Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Light wheels. Best thing I have ever done for my Clio was to replace the 10 kg each OEM 17" x 8 with Oz Racing Alleggerita 17" x 8.5. 3 kg per corner of unsprung weight gone! Steering feels even more agile now and the new rims look amazing, too.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had another thought on this one, depending on how much oil your car takes, prehaps a dry sump setup?? iirc it reduces the oil capacity of the engine, less fluid = less weight.

another thing which is very underestimated is cleaning out your car Click here to enlarge

shit you not i just shaved 10kgs of rubbish and unnessesary items :P
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    16.23 Second 1/4 Mile, No boost..... Yet
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually a dry sump would increase weight overall as capacity usually goes up. Mine has a 3 gallon tank plus the weight of the tank, lines and pump as well.

Still you could buy one of these. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah didnt know a dry sump added a reservoir elsewhere, thanks for clarifying Click here to enlarge

if you want to go to extremes i guess you could start drilling out holes of metal wherever you can, e.g. non vital support beams etc,

again though i imagine this would compromise the car severely in a crash.

-=UPDATE=-

Reading online one thing people do is fit a full rollcage, which technically adds more weight, but increases the structure of the car to the point where they can start to remove side impact beams, internal metal paneling, inner wheel arches etc.
    Aparrently drilling holes in the correct places has little impact on metal parts, i dont know about this one, as stated earlier im guessing thats an extreme measure.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...out-parts.html

^Interesting forum thread where the car owner goes all Swiss cheese on his car. cant seem to find total weight saving though, only up to page 8 as i have to get back to work Click here to enlarge

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/car-lightening.php

^Article for reading too if you want.

last on the list is diet Click here to enlarge its true though.

no use racing if your an unnessesarily larger person.
    Last edited by SilentShout; 16th September 2014 at 01:16 AM. Reason: additional info found.
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting points made here and gman's hood looks mean, great and of carbon fiber. just to add something that has not been discussed here is the windscreen washer tank, it takes about 3 litres, don't keep that full all the time, just enough to wash a couple of times, if you live in a dry area.
    I think the reduction of rotating non sprung weight seems most efficient; tyres, wheels and brake disks.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unsprung weight is the key, suspension works better, acceleration and braking is better. Iirc 3kg of Unsprung weight = 8kg of sprung weight by virtue of the performance increase it gives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sskustomz Click here to enlarge
    Unsprung weight is the key, suspension works better, acceleration and braking is better. Iirc 3kg of Unsprung weight = 8kg of sprung weight by virtue of the performance increase it gives

'
    We need to clarify unsprung non rotating and rotating parts, some estimates for rotating unsprung weight benefits such as the tyres, rims and brake disks is equivalent to 4 times dead weight, so 3 kg off wheels give same benefit as at least 12kg of dead weight.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only thing is i have never came across a lightweight set of rims that I like Click here to enlarge
    Holden Barina XC SRI

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compomotive, oz racing Both are nice

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Team Dynamics are very nice. OZ Ultraleggera's are beautiful rims. Enkei also do some nice ones. Compomotive are proper race spec rims. There is a company from Melbourne that does carbon fibre rims, mainly for Porsches, but they are currently the lightest rims you can get and only about $10K a set!!!!! Click here to enlarge
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Thread Information