I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MY2004 XC Combo Mini Van with Z16SE. Oh the Joy!

Hi everyone. I'm glad I've found this forum.
    Back in Dec 2013 I bought a 2004 Combo. When it runs it's great. Although if I'd known the Z16SE engine is a rare beast I'd have probably steered away from it.
    However, The engine overheat, and to cut a long story short, the mechanic told me that the engine was only good for a boat anchor. Not worth servicing the head.
    Found a complete engine (Z16SE) with gearbox and driveshafts for $500. Absolute bargain. Answer to prayer!
    So now it runs Ok.
    I have a couple prob's 1: is the cooling system, 2: Engine management computer.
    I've grown attached to the machine (perhaps unfortunate) and come here looking for answers for the prob's.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What sre the actual problems? Saying cooling system dpesnt really help. I have a z16se in my 2001 astra van that I have stripped and rebuilt with new gaskets all through it.
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome along mate, hopefully we can. Help ya out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Needs a new water pump which I'm organising to install next week. Will also replace the thermostat and gasket as well.

I have 2 main problems
    1) the cooling system. The temp isn't stable, on the highway it is low and fine. However, in traffic it will climb up to half way. Coolant sprays out from coolant tank cap. Have been watching it. As temp climbs, coolant comes into tank via radiator overflow tube pressurises the tank and coolant sprays from coolant tank. Fan does work and cuts in. when it cut's in the coolant temp drops and stops spraying from the coolant tank. Figured I have poor circulation and that's why I'm replacing the pump.

2) Engine Computer
    My emissions light (looks like a engine on left hand side of console display, near tacho) is constantly on. have been to see a couple of auto electrical guys who tell me that it appears to be a problem with the computer itself. The codes I get are as follows;
    P1482 (Fan Relay 2 circuit malfunction) This code will not clear and is still present. I had other codes (P1481, P1481, P0400, P0130) but these appear to have cleared.
    So what do you guys reckon?

Appreciate any help. Not a mechanic but I'm handy. Happy to give an suggestion a go myself.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to OA

As for the codes the two that come up are:

P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow
    P0130 O2 Sensor Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

The other two (P1481 *which is mentioned twice* & P1482) dont actually exist to my knowledge.

The numbers could corrispond to B1481 and B1482 where the B denotes something other than the engine bay (cant remember exactly but i think it might be P = engine, B = internal, C = electrical system)

the codes im referring to are:

B1481 Battery rundown protection circuit range/performance
    B1482 Battery rundown protection circuit low

might be something to do with the car battery or the backup battery inside the ECU.

Hoping this information helps, Alternatively there is another solution...

Give that XC a 1.8!!

XC's love 1.8's Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks silentshout.

I'd like to (give it a 1.8) but don't have the funds. In the meantime how do deal with the codes?

I also have another ECU (from a Z16SE). Can I just replace it instead of the existing or is there something more to it?

The oil pressure light is also coming on intermittently. What could this mean? How can I check actual oil pressure to make sure it's OK instead of using the existing sensor. I guess the problem could be the sensor or the oil pump???

Not a mechanic by any stretch so please excuse the 'dumb' sounding questions.

Any constructive help is greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iirc the ecu's are specifically coded to the keys/immoberliser in the car. if you put a different ecu in, even if its from the same model of car, it wont work. Never tried it though, its just what Ive read on the interwebs.

As for the oil pressure light, you may be reffering to the oil light. Check the engine dipstick and make sure theres enough oil in the car for starters. also ensure the car isnt over filled with oil as this can be damaging too.

To reset the ecu you can unhook the negative battery terminal and for good measure take out the ecu fuses. leave it for about 30mins (if you turn your headlights on it will ensure the electrical charge is fully drained) then put the fuses back in and hook the battery up. THis should clear any codes and then anything that comes up again will show you definitcly whats wrong with the car. Im not sure how to diagnose a faulty ecu though sorry.

Hope this helps,

If you need anymore help give me a bell Click here to enlarge
    Holden Barina XC SRI
    16.23 Second 1/4 Mile, No boost..... Yet
    "-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." ~Moog

Thread Information