Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Work in/ Knows someone who works in the Broadband industry???

Greetings

I have a question for anyone who knows something about setting up internet connections.

Me and the missus recently moved one suburb over at the start of the year into a brand new apartment building. In the 3 months since we have been trying to get internet with no success. every provider we have gone through ( and we have gone through every single one of them) all say the same thing.

At first they are all like "yes you can have this plan blah blah blah and yes your apartment is ready for this connection all we need to do is send out a tech to connect it all" Then we wait the 2-4 weeks for the tech to come out and we get an email/letter stating that "We apologise for the inconveniance but your apartment is not servicable by *insert establishment here*"

The only people who have come close is telstra who at first told us we were able to get a cable connection, then aparrently were the only block on the street who can only get adsl2+ connected,

then aparrently with mobile phone plans, previous internet connections, loans etc etc (all through seperate companies) me and my partner will have to get a phone line connected for 6months before they will even let us have an internet connection because quote "my credit history is bad (this i know) and my partner doesnt have a credit history (hardly believable due to having phone plans, internet plans, credit cards etc etc)"

The story keeps changing from each provider as we have called each one multiple times to confirm we keep getting different answers.

about the only consistant thing is were always talking to an indian no matter the provider we speak to.

in the apartment there is no rj6 ports (phone line ports) however there is a small cluster of ports housing an ethernet port (rj45), 2 coaxial cables (1x male, 1x female) and 2x tv antenna ports also male and female respectively.

Were about ready to give up and regretably we signed a 2 year lease on the place. Mobile broadband plans dont look like they will suit our needs as we both game quite heavily so 200gb of data per month would be the bare minimum we could scrape by with.

Any help is greatly appreciated, we would just like to make sence of it all Click here to enlarge

if anyone could shed some light on the situation I would happily grant you +1 internets, if i had internets Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SilentShout Click here to enlarge
    I have a question for anyone who knows something about setting up internet connections.

.... brand new apartment building.... "We apologise for the inconveniance but your apartment is not servicable by *insert establishment here*"
    There are two options here.

One: Telstra wired your apartment to an ancient RIM cabinet, and you can only get a phone line (no internet). You can prove this by getting the cheapest Telstra phone line connected - this will be no problem (although most alternative phone companies, e.g. Optus, will turn you down flat once they discover the RIM cabinet). Trying to get any non-phone-line internet will instantly fail, but getting the line and then trying to order internet afterwards (from anyone) has a chance of working - a request will go in to Telstra to move you around in the cabinet to see if they can find a port which can provide internet. I got stuck in this hell for 7 months - until one day someone cancelled their service, and I got to steal their port. There is no queue - you just have to keep applying and one day you get lucky. You'll then be stuck with probably ADSL1 speeds, and in the "off net" pricing section of each ISP, but at least you have internet.

Two: The apartment block as a whole has one connection, and then resells that connection to each apartment. This isn't unknown for recent new developments. Developers aren't required to go with NBN (for large new estates) or Telstra (for small new developments) - these are only connections "of last resort". Developers may contract any company they wish to connect a service. Talk to body corporate and/or other residents in the same block, and see if they can shed any light on it. If this is what has happened, you should be able to get decent, fast service - but expect to be paying serious money for it.

in the apartment there is no rj6 ports (phone line ports) however there is a small cluster of ports housing an ethernet port (rj45), 2 coaxial cables (1x male, 1x female) and 2x tv antenna ports also male and female respectively.
    If it's case one, you'll find that RJ45 is wired up as an RJ11 using the middle pins only, and is actually a standard phone line. In case two, it's probably Ethernet, but won't be active until contracted.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I dont have any advice because Bloodnok pretty much nailed it on the head, but I do have a slightly off topic question.... Arent phone ports RJ12, not RJ6 ?

Just curious!
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hazrd Click here to enlarge
    I dont have any advice because Bloodnok pretty much nailed it on the head, but I do have a slightly off topic question.... Arent phone ports RJ12, not RJ6 ?

Just curious!
    yeah no your right, it is RJ 12. dont know where i got the 6 from :S

and thank you @Bloodnok Click here to enlarge the info was really detailed

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hazrd Click here to enlarge
    I do have a slightly off topic question.... Arent phone ports RJ12, not RJ6 ?

Just curious!
    RJ codes don't mean what everyone thinks they do. It doesn't refer to the physical shape of the socket - a "phone socket" has more RJ codes than you can shake a stick at, and which one it is depends on how it is wired up.

RJ11 is correct for a basic two pin analogue phone. RJ12 refers to a fully wired (all six pins) version for a specific purpose (an old line-sharing system intended for small companies which I've never encountered - it may be US specific). I've no idea what RJ6 is. It could well be another use for exactly the same socket - that's a really popular socket which is used by many different codes.

It's worth noting that there isn't technically anything registered for "RJ45" as used for Ethernet. Plenty of RJ codes for the same socket for other uses, including an "RJ45S", but that specifies resistors in the sockets! Ethernet should really be called either T568A or T568B, but no-one has ever heard of these unless they are a cable installer Click here to enlarge

Thread Information