Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SIMid Click here to enlarge
    Could pick up a fully loaded Astra OPC for $15K ............. hmmmm
    O Rly ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cbrmale Click here to enlarge
    I test drove an Opel Astra Sport as a possible replacement for my Astra AH 2.2 SRi and was unimpressed to say the least. It literally is a Holden Cruze with leather seats and it didn't have my Astra's lovely, fluid steering, nor did the 1.6 turbo impress me much. Indeed the steering was light, vague and wander-y. Of course the Astra IS a Daewoo / Holden Cruze with a different body and interior, so it was always going to be average.

In the end I bought a Hyundai Veloster SR which is also a 1.6 turbo, but the same size as my AH and much lighter than a new Astra, while the Hyundai engine runs a high-pressure turbo with intercooler and turns roughly the same acceleration as an OPC. Also the Hyundai's steering is much better than the Astra (who would have thought), and it came with leather-covered Recaro sports seats and all the other good gear. So for a few thousand dollars cheaper than an Astra sport (and many thousands cheaper than an OPC) it really was excellent value. More importantly it's a great car to drive.

I was unimpressed by the latest Astra being a global platform designed and built in America (as a Chevrolet), in Korea (as a Daewoo), in Australia (the Cruze) and in Europe (Opel / Vauxhall). To be honest the Focus is better and the Cruze, now with 1.6 turbo, is basically the same. So Opel didn't have the product, as much as Astras in the past have been a big-selling model. But it is a shame for those who bought Opel during their brief foray becuase the value of their cars will take a big hit. Needless to say I am glad I went the way I did because the Veloster is a great driver's car with striking good looks, as long as you don't want to carry back seat passengers more than infrequently.
    Is that Hyundai really that good ??? I would never have thought so, I've driven 3 models so far that left me totally unimpressed but they were not sports models - may have to take one of these for a test drive if I get the chance can't believe it has similar acceleration to an OPC Click here to enlarge

dutchy love reading your posts but please can you use paragraphs LOL my eyes are still recovering from going bonkers reading your last 2 posts Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Regular caspers turbo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hotchip Click here to enlarge
    how can you be so bitter when you were in the enviable position to purchase a new car in the first place? if money is your main prerogative then buying new was probably not your wisest decision. do you also think when fossil fuelled vehicles become obsolete..or vehicles themselves, people will cry foul and demand compensation? (probably) but shit happens and you just need to roll with the punches. you're also talking about trading in your astra...do/did you even love it? sounds like you want to abandon ship when the going gets tough.. reminiscent of something?

after all that has happened with Opel I still decided to purchase my Astra Sport today, sure i'll more than likely lose a packet on it.. but really, when you truly love something you have to see through its faults and appreciate it for what it is.. and what is it? bloody unreal! very unfortunate that more wont experience what we few do.
    Im with you here hotchip, im in the process of buying an 2013 Arden Blue OPC, fully optioned with aftermarket 20's fitted, i was suposed to pick it up on the 25th of July but due to the windscreen being damaged during the boat ride it got put off for another 3 or so weeks for new windscreen to come from germany, so you can imagine my surprise when i read the news,
    however i have wanted an OPC since they announced that Opel delaer may bring them into Aus-that was back in Jan of 2012, so i diligently saved all my money and early June in a postition to pay cash i made enquireis to buy one, 25th of June i paid my deposit for a car i had not even test driven (was overseas) as i already own a 2003 SRiT i knew it was gonna be good, a test drive once i got back into Aus just confirmed what i already knew
    My dealer has been fantastic fom the start always keen to help, and now due to the delay i have recieved a huge discount & to tell the truth discount or not i still would have bought the car (they are that good) sure resale is gonna loose some money (all cars do) but i usually hang onto my cars for a long time, 10 years on a EA Falcon, 8 years on my SRiT and i'm only gonna sell that because i am getting the new model

I must say it is a pity Opel are pulling out and it seems to be a very rushed thing, but none of us are privy to the boardroom discussions and they are running a business and have every right to pull out, Holden will take over servicing & parts/warranty as they have in the past, the SRiT was always serviced by Holden and never had any problems.

i do feel for the people that bought cars just before the pull out, to see the discounted cars now must be gut wrenching-however thats life and at least you have a great car regardless, plus if Holdens do take over the OPC models you can bet your bottom dollar they will be badged out as Holdens, those of use that have original Opel will know who we are

As for my soon to be OPC-there was only 5 sold in SA & none will be the same as mine as i have all the options plus some trick aftermarket rims
    Soon to be for sale, 2003 SRiT in silver, 160,000k's, all in all a tidy well maintained car. All reasonable offers considered.Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sad to hear that something such as getting a new car which should be a pleasure is turning the other way for all new opel owners !!
    PS
    these long posts are making me crosseyed !!
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by caspers turbo Click here to enlarge
    Im with you here hotchip, im in the process of buying an 2013 Arden Blue OPC, fully optioned with aftermarket 20's fitted, i was suposed to pick it up on the 25th of July but due to the windscreen being damaged during the boat ride it got put off for another 3 or so weeks for new windscreen to come from germany, so you can imagine my surprise when i read the news,
    however i have wanted an OPC since they announced that Opel delaer may bring them into Aus-that was back in Jan of 2012, so i diligently saved all my money and early June in a postition to pay cash i made enquireis to buy one, 25th of June i paid my deposit for a car i had not even test driven (was overseas) as i already own a 2003 SRiT i knew it was gonna be good, a test drive once i got back into Aus just confirmed what i already knew
    My dealer has been fantastic fom the start always keen to help, and now due to the delay i have recieved a huge discount & to tell the truth discount or not i still would have bought the car (they are that good) sure resale is gonna loose some money (all cars do) but i usually hang onto my cars for a long time, 10 years on a EA Falcon, 8 years on my SRiT and i'm only gonna sell that because i am getting the new model

I must say it is a pity Opel are pulling out and it seems to be a very rushed thing, but none of us are privy to the boardroom discussions and they are running a business and have every right to pull out, Holden will take over servicing & parts/warranty as they have in the past, the SRiT was always serviced by Holden and never had any problems.

i do feel for the people that bought cars just before the pull out, to see the discounted cars now must be gut wrenching-however thats life and at least you have a great car regardless, plus if Holdens do take over the OPC models you can bet your bottom dollar they will be badged out as Holdens, those of use that have original Opel will know who we are

As for my soon to be OPC-there was only 5 sold in SA & none will be the same as mine as i have all the options plus some trick aftermarket rims
    I noticed a yellow OPC with black aftermarket rims on Carsales that was from S.A
    Thought it looked good.
    What brand of rims did you get ?

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    dutchy love reading your posts but please can you use paragraphs LOL my eyes are still recovering from going bonkers reading your last 2 posts Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, sorry, I did in wordpad but for some reason copy/paste deletes all of that.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kabel Click here to enlarge
    I noticed a yellow OPC with black aftermarket rims on Carsales that was from S.A
    Thought it looked good.
    That actually was being driven by Lisa who works for Opel... She was supposed to come out for the most recent cruise but obviously having that kinda news hit a day or two before hand meant she no longer could.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit while I still love my AH as a car, this whole thing has tainted my image of Opel as a brand and have even considered putting all the Holden badges back on (I won't though.) I loved and adored my car but now I just don't have quite the same warm and fuzzy feeling about it as I once did because of it. I've just lost the connection to the Opel brand. I say this from a "Holden" owners perspective so I don't blame you guys for not having the same warm and fuzzies as what you did when you first bought the car, in fact I'd be peeved too!
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so I picked up a Malibu CD yesterday for a week having driven an Insignia earlier on this year i can see some similarities, but i can also see some differences as well. For what ever reason the Malibu feels bigger to me on the inside could be the seats which I thought were too snug in the Opel I just dont feel as cramped as i was in the Opel. There were some features on the Opel I loved like the ventilation in the front seats and the adaptive lighting. I much prefer the centre stack of the Malibu i think Mylink is a good thing and much easier to use then the Opel which I found a pain at times.
    I will see how the kids and wife like it later on this week as none of them are aware that it's basically the Insignia with a different badge and trim.
    The diesel in the Opel was a cracker and I really liked it, I've got a petrol Malibu so can't comment on the diesel in it. Taking into account the similarities and differences between the Malibu and Insignia I don't see the Insignia being worth as much as it is over the Malibu. Specially when you can get a VF Calais for less money.
    Lots of people remember Holden selling Astra's there's ****loads of them running around my area, so i don't think people were going to buy opel as a premium brand when there are so many of previous models running around with Holden badges on them.
    I haven't driven the new Astra but have driven several of the new Cruzes and honestly knowing what you get in a Cruze Mylink, 1.6T etc, and knowing what you get in the Astra there is no way I would buy an Astra over a Cruze specially at the price difference there was.
    Don't get me wrong I am an opel fan but i am a Holden fan as well so I could never buy an Opel over a Holden simply because I know they are basically the same cars and the Holden's have all of the stuff I want in a car and not just some really nifty features and some of the stuff I want.
    Plus I own an Astra I know how expensive some of the parts can be for it (yes I know i can import them), now would I go down the same path and get a new Astra when I know the parts will be expensive in the future or go for a Cruze that's built here in Oz and parts will be no where near as expensive.
    Opel were on a beating from the start they lobbed with cars virtually the same as what Holden was selling but at a more expensive prices, most people buying cars know sweet bugger all and don't appreciate a brand like Opel or understand what it's about like Opel fans do.
    If they thought they could walk into such and open and fragmented market like Australia and start selling lots of cars without any brand awareness they are idiots, yes Holden was selling upwards of 2000 Astra's a month a few years ago but there is no chance Opel was going to start selling that many straight away.
    Yes I am very sadden by Opel leaving the market I remember how excited I was when they announced they were coming to Australia I really don't understand why leave after a year when they had other models coming that would probably sell, brand awareness cannot be created over night they really needed to stick around a bit longer.

OpelAus Forum Regular caspers turbo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kabel Click here to enlarge
    Thought it looked good.
    yep they are the same rims, Kings Wheels-Matrix, should look hot on Arden Blue
    Soon to be for sale, 2003 SRiT in silver, 160,000k's, all in all a tidy well maintained car. All reasonable offers considered.Click here to enlarge

Thread Information