Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

making your car lighter, any ideas?

We all know a lighter car use less fuel, goes better and is often better handling. most 10 year old cars are very heavy, take Astra H for instance, the sri coupe weighs 1401kg according to specs. An earlier model Calibra weigh 1280kg. Manufacturers increased the safety by making the cars heavier and now the trend is to start sheading that weight, a new Mazda Mx5 weighs 100kg less than its predecessor.
    Have you any good ideas that are economically viable to make your car lighter, legally without compromising safety or comfort?
    I was looking at the brake components, they are all solid iron and weigh a lot, then comes wheels and tyres, they weigh 20kg each, seats, exhaust system, battery and so on.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Put only 5 litres of fuel in instead of 50.
    Loose weight yourself.
    Ditch passenger and rear seats.

But then again, I don't think it would make any sense on a road car to do all of that.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dutchy Click here to enlarge
    Put only 5 litres of fuel in instead of 50.
    Loose weight yourself.
    Ditch passenger and rear seats.

But then again, I don't think it would make any sense on a road car to do all of that.
    the fuel is a good point, I notice a small difference when the tank is almost empty compared to full. Also a factor is that old fuel becomes denser and gives more power per volume than fresh fuel, believe or not...
    I would like to look at replacing the original 20kg lead acid battery with something high tech and much lighter. there are some racing Li-ion batteries that weigh 6kg giving same crank power. Anyone have one? there goes 16 kg without any adverse effect.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Strip all the seats out, all plastic trim panels, sound deadening and carpets, titanium exhaust, lightweight racing wheels, strip excess wiring, remove a/c system, plexiglass windows, carbon fibre panels...

The list is endless mate. Depends how far you wanna go, generally the more extreme you go, the more uncomfortable and unroadworthy the car will become

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Titanium bolts, carbon fibre everything, li-ion battery, strip everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    buy a Calibra, it'll never run, thus saving fuel

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I managed to get my TS Astra SRi-T down to 890kgs racing weight.

We had to get rid of everything non-essential, ripped out the standard electrical harness for a new light weigh racing harness.

Carbon panels, lexan windows etc etc...how far do you want to go? Click here to enlarge
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vekara Click here to enlarge
    the fuel is a good point, I notice a small difference when the tank is almost empty compared to full. Also a factor is that old fuel becomes denser and gives more power per volume than fresh fuel, believe or not...
    I would like to look at replacing the original 20kg lead acid battery with something high tech and much lighter. there are some racing Li-ion batteries that weigh 6kg giving same crank power. Anyone have one? there goes 16 kg without any adverse effect.
    If it's a daily, I wouldn't recommend one of those lighter batteries, they're not meant for continued use really, or any auxiliary components

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took everything out of the booth including a blanket i use to protect the booth lining. The spare, tools and the booth floor panel weighs 28 kg, pretty good saving, although I believe it is illegal to remove the original spare from the booth and drive on public roads.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not if you put a can of the tyre goo like most new cars have now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information