Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EGR valve questions

Greetings all,

Unsure if this has been discussed recently (or at all)

I thing the issues i have with the engine are in relation to the EGR valve as after diagnosis and error codes dont show anything with the O2 sensors, but it will randomly throw an EGR code (EGR too high) and then the code dissappears as quicky as it comes up so its hard to catch.

This could be the cause for the chugging, random idle pulsing and the very lean condition of the engine.

I could go out and buy a new one possibly fixing the issue, but the idea of unmetered air re-entering the engine doesnt sit right with me.

I have seen online a place that sells a plate that bolts between the EGR valve and the head which blocks out the egr completly, however the egr remains plugged in so the ecu things its doing its job etc etc.

Has anyone essentially "deleted" the EGR valve in their car? and if so what experiances have you had?

Searching online shows only positive reviews such as smooth operation and such, with the occasional (my car threw an error code) claim.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    16.23 Second 1/4 Mile, No boost..... Yet
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have blocked the EGR valve in my vectra with a plate and never have any problems. you can easily make that plate yourself, I made it from a thin sheet of steel (beer can). you cannot remove the valve or the sensor for registration and ECU reason, unless you delete the part of software but why would you do such complex task when just a plate does it.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So aluminium works fine?? Might just use a pepsi can or something =P

Did you notice any difference? Obviously I doubt there was any significant power gains, im thinking about smoother operation, not such a lean burn etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    makes very small difference to the engine, EGR is only operating when the engine is at high or full throttle when the combustion temperature is high and NO2 is produced. it does not work in low power or idling.
    EGR is part of emission control system so the primary reason for existence is to reduce pollution, there are different descriptions on the internet some claiming that it reduces fuel consumption and reduce damage to the engine. sounds like rubbish to me.
    Of course the gases that come from the exhaust is now replaced with fresh air so theoretically there is a difference in power but you won't feel that when driving. another useful thing blocking it is that it keeps the engine cleaner, exhaust gases are no longer fed into the engine. You should also install filters to the crank case ventilation to stop that oil vapour getting into the manifiold, valves and spark plugs, that does make a difference.
    Aluminium as melts at 500 degrees C, I use steel.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet I thought tinnies were made of aluminium thats all.

And I think the problem with my egr is it gets stuck open so the engine with randomly missfire and chug and carry on. Checked the spark plugs and all but cylinder 3 looked like normal wear slightly on the lean side (normal for factory engines to run slightly lean for fuel consumption. Cylinder three though was very very lean.

I have since changed them and while most of the pinging stopped, the missfire and chugging are still there

Holden Barina XC SRI

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Or you could go the wreckers and pinch the EGR blanking plate of an Astra G Z18XE engine. For some reason they deleted the EGR off the Astra, yet still kept it on the Corsa C.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SilentShout Click here to enlarge
    Sweet I thought tinnies were made of aluminium thats all.

And I think the problem with my egr is it gets stuck open so the engine with randomly missfire and chug and carry on. Checked the spark plugs and all but cylinder 3 looked like normal wear slightly on the lean side (normal for factory engines to run slightly lean for fuel consumption. Cylinder three though was very very lean.

I have since changed them and while most of the pinging stopped, the missfire and chugging are still there

Dirty injectors? use better fuel, at least 95RON. I do not touch any of the ethanol mixes.
    Most cans are aluminium but the enrgy drink cans are often steel, you will see the difference.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah kk. And no only ever use 98RON. Caltex to be specific. They own the refinery in australia so when the caltex, shell and bp trucks come to fill up its all the same. Only difference is bp and shell pour their own crap into the tank to mix as it drives. Caltex truck just drives off. Vortex premium is pure unadulterated 98 octaine goodness =)

Holden Barina XC SRI

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SilentShout Click here to enlarge
    Ah kk. And no only ever use 98RON. Caltex to be specific. They own the refinery in australia so when the caltex, shell and bp trucks come to fill up its all the same. Only difference is bp and shell pour their own crap into the tank to mix as it drives. Caltex truck just drives off. Vortex premium is pure unadulterated 98 octaine goodness =)

Interesting, many motorists only use BP Ultimate if it is available and Shell V power is the second choice. the additives they put in are good and keep the engine clean, some people report 15% reduction in fuel consumption using BP, I have noticed it too but not that much. I have found that Shell quality varies, never know what you get so BP Ultimate for me is first choice.
    You are correct about the refineries, most come from the same pipes but it is the "secret spices" they add that makes the difference.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    myself and a few others have found that vpower is quite sooty, my old s15 loved the stuff, i didnt as cleaning the black off the back bumper on a white car was a weekly chore Click here to enlarge

i probably would use bp ultimate if there was a station closer but as there is a caltex up the road its my prefference.
    Holden Barina XC SRI

Thread Information