Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has been a long time coming. its a shame for the australian automotive industry but our cost of production is too high here. that couples with the strong aussie dollar it makes our cars alot more expensive globally. not to mention australia as a whole has just over 20m people. There are cities in the world with more people in them. our own economy just wasnt big enough to support ford. hopefully holden sees the writing on the wall from this and doesnt follow the same path.
    you can live in a car but cant race a house

Current: 1979 Chrysler Lancer Hatch & 2007 Holden ve Commodore SSV
    past: 2002 SRi Astra & 1985 Holden vk Berlina

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You think they consider moving production to China or Korea ? Lower costs there.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My personal feeling it is ford US plan to replace the falcon ect with the cars produced in the US to save themselves.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nigelh Click here to enlarge
    My personal feeling it is ford US plan to replace the falcon ect with the cars produced in the US to save themselves.
    That's already a cert - the 'One Ford' policy means you'll be seeing broadly the same ford vehicles in America, Europe and Asia. While not everything gets sold everywhere, there will be no local models -- only gaps in the range if Ford chooses not to sell a specific model to a specific country. Expect to see the Taurus to replace the Falcon, and the Explorer to replace the Territory. The Falcon Ute won't get a replacement -- there is nothing out there comparable, so ford will be directing you to a Ranger instead. V8 power and RWD layout might continue to be available though -- the next generation mustang has been confirmed as a "One Ford" world car, and will be available in Europe, including in RHD. It'll be up to Ford Australia to decide whether they want to have it available for dealers here or not.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad day for the Automotive Industry and the Ford Brand. Regardless what brand of car you support when a long standing Player and name plate dissapears from the Australian market its not a good sign for others. The worst thing is the domino effect it will
    have on the rest of the Industry.
    2007 HSV VXR Arden Blue
    My Other toy is a 2013 Yamaha FX SHO Waverunner!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by scamp Click here to enlarge
    As to your benefits as a holden employee at the plant http://www.fwc.gov.au/awards/tracee/...AG838750-2.pdf
    All I can say is your benefits scheme may not be the best out there but it is certainly better than anything I've ever had and it's certainly better than the electronic assembly industry ever offered before it went under.
    The EBA you refer to only applies to the factory award covered staff and yes due to the strong unionised workforce they have been able to hold the industry to ransom and get ongoing pay rises. For me this has no impact as a non-award covered salaried professional and we have actually had salary freezes in the past few years and have now been transitioned to performance based pay with no guaranteed annual increases. This is what I was referring to. I'm not complaining at all, but I could certainly get much much more money if I moved out of the auto industry, but I have a passion for it and the company I work. It really disappoints me to see so many complaining about how much government assistance the car industry gets and how good a wicket we are on. If Australia is to be prosperous country in the future with relatively low unemployment then we need to be a country that makes something and not just one that digs up material from the ground. Once you lose manufacturing it will be gone forever, and if that is the way we are headed then we are all the poorer for it.
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

White MY13 Astra OPC

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shaun Click here to enlarge
    The worst thing is the domino effect it will have on the rest of the Industry.
    Might not totally be the case as some will move on from Ford to another brand, so lets hope that ao. Holden will benefit from this.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad news for all the people relying on the jobs but then again, they have been making pretty damn crappy cars for most of their existence. Would be great if they were forced to stop making that hummer with a blue oval, the territory (and nobody else could supply anything like it Click here to enlarge )

Seems somewhat unfair that Holden got funding for the Cruise whilst Ford got, what, more money for their ancient straight 6s?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pd-xc-72464118 Click here to enlarge
    Sad news for all the people relying on the jobs but then again, they have been making pretty damn crappy cars for most of their existence. Would be great if they were forced to stop making that hummer with a blue oval, the territory (and nobody else could supply anything like it Click here to enlarge )
    I think you'll find it's ford-badged replacement (explorer) is even more hummer like...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pd-xc-72464118 Click here to enlarge

Seems somewhat unfair that Holden got funding for the Cruise whilst Ford got, what, more money for their ancient straight 6s?
    They did both received Government funding.
    Holden had to add a small car to the production line as part of that agreement, Ford could of done the same with the Focus.

There is nothing wrong with the Ford in-line 6 either, regardless of its age.It is just about bulletproof.

This has happpened before in Australia, manufacturers getting caught with changing market wishes,changing policies and other external factors (fuel crisis etc.)
    The media do not help when they continually bag the Falcon and Commodore and had already written the obituary before the death of either.

Who wants to buy a product that may be in the near future be out of production,......................"Maybe I should steer clear of Ford/Holden and buy a Mazda instead " ?

I cannot see how announcing the closer of manufacture three years out is going to help their cause in any way either
    None of it makes any sense really.

At the end of the day do the buyers really consider where the product is made before purchasing?
    Most people probably do not even open the bonnet.

Interesting times !

Thread Information