Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Volvo all but confirmed for V8 Supercars in 2014

So what are your thoughts about Volvo coming into the series?

With no V8 they are using the 'unbranded' Chev block, do you think they can be competitive?

http://www.v8xmagazine.com.au/index....ement-imminent

V8 Supercars will announce Volvo as the latest manufacturer to join the series from 2014 at a press conference in Brisbane on Monday.

As V8X first reported last week, the Swedish manufacturer will team with current Holden team Garry Rogers Motorsport, which will run a V8 Supercar version of Volvo's S60 sedan (pictured above) with factory backing.

Without a suitable V8 engine in its line-up (the S60 uses a V6), Volvo is believed to be the first manufacturer to seek to use the unbranded Chevrolet engine block V8 Supercars has produced for manufacturers without its own V8 powerplant.

The boss of Volvo's performance division Polestar, Christian Dahl, is a guest of Garry Rogers Motorsport at Hidden Valley this weekend, though he has declined to comment until the announcement at 11am Monday morning.

Volvo will launch the Polestar version of the S60 sedan and announce the V8 Supercar program, which is believed to be a four-year initial commitment with an investment of approximately $7 million per year.

The manufacturer already races the S60 with great success in the Swedish Touring Car Championship, along with the American Pirelli World Challenge.

Volvo, which won the 1986 Australian Touring Car Championship with Robbie Francevic in a Volvo 240T for the Volvo Dealer Team, will join Nissan as a new factory-backed entrant in V8 Supercars under the Car of the Future regulations and will become the fifth make in the series.

Stay tuned to V8X.com.au for the Volvo announcement from 11am AEST on Monday.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't wait. The more manufacturers the better!
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed.
    Can`t see Ford staying on.
    Would be nice to see Chrysler there also given they have a "factory" presence in Drag Racing and Touring Car Masters.

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My predictions (this should be good)

Ford will continue on in the championship, but the mustang or possibly fusion (like in the Nascars) will replace the Falcon.

Another two manufacturers will come into the mix. Have heard many rumours about this, Chrysler are one and a Korean manufacturer is possibly the other (maybe the Hyundai Genesis)

Holden, I'm not too sure. Maybe they will die with Ford and then the Camaro will take it's spot??
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be too surprised if at some point in the game, that we'll even see Toyota join in as well. I just think a few of these other manufacturers are just sitting back and waiting to see how it all pans out before they field their own entries.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Would love to see Chrysler in there!
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nurb608 Click here to enlarge
    Can't wait. The more manufacturers the better!
    This. It's a shame they don't have their own v8 though.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't be too surprised if at some point in the game, that we'll even see Toyota join in as well. I just think a few of these other manufacturers are just sitting back and waiting to see how it all pans out before they field their own entries.
    They have a Toyota Camry V8 running in the NZV8 Series.

[IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Polestar the will use the Volvo V8 thats was developed by Yamaha and it willl be bored out from 4.4 ltr to 5ltr V8SC specs.
    2007 HSV VXR Arden Blue
    My Other toy is a 2013 Yamaha FX SHO Waverunner!

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shaun Click here to enlarge
    According to Polestar the will use the Volvo V8 thats was developed by Yamaha and it willl be bored out from 4.4 ltr to 5ltr V8SC specs.
    That's good. I thought because that engine had been discontinued (2010 I think) they couldn't use it anymore - even better that they will be able to use one of their (Yamaha developed) engines . Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Vectracious; 10th July 2013 at 08:35 AM.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Thread Information