Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet Suppliers - feedback / suggestions sort after

Hi all,

As you may or may not know I live in the sticks and have issues with getting internet.

I am too far away to my closest exchange to get ADSL. I am currently using Internode 3G for my internet at a cost of $59.95pm for 12GB.

This is the kind of speed I have been getting:

Click here to enlarge

I have looked at Telstra for mobile broadband, but I don't like the idea of paying $109.95 for only 15GB and without knowing what kind of speeds I will get.

As I can get Telstra next G in my area I am not eligible for the NBN's subsidised satellite program as per the following requirements:

Click here to enlarge

One thing I have come across is a fixed wireless broadband connection, this is available in my area. Has anyone had any experience with this type of connection?

This is the going rate through Clear Broadband:

Click here to enlarge

Have I forgotten other types of broadband? Would fixed wireless broadband the way to go? If so what plan?

Basically I'm looking at getting all the info I can before I approach the CFO of the household.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    "Bacon and eggs. A day's work for the chook. A lifetime commitment for the pig."
    My Car - 1993 Opel Monterey SL
    Wifes Car - 2005 Vectra C CDX 3.2 CLICK

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    On TPG adsl2+ here.
    direct line to exchange is about 4km but length of line to exchange is ~12km
    Click here to enlarge

Plans are decent. think we're paying $60 a month for unlimited internet and there is no contract.

Support is decent when i've had to use it which is very rare. Only down sides are speeds are not great and whenever it rains it gets slower.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Internet Suppliers - feedback / suggestions sort after

Tpg naked here, no complaints
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a couple of guys out here to see if I can get ADSL, both said I was too far. Telstra even had issues getting me a phone line, I told them to not worry about it
    "Bacon and eggs. A day's work for the chook. A lifetime commitment for the pig."
    My Car - 1993 Opel Monterey SL
    Wifes Car - 2005 Vectra C CDX 3.2 CLICK

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    telstra and optus still say we can't get adsl where we are. tpg didn't seem to have an issue sorting it out years ago.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just a word of advice, if you can get satellite, don't. You would regret it big time. My parents are on it at the moment and it's so damn unreliable that it makes dial-up look like a better option.

I have a friend who lives down the road from my parents and he's on WiMAX with Aussie Broadband, apparently it's pretty fast, had stuff all dropouts and not too badly priced. Only problem is, since you can get 3G where you are, you may not be eligible under the ABG. I'd recommend having a look into this if it applies to your area.

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    im on primus and though living in a brand new estate, we're very far away from the nearest exhange. Was still able to get adsl+ but they couldnt guarantee the full speed as advertised. Once connected, it wasn't too bad, never any drop outs (unless theres storms) and help desk is pretty fast too if you need them. Pricing is good (approx 65 dollars for 50gb peak and 50gb off peak)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dglewis80 Click here to enlarge
    As you may or may not know I live in the sticks and have issues with getting internet.
    Heh, I live in the suburbs and have nearly as much difficulty...

I am too far away to my closest exchange to get ADSL.
    Took me seven months to get ADSL - someone in my area had to cancel before I could get on. Even then, it's ADSL 1, through a RIM device, badly contended, and as everything is a resold Telstra connection, eyewateringly expensive.

I am currently using Internode 3G for my internet at a cost of $59.95pm for 12GB.

This is the kind of speed I have been getting:

Click here to enlarge
    For 3G, that's not great, but it's usable. What do you find the worst problem with it at the moment? Is it the download speed (large files take too long to download), upload speed (slow peer-to-peer filesharing, or uploading photos or video), variability (e.g. becomes very slow or fails entirely at certain times, or some actions take several attempts to succeed), or latency (felt most acutely when playing competitive online multiplayer games)?

I have looked at Telstra for mobile broadband, but I don't like the idea of paying $109.95 for only 15GB and without knowing what kind of speeds I will get.

As I can get Telstra next G in my area I am not eligible for the NBN's subsidised satellite program
    No - and they'll use Telstra's estimated coverage map too, and not any actual coverage information - e.g. I get next to bugger all 3G signal from any network in my house, but all three networks say they cover this area...

One thing I have come across is a fixed wireless broadband connection, this is available in my area. Has anyone had any experience with this type of connection?
    I've tried getting it. It's a point-to-point link, uses something like a TV aerial. It relies on clear line of sight for good reception - but once installed is pretty consistent. The company I contacted came round and tried to install, but the signal was terrible. Of the three transmitters they could target, I had a hill in the way of one, a building in the way of another, and a tree in the way of a third.

As to what it's actually like when installed, it's comparable to 1st generation ADSL plans in terms of performance. Any current ADSL or ADSL2+ offering, or even 3G with decent reception will be significantly faster.

This is the going rate through Clear Broadband:

Click here to enlarge
    OK, 'Standard' is slower than what you've benchmarked, so to get a speed upgrade, you'd need to be on at least 'Pro' - and you probably won't notice a speed improvement unless you go for 'Power'. Watch out for that peak/off-peak data split - unless you have a way of using the off-peak data effectively, you probably need to compare to the 'peak' option only.

I would look first at trying to get a better 3G router - one with support for using a large fixed aerial. Best results would be from mounting said aerial outside. That should give a decent boost in reception, which should result in a decent boost in speed. Failing that, look for a replacement connection using WiMAX or LTE, if one covers your area.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge

i duno if u consider this slow or fast.. but i kind of wish it was quicker..

btw im with optus - i pay around 100 (special existing customer rate +15yrs) a month for unlimited calls to anyone, and 1000gb.

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jonski Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

i duno if u consider this slow or fast.. but i kind of wish it was quicker..

btw im with optus - i pay around 100 (special existing customer rate +15yrs) a month for unlimited calls to anyone, and 1000gb.
    You get 19 M/bit/sec and you wish it was faster!?!?!?! Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

And I reckon that's quick enough for what I need the net for....

but none of this helps dave out.....
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Thread Information