Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most internal parts you can just plug in while the computer is off without any hassles, I have checked a couple of old hard drives out doing this Click here to enlarge There should be two cords you need to plug in, one for power and one for data transfer; basically just put them where they fit (one that should go to a connector coming from the power supply and one on the motherboard, the large circuit board on the bottom). Whether the spots are there for the plugs to go into will depend on whether the computers are from a similar era, as they used to use a different cable for connecting hard drives.

Have never needed to mess around with master/slave drives much, with any luck it'll start as normal and you can access the other drive from My Computer Click here to enlarge

Edit: The 4 pin plug is for power, they can be difficult to plug in but don't be afraid to use some force and do a bit of wiggling. The only other one you should need is the large flat data cable (called a PATA connection I think) and if you have a spare spot on your motherboard just plug it in there and you're good to go Click here to enlarge Just be careful not to bend the pins when you put in this cable and check you have it the right way up

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An old IDE drive!

Brando47 has expanded on what you need to do, but you're good to go.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Or if you don't want to be pulling the computer apart buy one of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221192774...84.m1439.l2649
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That would be fairly handy, compatible with every drive! Other option would be to get a HDD enclosure and convert it to an external hard drive, might give you a use for the HDD after you're done Click here to enlarge Would just have to make sure you get the right type of enclosure since it is an older drive (3.5" IDE I think is all you need to know!)

My favourite store to buy parts from locally: http://www.msy.com.au/

Or order what you need cheap from china: http://dx.com/

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by poita Click here to enlarge
    Or if you don't want to be pulling the computer apart buy one of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221192774...84.m1439.l2649
    Figured I didn't want to mess up my work computer, so I ordered one of these. Thx for the tips all Click here to enlarge
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

OpelAus Forum Addict InsaneAsylum's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of these as I work in IT. it's probably one of the most frequent things I use: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-2-0-T...item27be29f3e8

most new computers don't even come with 40 pin IDE ports anymore

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, This is what you need to do to get the data of the dive.
    You have an IDE hard Drive.
    As long as you have a connector available on the flat ribbon cable (IDE CABLE) in your working pc and a spare power plug available then you can do this.
    The Black Jumper is what sets the Hard drive to slave. On the top of the drive you will see the legend that tells you where the jumper needs to be to be set as slave (i.e. usually slave is no jumper but depends on the brand drive you have)
    Once this is connected and setup boot your pc and in my computer the slave drive will be given a drive letter (usually E: if you only have one drive and DVD rom)
    Launch E: copy your data to your c:

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hey @dutchy has it arrived yet?

Mine turned up today, power into it, usb into computer, plugged hard drive in and bam worked perfectly.

Everything on the drive was accessible again.
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by poita Click here to enlarge
    Hey @dutchy has it arrived yet?

Mine turned up today, power into it, usb into computer, plugged hard drive in and bam worked perfectly.

Everything on the drive was accessible again.
    Should be waiting for me at the post office Click here to enlarge Will check it tomorrow or the day after. What you describe is exactly what i'm after, easy, no fuss.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yep couldn't be any easier tbh. the unit is a bit bigger physically than I imagined.

But when I think about it, the size is right for the connections it has.
    2013 Ford Focus ST

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information