Thread: Barina from SEQ

I'm new here, please be nice Dchil's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barina from SEQ

Hi all, I'm Dchil, i'm in SEQ and i'm 17.

I'm currently waiting for my XC Barina to show up (end of the month) and to start doing some mods to it. I originally signed up to research a Z18XE swap from an Astra but due to lack of experience on my part it has been decided to either fix the current engine or swap in another Z14XEP.

Reason for the swap ideas? Blown head gasket. By the time i get it, unless it turns up on a truck sooner, it will have been driven with a BHG for a month by my grandfather. Going to buy it off him for $300 and the deal is for a Dark Grey (sorta gun-metal) 3 door with a 5 speed and mags. It will be my first car and the first time I do major work on a car (done oil changes and the like before).

Question though, Should i be worried about the cast iron block warping? As we speak it is being driven till the rego runs out or it dies, after which it will be given to me for cheap, and all that heat wouldn't be good for it. Also is swapping in another Z14XEP just a case of sourcing a motor and replacing the dead one with the new one? no other parts needed (except for a service)?

Thanks in advance.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Welcome to OA
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! Plenty of very knowledgable people here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome,

Z18XE swap shouldn't be too hard. Most of it will all bolt in and you will probably need the wiring looms, ECU, BCM, dash cluster, key chips and transponder from a XC Barina SRi (Doesn't matter if your engine comes from a Barina or Astra in this case). May be a slightly bigger job than dropping in another Z14XEP, but hey, whatever works I guess. But given you're 17, I don't know how the laws work in Queensland, a vehicle fitted with a larger engine than it originally came with might not be legal for you to drive.

Whichever way you go, I recommend a full timing belt kit and water pump change on a Z18XE or in the case of the Z14XEP, replacement of the timing chains. Most wreckers will state you need to do this in order for them to honour any warranty they might give and it makes perfect sense.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    Hi and welcome,

Z18XE swap shouldn't be too hard. Most of it will all bolt in and you will probably need the wiring looms, ECU, BCM, dash cluster, key chips and transponder from a XC Barina SRi (Doesn't matter if your engine comes from a Barina or Astra in this case). May be a slightly bigger job than dropping in another Z14XEP, but hey, whatever works I guess. But given you're 17, I don't know how the laws work in Queensland, a vehicle fitted with a larger engine than it originally came with might not be legal for you to drive.

Whichever way you go, I recommend a full timing belt kit and water pump change on a Z18XE or in the case of the Z14XEP, replacement of the timing chains. Most wreckers will state you need to do this in order for them to honour any warranty they might give and it makes perfect sense.
    Well Dad has said no to a 1.8 swap, given that it will take that much work compared to dropping in a Z14 if needed. Also, we aren't sure if the engine needs a swap, i was just researching for future reference in case it does. As for legality, AFAIK in QLD (spent alot of time looking this stuff up when I thought I wanted to stick a skyline motor in a datto 1200) as long as it was a factory engine option (in this case, the Z18 was in the SRI) and the suspension and brake upgrades are done then you don't need a mod plate, just say to transport that you swapped in a replacement engine from another barina but it's a bit bigger.

Most likely thing to happen is I pull the head, get it machined, replace gasket, flush fluids and do all the stuff it might need for a RWC. Then rego and drive.
    Later on I do stuff like a leather interior swap, suspension and brake upgrades, ect. Or i just decide that i want something else and sell it. If a 1.8 is going there it's because the 1.4 is too f*cked and wrecked astras are closer/cheaper to get.

I am intending on doing a full service after i get it running, swap or no swap, as the current engine was in need of a service till the gasket blew.
    - Dchil

Car - nooope.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll be straight up and honest here, it's not really worth putting the Z18XE in when you can buy a proper SRi cheap these days and if your budget would stretch that far, buy one. The biggest hassle you'll have with going to a Z18XE from the Z14XEP is the wiring and the ECUs are totally different. The Z14XEP uses a Bosch ME 7.6.2 ECU, the Z18XE uses the notorious Siemens Simtec71. Neither ECU is pin compatible and requires a full engine loom swap. And to make things easier, those looms and the ECU has to come from the Barina SRi, as Astra looms are totally different again. Yes, use the Astra engine if you get it cheap enough (My Z18 is from an Astra, although it won't be in the car much longer), but the electronics will be of no use to your car.

If you just want it going, then you'll have to get another Z14XEP, provided the damage isn't too great to the engine you have now, but being driven in it's current state and it will be cooked by the time you get it. Proper Corsa/Barina leather interior can only be sourced from the UK or Europe (unless someone's done the importing for you). Although, I have Astra G leather front seats in mine at the moment (require a couple of simple mods and are better than the Corsa seats). Brake upgrade isn't too hard, I have written a how to for fitting the 308mm brake setup off an Astra (They need 16s to fit them), 280mm brakes can be had in the same way using the suitable Meriva carriers and will fit under 15s.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    I'll be straight up and honest here, it's not really worth putting the Z18XE in when you can buy a proper SRi cheap these days and if your budget would stretch that far, buy one. The biggest hassle you'll have with going to a Z18XE from the Z14XEP is the wiring and the ECUs are totally different. The Z14XEP uses a Bosch ME 7.6.2 ECU, the Z18XE uses the notorious Siemens Simtec71. Neither ECU is pin compatible and requires a full engine loom swap. And to make things easier, those looms and the ECU has to come from the Barina SRi, as Astra looms are totally different again. Yes, use the Astra engine if you get it cheap enough (My Z18 is from an Astra, although it won't be in the car much longer), but the electronics will be of no use to your car.

If you just want it going, then you'll have to get another Z14XEP, provided the damage isn't too great to the engine you have now, but being driven in it's current state and it will be cooked by the time you get it. Proper Corsa/Barina leather interior can only be sourced from the UK or Europe (unless someone's done the importing for you). Although, I have Astra G leather front seats in mine at the moment (require a couple of simple mods and are better than the Corsa seats). Brake upgrade isn't too hard, I have written a how to for fitting the 308mm brake setup off an Astra (They need 16s to fit them), 280mm brakes can be had in the same way using the suitable Meriva carriers and will fit under 15s.
    Good to know. If i have to get that much stuff for a 1.8 swap then, as you say, I may as well buy an SRI. Didn't know they didn't have Aus delivered Leather for the Barinas too. Don't know the size of the rims on it now (not stock, dealer fitted though) but I will look into stuff like that when I get it.
    - Dchil

Car - nooope.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate. Welcome to the forum, I'm in SEQ, Brisbane Baby!
    I'd go for a whole SRi from what ive seen/heard mate. I dreamt of putting am Astra turbo engine in my 1.8 5 door, however I just bought a whole Astra turbo instead. Super CBF doing an engine swap, but that's me, I'm pretty useless mechanically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the deal was called off to buy this particular Barina. My pop decided to re-rego the dying car and use it till it died.

The next call I get from him is likely to be along the lines of "Hey, Dchil, The car died. Do you still want it?"
    The answer to that question depends on my current car situation and bank account.
    - Dchil

Car - nooope.

Thread Information