Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was bound to happen when Opel decided to pull out...

Unfortunate as mentioned above for anyone who payed full price before Opels departure - poor buggers...

On the flip side it's an opportunity for anyone interested in any of the remaining vehicles still available, or any near new ones selling...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ScottSri Click here to enlarge
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/apple...opc/1039500388

This just shows the value of the opel cars at the moment I seen one for 32k but now its almost half the cars purchase price from new.
    Was that you I saw on Ocean Reef Road yesterday afternoon heading west ?
    Along with the silver Astra GTC with dealer plates you overtook ?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    This was bound to happen when Opel decided to pull out...

Unfortunate as mentioned above for anyone who payed full price before Opels departure - poor buggers...

On the flip side it's an opportunity for anyone interested in any of the remaining vehicles still available, or any near new ones selling...
    Do not think this is unique to Opel.
    I have seen 12 month old Audi S3`s for sale extremely cheap.
    Audi introduced the new model $12,000 cheaper than the one it replaced.

As for problems with cars, nearly everyone I know that has issues never look after them.
    They do not check fluids, tyre pressures, service intervals or even wash the cars and thrash them immediately upon start-up.
    Reap what you sow !

I have had four Astra`s and my girlfriend has had one. All have been reliable and all have been regularly serviced.

That actually goes for the other brands of cars I own also.
    I currently have a mid 70`s V8 being rebuilt, this car has been in the family for 37 years and still has the original bottom end.
    The mechanic said he can tell the car has had regular oil changes as everything is really clean inside and the bearings,etc are in good condition. Same goes for the auto transmission.

If you intend on keeping your Opels for a while do not get fixated on the depreciation, just enjoy them !

I'm new here, please be nice Bairdy1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still happy with mine, Sh*ts all over VW in finish and performance.
    I lost $35k on my Honda Legend in 5 years.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bairdy1 Click here to enlarge
    Still happy with mine, Sh*ts all over VW in finish and performance.
    I lost $35k on my Honda Legend in 5 years.
    My boss lost $70k in three years on his Audi S5 Coupe`.....................and then went and bought an Audi A4 ! Go figure.
    All relative to income I guess though. Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kabel Click here to enlarge
    Do not think this is unique to Opel.
    I have seen 12 month old Audi S3`s for sale extremely cheap.
    Audi introduced the new model $12,000 cheaper than the one it replaced.

As for problems with cars, nearly everyone I know that has issues never look after them.
    They do not check fluids, tyre pressures, service intervals or even wash the cars and thrash them immediately upon start-up.
    Reap what you sow !

I have had four Astra`s and my girlfriend has had one. All have been reliable and all have been regularly serviced.

That actually goes for the other brands of cars I own also.
    I currently have a mid 70`s V8 being rebuilt, this car has been in the family for 37 years and still has the original bottom end.
    The mechanic said he can tell the car has had regular oil changes as everything is really clean inside and the bearings,etc are in good condition. Same goes for the auto transmission.

If you intend on keeping your Opels for a while do not get fixated on the depreciation, just enjoy them !
    I paid $33k for my POS van, I'm probably lucky if I'll get $6k for trade in, not to mention in the four years I've owned it since new, it's probably cost me close to $20k in repairs alone. Oh well, write it all off in tax I guess.

As for servicing and maintaining cars, what you said here cannot be drilled into some people's minds enough. I admit, I used to be pretty relaxed in regards to servicing the Hyundai until the big ends went at 68k. Since that, I've been religiously servicing it at every 10k (book says 7.5 or 15k, but I drive metro all day, so I probably do the 10k in about about 2.5 to 3 months) and I was unfortunate enough to suffer a broken oil pump chain 110k later. But at least I'm sure in my mind now that since the first rebuild, I have done everything better than what's in the book and looked after it as best I can and the last failure was down to the fact that there truly are defects in the iLoads that I'm sure Hyundai aren't aware of (or are just not saying anything about them).

But in regards to depreciating Opels, it would probably annoy me spending the money on the car and watch the value drop quickly at first, but having said that, if I were driving an OPC, I'm sure the smile on my face would be worth every cent and I'd be happy to keep the car long enough that depreciation means nothing in the end. And if you want the car enough, you probably forget about the money when you're out on the road in it and having fun. What good is money when you can't take it to the grave and the government is likely to tax it out of you anyway?
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right, some cars depreciate badly. Ordered my Mondeo in Dec 09, paid $48k on road. Wasn't delivered till April 10 and just one month later they announced they were ceasing production and started selling for $41k new. 12 months later, $36k new. Car is 4 years old, have just sold it for $18k.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    All in all Pete, you didn't lose that much on the mondy when you think about it. That was pretty good!

I had a '00 plate VX Berlina (S/C model) that was 40k new, paid 20k in '04 for it, and sold it for 6 in '08. 34k in 8 years isn't too bad in the scheme of things, even for a dunnydore!

As mentioned, as long as the opc makes you happy, that's all that matters Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by hazrd; 1st March 2014 at 10:36 AM.
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually looking at a new Astra OPC....but it's still advertised at $40K, new.

Better still is the GTC 1.6 with all the fruit, including the adaptive headlights, 20s, satnav etc, for $32K driveaway.

The salesman, bless him, wasn't actually aware of the difference between the OPC and the GTC. He said it was a body kit and larger wheels. Didn't know there was a different engine under the bonnet.

Pity the resale on the GTC would be under $20K five minutes after signing on the dotted line.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kabel Click here to enlarge
    Was that you I saw on Ocean Reef Road yesterday afternoon heading west ?
    Along with the silver Astra GTC with dealer plates you overtook ?
    Haha I seen the GTC and I was like aw I go a fly by then seen you pull out aswell so I thought il give it full beans. My car was Nice an clean :/
    Arden Blue 2013 Astra PJ GTC OPC
    -Mods- regal EDS-IPF stage 2 227.4HP ATW @hyperdrive dyno,Full RSS exhaust system, Forge motorsport intercooler, RSS sports springs, Whiteline RARB, Power flex Bushes, Pagid 29-5 front brake Pads, Hose technik steel braided brake lines, Brembo LCF 600 with more to come Click here to enlarge

Thread Information