OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tinting tail lights (what to use + legality)

Hey guys, I'm getting pretty sick of my aftermarket tail lights. Second winter I've had condensation issues and they're not fitting with my OEM vibe.

Realised I still have my stock ones in the shed and thought I'd give tinting them a go.

What's best used for it? I've heard about a Nightshade spray thing? Has anyone had results (good or bad) with it?

Also, what's the legality in Vic? Don't really want to be cruising around with illegal stuff on my car...

Cheers

M
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't use nightshade, use either vinyl or a clear coat with tint included. It's not legal in Vic as far as I know, just make sure you're not trying to make them pitch black and you can still easily see lights and brakes and you'll be fine

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vinyl electrostatic film would be easiest but if you do use Nightshade then make sure you only apply it in very light coats or it'll look terrible and goes from a little dark to very dark very quickly. And yes it's illegal, just don't black them out and should be ok though.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    +1 to the vinyl.

I did a set of my foglights with the vinyl. very easy to apply and is very quickly removable.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That pretty much settles it if its illegal though.

Cheers guys, good to know either way.

M

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nightshades can look ok if done properly just dont go full gloss black like I did once on my old vectra, managed 2/3 days before I got defected and its a pain to remove with thinners etc. Vinyl can be removed a lot easier if needed. Also have a look on ebay for bug eye mesh. A lot of uk guys use this, its almost like a very thin flyscreen mesh but gives a tinted look without being too dark
    Last edited by adam_92; 5th May 2014 at 08:07 AM.
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check my thread if you're looking for some NightShade pics, I'm pretty happy with mine, probably did them 18 months ago, never been pulled over. They're starting to just fade back to normal so I was just going to give them another coat or twoClick here to enlarge
    I'm in QLD, from what I've heard, as long as they are visible from 200m away and the reflector is still able to work, then it should.... Be fine

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Thread Information