Hi all, I'm Dchil, i'm in SEQ and i'm 17.

I'm currently waiting for my XC Barina to show up (end of the month) and to start doing some mods to it. I originally signed up to research a Z18XE swap from an Astra but due to lack of experience on my part it has been decided to either fix the current engine or swap in another Z14XEP.

Reason for the swap ideas? Blown head gasket. By the time i get it, unless it turns up on a truck sooner, it will have been driven with a BHG for a month by my grandfather. Going to buy it off him for $300 and the deal is for a Dark Grey (sorta gun-metal) 3 door with a 5 speed and mags. It will be my first car and the first time I do major work on a car (done oil changes and the like before).

Question though, Should i be worried about the cast iron block warping? As we speak it is being driven till the rego runs out or it dies, after which it will be given to me for cheap, and all that heat wouldn't be good for it. Also is swapping in another Z14XEP just a case of sourcing a motor and replacing the dead one with the new one? no other parts needed (except for a service)?

Thanks in advance.
Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!