Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OpelAus Forum Regular 01CDsedan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear window wipers

Do you guys who have rear window wipers actually use them?

I ask because on my Astra sedan, I find that while I'm driving in the rain, the aerodynamics and so on mean that the rear window stays totally dry - as long as I don't have to stop at the lights or anything. Seeing as 99% of my driving is on the freeway between Canberra and Sydney, I hardly ever have to stop for anything...

So do you guys actually need to use your rear wipers?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Currently: no Opels
    Formerly: 2001 Astra CD sedan, 2003 Vectra CDX

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do if its parked outside somewhere and it rains. And because i used to do alot of city driving, good old stop starting...so, yes.
    Nick

MY03 - Astra SRi - Black...Sleek...

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do.. only when it's not moving. But the rear window does get very dirty at times. I think all cars, sedan or otherwise should have one. But yeah, once it's moving, the water just goes to the side.

Anonymous
    I only use mine If I've stopped and it raining or In the Morning to Clear the Mist off. Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i find i use mine abit on the Barina - doesnt't have the same aerodynamics as the astra
    DrDevil
    2003 Corsa C SXi - Aruba Blue

Anonymous
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KID_SRi
    I only use mine If I've stopped and it raining or In the Morning to Clear the Mist off. Click here to enlarge
    What he said Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wouldn't an aerodynamic car have the water run straight from the bonnet over the roof and down the rear window...

A truck on the otherhand would be dry at the back because of the lack of aero?

I think rear wipers are good... I know that when i drive my parents lancer (yuck) it has no rear wiper and it pisses me off in the morning coz it has dew on it (my cally on the other hath not this problem as i commandeered the garage muhahaha :twistedClick here to enlarge
    ===============================
    Click here to enlarge

CALIBRA...
    Its not just a car,
    Its a way of life...

Troy
    1996 North Cape Calibra - C25XE (2.5L V6)

===============================

Anonymous
    Yeha i use mine when it rains... tat reminds me, i need to get new wipers on the back.

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only when when i take off in the morning to clear the dew (if there is any)... i turn it on then off straight away!
    its annoying seeing people driving along with there back wiper on...whats the point?! esspically when its only sprinkling!!

OpelAus Forum Regular 01CDsedan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tmov81
    wouldn't an aerodynamic car have the water run straight from the bonnet over the roof and down the rear window...

A truck on the otherhand would be dry at the back because of the lack of aero?

The aerodynamics of the Astra Sedan may be such that the airflow over the car effectively 'blasts' water droplets away from the rear window, especially at higher speeds. There may also be some sort of turbulence effect back there causing it.

On the truck example, cars with dead-vertical rear ends (like most wagons and a lot of hatchbacks) get a type of airflow around the rear that actually causes them to be dirtier than average because dirt and water are sort of sucked into that area via a turbulence effect (basically because the airflow doesn't flow down the back of the car, it flows off the back of the roof and into the air). That's why a lot of wagons have a small 'spoiler' at the top of the back window - to direct air downwards in an attempt to fix this problem. VT-VY Commodore wagons are a good example of this.
    Currently: no Opels
    Formerly: 2001 Astra CD sedan, 2003 Vectra CDX

Thread Information