Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Windows 8 - Who's upgraded?

So with the release of Windows 8 who's upgraded to it?

Initial thoughts?

What sort of specs are you running it on?

Just want to hear peoples thoughts as I'm due for a new computer and wondering if I should go Win8 or keep my Win7
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Windows 8 - Who's upgraded?

I but it on my new Samsung i5 4g ram laptop.

First off it was very different but after and hour and Googling the short cuts combos i actually like and will also install it on my desktop. It runs very smooth and quickly once your on the desktop its basically win7 without the conventional start menu. I have seen a few programs which can mimic a start menu and make the computer boot straight to desktop.

Overall i think its worth upgrading but im just a home user and mainly use it only for internet.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bit the bullet and took advantage of the $40 upgrade with free Media Centre add on.

It's running on AMD PII 1090T (3.2-6 x6) with 8gb 1600mhz, an ATi 7870oc and an Agility 3 120gb ssd with 2 x 750gb for Data and a 2TB for backup.
    PC gets a 6.9 on windows system rating (which is now out of 9.9??? used to get 7.6 out of 7.9 in windows 7)

Smooth & Quick? Yes, very, though noticing some strange driver issues with GPU.
    Will it take getting used to? Yes, new keyboard combos, new interfaces for things like task manager, lack of traditional start menu - the inbuilt multi screen support though is a MUCH needed upgrade.
    It's still windows at it's core and all the tech-know-hows are still there, just might have to be accessed differently.
    One thing that annoyed me is that it took me about 5 minutes of looking until I realised how to shutdown/restart PC. They don't make it particularly pronounced, maybe this is their way of saying you don't need to off/on it as much as your more traditional pcs?

At first I was thinking 'Oh god what have I done' but I'm now of the 'meh' its just much the muchness now. I'm almost starting to like the metro start menu for its apps like the social feeds etc.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have it on my Asus EP121 slate and I love it.

I'm going to put it on Rach's laptop tonight to see what it is like without a touch screen.
    "Bacon and eggs. A day's work for the chook. A lifetime commitment for the pig."
    My Car - 1993 Opel Monterey SL
    Wifes Car - 2005 Vectra C CDX 3.2 CLICK

I'm new here, please be nice Dinjo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one of the testing versions on my Alienware laptop (i7, 8gb RAM) and hated it. Although it's incredibly fast, it just isn't as free flowing to open applications and use items as, for example, Windows 7.

It'd be a great OS for a tablet but it's useless on a laptop without a touch screen.

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have it on my old Dell XPS1530, the apps in the start menu take longer to launch than within Firefox.
    The Laptop boots up amazingly quick.
    Looks like an attempt to lock users into microsoft for all devices.
    Otherwise business as usual

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been running the Developer Preview for a few months on my Vaio - i3 / SSD / 8GB ram - Only thing I like about it is how fast it boots.

Sticking with Windows 7 on my main pc / gaming system.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take the following with a grain of salt as I don't believe much of the stuff that comes out of the mouths of the staff at my local electronics store....

I asked why it was so cheap compared to windows 7 the response was that it was a introductory offer and that after about 1 month it will go up to windows 7 pricing.
    "Bacon and eggs. A day's work for the chook. A lifetime commitment for the pig."
    My Car - 1993 Opel Monterey SL
    Wifes Car - 2005 Vectra C CDX 3.2 CLICK

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    as with everything, never buy the first Gen...Stick with Win 7 Pete

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So the $58 price point is for a limited time, it will go up to $349 on Jan 1st.

So who's in for a group buy of 50 or so copies? Click here to enlarge
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information