Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommendations for an iphone repairer in Sydney please

Good morning all.

Got a hand-me-down non-jailbroken iPhone 3GS from my wife about a year ago.

[Look, I am a uber noob, and I know Android is better, but I prefer to spend money on her and the car, than on a phone that I only use to make calls, send texts and brief emails and browse the web quickly and smoothly...]

Now, perhaps because there was a time when I did press on the Home button with wet fingers, the phone has now gotten to a stage where not only the Home button is dead (circumvented by the AssistiveTouch feature), but the Home button will effectively press itself whenever it wants, sometimes in quick succession. It used to be not so annoying (just click on the app icon to get back into whatever I was doing, and click "Cancel" whenever it goes into Voice Control, and disable Voice Dialling), and sometimes rubbing a drop of alcohol around the Home button, and burying the whole phone in a bag of rice overnight will fix the problem temporarily...

[I did watch videos of people replacing the Home buttons, but after taking the two screws out at the bottom, I don't know how to open the casing, and I am concerned that I might crack the screen or something...]

But these days, it will activate Voice Control and play and pause random songs, and prank call people, all without my intervention. And it will keep taking me out of whatever app I am using (and do it again as soon as I click back into the app), that a short text will take like 5 minutes or more to type. In fact, it is so annoying that I had to keep my phone off whenever I am not using it, and so frustrating that I would've smashed it against something hard a LONG time ago, if it isn't still worth some money!

So, to summarise: I need your recommendation for a good iPhone repairer in Sydney that can clean/replace the Home button and repair possible water damage at a fair price (i.e. open up, inspect, then close the phone and provide a free quote), provide some warranty on his/her parts and/or labour, and is honest enough not to overcharge me (e.g. just claim "water damage" anyway, and then replace more parts than needed and charge me heaps more $$$$ than needed).

Any recommendations please?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C
    2003 Star Silver Astra G OPC - gone to a good home
    2004 White Grandis Luxury
    2005 Platinum 380 LX dual fuel

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Re: Recommendations for an iphone repairer in Sydney please

Common fault with the button. It's just wear and tear.
    Sorry I can't recommend a place but jump on ebay or gumtree and you will find listing of places that do it.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Is it really worth it for a 3GS?

Repairs for anything more than $180 you would be better off buying another iPhone, or another phone.

Unfortunately older technology just isn't worth the hassle of repairing as newer models get cheaper and far out perform them
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guy 27. Was looking at a few "ads" in Gumtree, but no idea how reputable or dodgy they are, so just wanted to go with someone that an OA member has already dealt with, and can also recommend.

You are right poita: I will probably end up just going for someone who can provide a free quote, and if it is going to cost more than, say, $100 to fix, then I might as well just buy a new budget Android phone outright! Anyway, will cross that bridge if that happens. Thanks for the suggestion!
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you wanted another 3GS I'm going to be selling mine soon Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jen Click here to enlarge
    If you wanted another 3GS I'm going to be selling mine soon Click here to enlarge
    lol thanks Jen! But after being $39 poorer, the Home button now works fine, so I am afraid you will have to find yourself another buyer...at least until my Home button stuffs up again!

Will see what good value smartphones are available by the time this 3GS is not worth repairing (not too keen on another iDevice, if the merely incremental hardware and features update are any indication!)...
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah that's ok. Wish I knew the 5 announcement was so close so I could have got rid of it while it still had some value
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information