Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telstra, Optus, Vodafone etc Discussion Thread

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by poita Click here to enlarge
    If you get a phone in an Optus plan it's covered for the life of your contract, so two year warranty on any phone
    But its a Optus plan....
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    "Bacon and eggs. A day's work for the chook. A lifetime commitment for the pig."
    My Car - 1993 Opel Monterey SL
    Wifes Car - 2005 Vectra C CDX 3.2 CLICK

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: The Android Thread

True that. Rumours are Telstra will be doing the same soon too
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hazrd Click here to enlarge
    Not many phones backing a 2yr warranty these days. Good find.
    There's a few around that do...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by poita Click here to enlarge
    If you get a phone in an Optus plan it's covered for the life of your contract, so two year warranty on any phone
    Same with 3/vodafone

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dieselhead Click here to enlarge
    Come on, who keeps a phone for two years these days? :-$
    Um, me?? Haha
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by adam_92 Click here to enlarge
    Um, me?? Haha
    Yeah me too
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have had my S2 for almost 18 months. Will probably keep it till the contract expires towards the end of the year. Thinking about buying my next phone outright and switching to Telstra or Optus, seeing as reception sucks at the new place on Virgin. Powered by Optus, yes, but on the same piece of crap they run Optus prepaid services on. My mate on an Optus plan gets near on full reception, yet I struggle to get one or two bars at the best of times.

I'm probably gonna look at the S4, but I want to see how the battery life is gonna turn out. It's got a bigger battery, but the real question would be does it compensate for the extra power requirements of the high spec hardware?
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    Have had my S2 for almost 18 months. Will probably keep it till the contract expires towards the end of the year. Thinking about buying my next phone outright and switching to Telstra or Optus, seeing as reception sucks at the new place on Virgin. Powered by Optus, yes, but on the same piece of crap they run Optus prepaid services on. My mate on an Optus plan gets near on full reception, yet I struggle to get one or two bars at the best of times.

I'm probably gonna look at the S4, but I want to see how the battery life is gonna turn out. It's got a bigger battery, but the real question would be does it compensate for the extra power requirements of the high spec hardware?
    Mate after spending 5 years on Three, the swap to Telstra was like going to mobile phone plan heaven.

On Three, I was on the $49 cap and I think the lowest amount I ever paid was about $65, the most was $2200 after turning on 3g for 5 mins and downloading an attachment (approx 5mb) related to my itinerary while traveling abroad. Managed to get it down to $800, but obviously still a ridiculous amount. $90-$100 bills were also common.

With Telstra I am on a $59 plan, with a $6 phone payment, and the most I have paid in the past year is $64.

When I was with Three I was averaging a call a month to customer service trying to find out why I was being charged for data use/WAP browsing fees/55c text messages not included in my plan etc. Have not had to call Telstra a single time in 18 months.

Other things like the reliability of the reception, customer support apps like Telstra 24/7 etc make it all the more worthwhile.

Also, encouraging my HTC One purchase is this:
    http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-one-ben...low-your-mind/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just chuck a Kogan sim in for $30 a month unlimited calls and 6 GB data a month. Well, is is not really unlimited, don't talk for more than 6 hours a day and don't exceed 400 MB a day for more than 3 days a month. No 4G but then who cares when everything works on Telstra 3G network as it should? I stream a lot of music and all good.

Had areas in the building at work where calls wow drop out and data simply would not work with the Gala Nexus. Xperia is rock solid though. I think I am done buying cheap Korean hardware for now. Had pretty poor experiences with both Samsung and HTC so far.
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Kogan sim seems like a good idea. I'd be lucky if 4G covered us out here in Davoren Park anyway, so I'd still be happy with Telstra 3/3.5G. I don't even exceed those sort of limits anyway, as I'm on a $49 cap with Virgin ($400 calls, free text and 2GB). The other reason I'd consider Telstra or the Kogan sim is that my parents live about an hour and a half out of central Adelaide and mobile reception sucks less on Telstra than any other network out there.

As for Three/Vodafail, I used to be with them and yes customer service is absolutely appalling. When I wanted to upgrade my phone (out of contract mind you), the Mumbai call centre said I could walk into a Vodafail store and get one there and then. I walked into the West Lakes store and was told that I couldn't do it. To make matters worse, halfway through the conversation with the dopey salesperson, she just walked off to apparently serve someone else. I pretty much made a scene in the store and said "F--- you" and walked out. Went to the Allphones store about three doors down and switched to Virgin.

But back on to the the topic of this thread, after today I'm now considering something other than a Samsung. My mate who gets full signal on the same network as the better half, has a HTC Desire X. I've got my S2 and the other half, a Captivate Glide (imported slider version of the S2) and it just seems the Samsung phones aren't as good with reception. HTC, well I'm not too sure, especially in regards to the build quality issues I've seen in the past. The Xperia Z as @dieselhead said, seems like a decent choice. Sure, as I get closer to the end of my contract, there'll probably be something else out.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Forgot to add, my $624 Xperia Z came with a free 12 months subscription to JB HiFi Now, worth $100. Free music until April next year, plenty of data from Kogan and amazing sound by Sony. Heaven!

The thing I like about Kogan is that you can keep your existing number. It takes a few minutes to port it to their network online and an hour later you swap the Sim and that's it. The only downside is that it takes about a month now to get a Kogan Sim.
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dieselhead Click here to enlarge
    Forgot to add, my $624 Xperia Z came with a free 12 months subscription to JB HiFi Now, worth $100. Free music until April next year, plenty of data from Kogan and amazing sound by Sony. Heaven!

The thing I like about Kogan is that you can keep your existing number. It takes a few minutes to port it to their network online and an hour later you swap the Sim and that's it. The only downside is that it takes about a month now to get a Kogan Sim.
    You can 'port' your number to any carrier
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information