Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I'm new here, please be nice wolfeey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how often do you floor your car?

So I have a 1.8 astra and when I drive I try to keep the rpm below 3k .. Anyway an idiot driver threw a coke bottle at me after cutting me off in a roundabout and I floored my car coz I was annoyed .. What I want to know is how you guys drive your cars ? What revs you guys drive at? How often you floor it? And any damage I will do by doing this every now and again?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I always floor it, but sticking to the speed limit obviously.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not one for flooring it, but I enjoy taking off pretty fast from the lights now and then. Mostly because my exhaust makes the cool little BLURP sound when changing gears if you're giving it a bit of stick.

I don't like doing it often though as: a) I hate being associated with hoons and b) I feel like it'll wear the engine down.

Don't think occasionally giving it the boot will do any damage though.

Cheers

M

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do on a semi-regular basis if the situation affords it safely and under the speed limit. So if I'm sitting first in line at a set of lights on a 70-80km/h road I'll usually floor it upto the speed limit. If there are no slow cars that turned in ahead of me. Generally though I drive quite placidly around other cars and just shift when it feels natural for the situation (earlier if the person ahead is pulling off slowly and maybe as late as 4k rpm if they pull off reasonably quickly and create a gap)

As far as damage, I'm sure it will wear things out more rapidly if you regularly drive with your foot planted as the engine will be running at higher RPMs more often. But I think a lot also comes down to maintenance. Driving a car harder than intended and still only changing oil ever 10,000km+ and being late on your services will cause problems. But if you use good oil and parts and do maintenance more regularly you can do a lot for the life of your car. I do honestly think owning a car is a bit like friendships/relationships the more time and care you put into it the better you get treated in response.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More often than not I drive the car under 3k rpm. I do watch my mpg. I occasionally floor it after 2k (to minimise wheelspin) and rev to about 5k when permitted (from lights) for 1st and 2nd gears within the speed limit. Sometimes even to redline. If you maintain your car properly it would actually be beneficial to regularly rev your car above 3.5k especially if its been sitting in city traffic prior. This will blow out some build up from idling too much. Think of your car as a body that needs regular exercise (revs), rest and a proper diet (maintanance). Click here to enlarge
    2013 Astra Sports Tourer. 1.6T. Auto. Phantom Grey. GlossBlack Vinyl Roof, Dark Streetlegal tints, OEM 19 wheels, LED: DRLs; H7 low beams; foglights; plate lights; interior lights, Shark fin FM aerial, Smoked side repeaters + chrome bulbs, OEM glovebox shelf, OEM sunglass holder, OEM Astra Mats, EDS phase 1 tune, Pipercross Panel Filter, Aluminium sport pedals, DBA T2 brake rotors, turbosmart BOV
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...-Sports-Tourer

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Raisin Click here to enlarge
    I do on a semi-regular basis if the situation affords it safely and under the speed limit. So if I'm sitting first in line at a set of lights on a 70-80km/h road I'll usually floor it upto the speed limit. If there are no slow cars that turned in ahead of me. Generally though I drive quite placidly around other cars...
    This is an excellent quote. Having a good go in your car doesn't meant it has to be unsafe for all or illegal and not enough people (not OpelAus) understand that.

Cheers

M

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Every chance I get. I usually scare myself once I get to 50kmh and have to pull over until the adrenalin wears off
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd say regularly, particularly if I'm at the front of the lights, but it's usually because I don't want anyone near my car so I floor it to 60. I never go more than 10km over because I value my license and know what happens when people drive too fast.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by guy 27 Click here to enlarge
    Every chance I get. I usually scare myself once I get to 50kmh and have to pull over until the adrenalin wears off
    Thats first gear yeh?

Every chance I get. Keeps the spider webs out of the car.
    "treading on the throttle pedal gives you some idea of what it might be like to blow yourself up"
    hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: fear of long words...
    2003 Astra G Sri-T (very blaack)

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    4th gear at those speeds.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Thread Information