Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mine isnt a gsi engine. Yes its a 1.6 but its a z16se not a c16/x16 like the gsi engines.
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NoX-Troniq Click here to enlarge
    In that case, if you think about it, if I end up putting a 1.6 in it, it would essentially be a GSi wouldn't it?
    Not sure about car frames and stuff but isn't the car the same with the exception of the sporty parts. I can't imagine it'd be too hard to actually get it legally registered if if just got sports model parts and engine because they seem like virtually the same car.

So optionally a GSi engine would be best, and considering you have one ready to go @adam_92 that's close by, it seems like it would be easiest.

Yes, it really is something I want to do, I'ts honestly way to sluggish for my liking. Buy a whole new GSi seems ok too, but the problem with that is I can't take trust anything that's in it, unlike adam's which he said it works, I'd like to clean up the one adam has as much as possible before putting it in too, so new gaskets and such...

What say you, guys?
    Once you do an engine transplant even if it's the same engine type as originally fitted to the car you need to submit the different engine number to the RTA for approval and for all associated documentation record changes, otherwise you'll never be able to get a RWC for it if your ever thinking of selling the car and as mentioned if your involved in an accident the car will be deemed illegal...

If you transplant a different engine that belongs to the cars model range but was not the specific type fitted to that particular model variant that's where it starts to get tricky and usually will require a pit visit to the RTA for approval, if it's done right however this may be the option for you since as you say you have an engine in wait...

And as mentioned earlier if you get a different engine altogehter from another car model installed it'll have to be engineer approved and then submitted to the RTA pit for inspection and approval...

It's all possible if you really wanting to go that way Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In regards to the requirements as per DPTI SA, have a read here: http://sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2...+modifications

All vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1986 must comply with ADR 37, including:

This category of vehicle may only be fitted with an ADR 37 or later -complying engine - ie an engine designed to operate only on unleaded fuel), which incorporates all associated emission control components.
    Fitting an engine other than an original or optional engine requires approval from the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure.
    No alterations to the engine's camshaft, inlet manifold, carburettor/fuel injectors, engine control unit or the catalytic converter are permitted.
    Airflow meters must not be disconnected.
    Modified or aftermarket plenum chambers or throttle bodies are not permitted.
    Extra or larger fuel injectors or variable fuel pressure regulators are not permitted.

If the vehicle was originally fitted with a catalytic converter by the manufacturer, the vehicle must continue to operate with one.
    Taking notice of the sections highlighted in bold, this would mean to fit a Z18XE and get it past Vehicle Standards, I assume we'd need to use a Z18XE ECU and loom. Aftermarket fuel pressure regulators aren't allowed either, which means the fact the Z18XE has a single return line, we'd need to use an Astra Z18XE fuel pump (which I believe is a drop in job), as it has the FPR built into it. This also means using the drive by wire throttle, which isn't as hard as what people say. To be completely sure of the requirements, there's a form here: http://sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/Tr...cle%202013.pdf
    Fill this out and lodge it and they will give you the statement of requirements for the conversion, which tells you what they want done in order to make it roadworthy with the new engine.

Otherwise, just fit the Z18 with all the GSi electrics and just drive it around. As long as it looks stock, it's unlikely that the cops are going to look at it close enough to figure out what engine it is. I did this and I know someone else who does the same. Sure, there's a risk, but that's up to you if you want to take it, but as @Wraith said, you need to be aware of any possible complications and repercussions should something go wrong.

However, if you still want to persist down the fully legal route, we would need to find a loom and ECU from a UK-spec Vectra B with a Z18XE. This is because the Vectra B wiring is closer to that of the Corsa B (meaning we still use the Corsa B dash) and the accelerator pedal position sensor is easier to sort out for the swap. Astra loom and APP gets a bit trickier. Z18XE Vectra B loom is like 9 wires to solder to the ECU plug, plus another 6 for the APP. Other thing to consider with this is that the coolant bottle needs to be relocated, in which case we can make one fit from an Astra or Vectra, but that's only a minor issue.

As for going Adam's 1.6, the Z16SE is pretty much the Euro 4 compliant version of the C16SE 1.6 8v SOHC engine with a drive by wire throttle. GSi engines are 16v twin cams.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally after all this, I reckon possibly a C16 might be the way to go, I'd like the twin cam engine and because it's just an upgrade to the sports version of my car.
    Plus I'd like @corsaford's intake shoved onto it too.

Anyone know of a C16 floating around anywhere? :P
    2000 Corsa B 1.4i
    GSi Body Kit | GSi Throttle body | GSi Sway bar | ProSport Coilovers | Morette Headlights | 2" Cannon exhaust w/ burn tip | Genuine OMP strut brace | Sports spoiler | Calibra calipers and Machined/Slotted RDA discs | 15" 'Cav Slab' Alloys
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @c000kie might still have one??
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NoX-Troniq Click here to enlarge
    Personally after all this, I reckon possibly a C16 might be the way to go, I'd like the twin cam engine and because it's just an upgrade to the sports version of my car.
    Plus I'd like @corsaford's intake shoved onto it too.

Anyone know of a C16 floating around anywhere? :P
    Good luck. Most C16/X16s end up in the wrecking yard as results of poor servicing and broken timing belts, rather than as a result of piss poor driving efforts. For what you'd need to do here, it'd be easier (and probably cheaper) to just buy a GSi to get a C16XE. As for the powerbox intake, no doubt they are a good mod for the 1.6, but it's at a loss of some bottom end torque to get the most out of the top end. I had one on my old GSi and it had a big flat spot around 2-2.5k. I found when I swapped to the Z18XE, I had plenty of torque down low and it was even better in through the rev range through to the top. The factory design of the intake on the 1.8 isn't as bad as what some people think for NA applications.

Whether you drop a C16 or Z18 in your current car, you may need to go through the same processes to get it all through Regency to make it legal (Remember, GSi has differences in regards to suspension and braking systems, which even though you have GSi suspension fitted, brakes will probably need upgrading and they'd probably want an engineer's certificate for that too). And if you saw the pics of my Z18XE GSi, you'd almost be mistaken for thinking the engine came with the car. All I did for the intake was just make a cold air feed to the airbox (which is from a GSi too, keeping it all factory).

If you think you can get away with driving it around with a 1.6 in your current car and not putting it through Regency, there's no reason you can't do the same with a 1.8, running off GSi hardware. Just don't drive like a d1ck, don't be a smart arse to the cops and for the most part, they'll leave you alone. In this state, they'll really only go over your car if you give them reason to. As for insurance, whichever way you go, you will probably have the same problems anyway. And from what I've experienced, the 1.8 is the better engine all round, the 1.6 is good, but just doesn't match the 1.8 in overall driveability.

I may be sounding like that I know everything there is to know about the Corsa B and swapping engines, but the truth is before I did mine, I researched this for hours on end and at the time I was tossing up whether to rebuild my C16 and maybe turbo it or go for an engine swap. I was even considering selling it at the time. Adam, and another user on this forum had originally put me on to the Z18XE swap and I figured for what the cost of the swap was and the gains to be had, were going to be better bang for buck than pretty much anything else you could put in it. The fact the Z18 is a Family 1 engine too, made it a no-brainer as the C20XE swap wasn't even really considered for the extra weight it would bring. Yes, I did mine to a GSi, meaning I had everything there to do it, but from my experience working with other Corsa Bs, it probably sounds harder to swap stuff around to make it all work than it really is.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let

I'm new here, please be nice c000kie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a c16xe in pices that needs a rebuild or i have a gsi barina ith a z18xe in it for sale

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c000kie Click here to enlarge
    i have a c16xe in pices that needs a rebuild or i have a gsi barina ith a z18xe in it for sale
    Are you interstate, cookie?

*EDIT: Sh1t, wrong tab. sorry guys!*
    2000 Corsa B 1.4i
    GSi Body Kit | GSi Throttle body | GSi Sway bar | ProSport Coilovers | Morette Headlights | 2" Cannon exhaust w/ burn tip | Genuine OMP strut brace | Sports spoiler | Calibra calipers and Machined/Slotted RDA discs | 15" 'Cav Slab' Alloys
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cookie is matthew cooke, with the black z18 gsi its for sale for under 1k

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by adam_92 Click here to enlarge
    Cookie is matthew cooke, with the black z18 gsi its for sale for under 1k

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    I thought he'd have sold that by now.

Thread Information