Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Aircon system would be close to 14-15kg inc compressor, pipe work, extra radiator and fan etc

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could take out the power steering as well if that's not considered a drop in comfort

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Elliot_O Click here to enlarge
    Could take out the power steering as well if that's not considered a drop in comfort
    Power steering in Corsa C, Astra G-on models is electric driven and pretty much a part of the steering column, so I'd leave it there for the very small amount of weight you'd take out of the car.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ahh gotcha, thanks Chris.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    fill tyres with helium
    replace coolant with liquid hydrogen
    remove doors that don't get used.
    join jenny craig.
    cut 1 leg off.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or add a turbo =) then you can keep your leg.
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    16.23 Second 1/4 Mile, No boost..... Yet
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that must be the lightest astra around.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You win @dutchy! I weighed all the aircon bits after I pulled them out of the corsa, 23kg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    23kgs probably wont make much of a difference compared to the comfort it provides,

What about fiberglass panels?? anyone know if its legal?

my old s15 had a fiberglass bonnet (one of the few ADR approved ones in Australia)

but it also had fiberglass kit, and side wheel arches.

i Imagine it would shave a bit of weight, but now your sacrificing safety.
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    16.23 Second 1/4 Mile, No boost..... Yet
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bodypanels are part of safety, doubt you could replace them with fibreglass. heavy stuff that aircon system, i an surprised.
    Now guy 27, you are going into extremes, helium in tyres... why not just shave the tyres to its minimum tread. talking about tyres, the old nylon (not steel belted) tyres of the bygone era were much lighter than the modern ones.
    make the exhaust out of thin steel or even aluminium, that whole system is quite heavy.

Doing some research about the subject, the greatest effect on acceleration comes from reducing the weight of the wheels and brake disk rather than the non rotating weight of the body. The magic is that the tyres need energy to be accelerated to rotate as well as move forward. Porsche recons it is 1:7 but some general estimates are 1:4. That means that if you fit lighter tyres and rims and lose total of 20 kg, it has the same effect as losing 140kg according to the Porsche rule. that is quite serious effect and achievable. That's like removing one big bastard sitting in the back seat.
    Another is the tyre rolling resistance. I have 205 Michelin Pilots under my vectra and it is hard to get moving by pushing on flat surface. My astra has Kumho ecsta 225 wide is considerably easier to push, and the weight of the car is not that much different. All tyre alignments are good as the tyre wear is even. I am tempted to swap the wheels over to see what the difference is.
    All those boy racers whom fitted wider tyres than the specified actually made their cars slower!

Another rumor i was reading that GM US insisted putting thinner gearbox oil in its Cruze models to reduce losses and reduce fuel consumption. Europe did not because they knew that it will reduce the life of the gearbox. The rumour is that gearboxes in the US started to fail too early and some GM service places quietly replaced the thinner oil with thicker standard oil to risk manage the problem. The oil thickness was not that much different, 80 against 90W.

Thread Information