10 fuel?
    4 the car has been lowered so if any one wants to sell me standard height springs that would be awesome.
    5 can anyone suggest some cheap mods.
    6 are ebay parts for these vehicles usually okay? as holden is a rip off.
    7 the car is fitted with an after market pod filter arrangment worth having?

also the car is a MY6.5 145000KM

thanks in advance!
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1 i recently changed the oil and filter i used castrol edge 5w30 is this the right type of oil?

I use nylon 10w40 fully synthetic oil in my VXR, I have heard some bad stories about castrol but some good stories too

2 after running e10 in the car a check engine light appeared can this make the car go into limp mode?

E10 would definitely have set it off. I wouldn't use anything less than 98ron it'll take a couple of tanks to fluch it out but you'll return better fuel economy with the 98 and better power return too

4 the car has been lowered so if any one wants to sell me standard height springs that would be awesome.
    @mickos may have some VXR shocks and springs for sale.

When it comes to teaming belts, waterpumps, coikpacks etc, always buy genuine, look at autovaux.co.uk far cheaper than anything in aus landed to your door. Takes roughly a week and a half to arrive
    The aftermarket items are known to fail very early and in some cases with in hours of being used so while they are cheaper to begin with they rarely end up that way.

If your asking from a performance point of view, no if there isn't a heat shield to block the hot air from around the engine getting sucked through your system.
    If it's enclosed they are as good as your normal panel filter just make a cool fluttering noise.

Hope that helps

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Prowsey Click here to enlarge
    hi everyone new here, i have some questions about my partners astra.

we recently purchased a AH sri turbo to replace her TS CDX
    which was starting to have a few problems after 245000kms it was never really a good car constant issues and SLOW!
    so im hopping the AH is a much better car, any way my questions are:

also the car is a MY6.5 145000KM

thanks in advance!
    Well, you've done nearly a quarter of a million kilometres in your car. Can't really complain about that Click here to enlarge It's slow yes compared to an sri-t.

anyway,
    1 as Faneca said, I think it's 10w40.
    2 e10 fuel sucks. Go back to 95 or alternatively 98.
    3 put some 95 or 98 in and see if light goes out.
    5. If you're after more power, there are no cheap mods that really noticeably increase power. You can derestrict the airbox, put in a k&n filter or go the cdti airbox route if you want to stay under a few hundred dollars. Best bang for your buck will be a remap with either an eds ipf or similar.
    6. Depends what you're after. In some cases, you can better get some parts at Holden because shippingcosts from the UK or Germany can be a killer for 1 little bolt.
    7. Not in my opinion. Heatsoak & noise (unwanted attention at times). The original derestricted airbox is good enough.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    might change to the 10w 40 as the car seems to be running a little strange as in the motor sounds louder ( if that makes sense) i took the battery off for a bit and the check engine light went away but soon returned? i am currently running 9, also has anyone cut out the rear muffler is it easy enough to do?

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I've got the same car and had it for about 5 months and the engine light came on just after the wisemans cruise. Ended up being the sensors in the exhaust and I've only been using 98 but not knowing what has been used previously.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what did the sensors end up costing? and does anyone know what postage is like with auto vax?

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Postage is pretty good with autovaux, @chris_r recently bought a irmscher grill and postage was 30 odd GBP.

My VXR through up a light after filling up at a caltex one morning. Turns out it was just a scrappy batch of fuel as it was being filled not 2 hours later so that s a possibility.

I'd say if your running e10 that's is with out doubt the source of the light

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure the turbos need 95 minimum, otherwise you can start to do some more serious damage.

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fitted, codes cleared and set up was close to $600. But that would depend where you take it.

I didn't go to a holden dealer.

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andy76 Click here to enlarge
    Fitted, codes cleared and set up was close to $600. But that would depend where you take it.
    I didn't go to a holden dealer.
    Click here to enlarge for 2 sensors and some spannerwork ?
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Thread Information