Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true points above .
    I was thinking along the lines that Vauxhall is preforming better then Opel overseas . They are actually profitable which could be because there products are more main stream . Vauxhall could ride off that back of that and compete against the the likes of the Ford Focus in Australia .

Regardless of what happens if an importer or GMH were to continue the Brand in the future they would need to resign them selves to a 5 year plan of loss in there business plan then break even from the five year mark.
    The dealer network wasn't strategically place in my mind. For instance in Sydney there was no representation in the south west of Sydney nor west and western suburbs. The should have placed areas in Sydney .

Sutherland
    Northern beaches
    Parramatta
    Penrith
    Macthaur region
    Hills shire region

This would have give them the 5 corners of Sydney covered . A far more diverse customer range and more brand awareness in a major capital city.

Was this in Opel plans ? It's something I guess we will never know . There seems to be some errors that stand out in my mind as to why the brand didn't get a fair chance .

It's unfortunate the Australian Market wasn't give five years . I think the brand could have the legs if give the chance and the right marketing was put behind the product . I thought when they kicked off here and saw billboards all over Sydney on Main arterial roads across Sydney that Opel would continue the solid marketing but it seem to fall off over time .

Pity because they truly had good products to offer .

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vauxhall will only work in the UK, the same way as Holden has only worked in Australia. From the way most poms who buy a Vauxhall see it, it's supporting local jobs, even if it's owned by GM.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    Vauxhall will only work in the UK, the same way as Holden has only worked in Australia. From the way most poms who buy a Vauxhall see it, it's supporting local jobs, even if it's owned by GM.
    ... and they tried to replace Vauxhall with Opel -- and despite stacking the odds in Opel's favour (lower prices and better spec cars), Vauxhall still outsold Opel ten to one. So they eventually gave up and decided to make Vauxhall a synonym for Opel in Britain, and the cars slowly became identical.

There is only two reasons you'd see Vauxhall here. One is if Opel's reputation is too badly damaged for a return, and they want to try to bring cars over again, and the other is if a private importer wanted to have a go at the market, but couldn't get rights to bring in cars under the 'Opel' name (only one company can legally import new cars for sale per brand by Australian law).

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bloodnok Click here to enlarge
    There is only two reasons you'd see Vauxhall here. One is if Opel's reputation is too badly damaged for a return, and they want to try to bring cars over again, and the other is if a private importer wanted to have a go at the market, but couldn't get rights to bring in cars under the 'Opel' name (only one company can legally import new cars for sale per brand by Australian law).
    I don't think we'll ever see Opels on our shores ever again, badged either, Holden, Opel or Vauxhall. To begin with, this farce has damaged the brand like you said and private importers? I don't think so, as it doesn't seem to be in GMs nature to allow such things that might make sense to happen. And then GM is known to screw people over when equipment, brands and rights are being sold off. You only have to look at the dramas that emerged over the SAAB sale.

But I think the other telling factor as to Opel's future within GM might be the upcoming/overdue Corsa E. If this car comes out looking like the current TM Barina, then we'll pretty much know if Opel/Vauxhall as we know them are finished. Mainly because they are/will be built on the same platform, this will make me think that GM would be almost going down the same path as Ford with its One Ford policy. Opel, over the years has been known to give the GM overlords the s**ts with the fact they've often thrown some of the platforms out that they were given and to make their own, simply because they could do it better.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    But I think the other telling factor as to Opel's future within GM might be the upcoming/overdue Corsa E. If this car comes out looking like the current TM Barina, then we'll pretty much know if Opel/Vauxhall as we know them are finished. Mainly because they are/will be built on the same platform,
    Don't forget the Opel/PSA resource sharing deal - and Opel have already stated they are using PSA platforms for all the vehicles involved. I'd bet the next Corsa will be on a PSA platform. This would again set Opel/Vauxhall apart from Chevrolet/Holden/Daewoo.

this will make me think that GM would be almost going down the same path as Ford with its One Ford policy.
    That'd actually be a good idea - GM have way too many brands, and need to head in that direction. The brand shedding they've done in recent history is a good start, but there are still ten active brands they run outright, not counting the many they have partial ownership of...

Opel, over the years has been known to give the GM overlords the s**ts with the fact they've often thrown some of the platforms out that they were given and to make their own, simply because they could do it better.
    Yup, although GM has made significant progress with it's other small car brands by using Opel's platforms, so it's a two way street. SAAB, on the other hand, were even more notorious than Opel for reinventing the wheel, and GM got a lot less back...

I know GM were trying to push Opel into the brand space SAAB used to occupy, but that pretty much hasn't worked - Europe don't see Opel as a premium brand, and Vauxhall is only doing well in Britain because they didn't follow that edict, and quickly returned to competitive pricing.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bloodnok Click here to enlarge
    Don't forget the Opel/PSA resource sharing deal - and Opel have already stated they are using PSA platforms for all the vehicles involved. I'd bet the next Corsa will be on a PSA platform. This would again set Opel/Vauxhall apart from Chevrolet/Holden/Daewoo.
    Actually, it's been noted (and I'd probably take this with a grain of salt) that Corsa E will be built on Gamma II. Then again, as I said it's not like Opel won't throw it out if there's something better to work with. Plus, I do see the advantage of the Opel/PSA agreement allowing some of Opel's spare production capacity being put to good use if both companies use the same platforms.

That'd actually be a good idea - GM have way too many brands, and need to head in that direction. The brand shedding they've done in recent history is a good start, but there are still ten active brands they run outright, not counting the many they have partial ownership of...
    I agree. It's such a simple philosophy that's worked for Ford so far and GM are slowly catching up. Toyota only have a couple of different brands (eg Lexus and Scion) and whilst VW have a few, they keep the platforms the same with the exception of the ultra-luxury/sports cars.

Yup, although GM has made significant progress with it's other small car brands by using Opel's platforms, so it's a two way street. SAAB, on the other hand, were even more notorious than Opel for reinventing the wheel, and GM got a lot less back...

I know GM were trying to push Opel into the brand space SAAB used to occupy, but that pretty much hasn't worked - Europe don't see Opel as a premium brand, and Vauxhall is only doing well in Britain because they didn't follow that edict, and quickly returned to competitive pricing.
    This is something that really needs to be fixed if the Opel brand is to be recognised in new markets. Sure, I look at the jump from the Corsa B to the Corsa C and then to the Astra H era of Opels (from my own experiences) and then I see over the years that they've come a long way in terms of quality, but then so have many other makers and it doesn't make sense to push it upmarket when it's never been that upmarket brand. They probably should've kept just the SAAB name for that reason.

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Opel are gone, nothing is changing that.

this thread has gone on long enough.

Click here to enlarge
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information