Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Opel OPC performance models likely

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/o...731-23bdf.html

High performance OPC - or Opel Performance Centre - vehicles are on the radar of Opel Australia as it looks to boost its upcoming launch lineup.

Opel Australia has its hands up for the high performance OPC - or Opel Performance Centre - models as the flagships of its soon-to-be-established range.

Speaking ahead of the September 1 on-sale date for the three-model Opel range, the brand's Australian managing director, Bill Mott, admitted he wants the OPC variants.

"We don't have the confirmation but my interest is keen," says Mott. "We haven't confirmed that but we're very interested in it and I think that's the way we'd go with a performance range."

Mott suggested the main potential blockages were engineering factors, but hinted it was likely to be just dotting i's and crossing t's.
    Advertisement

"Before I tell you we're going to get it, I want a piece of paper that says we're going to get it. I'd hate to confirm something and then find out we're unable to make it happen."

The earliest the OPC cars could go on sale would be 2013, with Mott suggesting he wants them "sooner than later, but I couldn't give you a date".

"We've got to go through a formal process ... and engineering [for export]."

Currently Opel offers three OPC models on the models the brand is planning to launch in Australia.

The Opel Corsa OPC makes 141kW from its 1.6-litre turbocharged engine, the Opel Astra OPC makes 206kW from a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder and the Opel Insignia OPC develops 239kW from a 2.8-litre turbocharged V6.

"Whether we launch them all or not we'd still need to do some homework on," says Mott.

An Opel OPC car has previously been sold in Australia as the HSV VXR.

At the time it was seen as a significant first step - or re-entry - for HSV into the compact four-cylinder performance segment.

But the brand that has a reputation for high-performance V8s struggled for sales against more established hot-hatch competition.

Opel is also planning other models as part of its imminent arrival in Australia.

The Opel Mokka baby SUV is expected to arrive here in 2013 where it will compete with the new breed of compact, city focused off-road-style wagons.

Mott also said he would consider the next generation of the Opel Ampera plug-in hybrid car that is a twin of the upcoming Holden Volt.

Mott said that while the current Ampera and Volt are too similar to justify selling them alongside each other, the next all-new models of each are expected to be quite different, opening the door for such a vehicle.

Pics - http://smh.drive.com.au/photogallery...electedImage=0
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    *BTM* Opel Astra SRi 2.2L

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider
    A thread hasn't been recognized on OpelAus forums until BTM has posted in it at least 6 times
    "As a final incentive before giving up on a difficult task, try to imagine it successfully accomplished by someone you violently dislike"

K. Zenios

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interior on the VXR looks tops and the twin exhaust exits. Could do with a more aggressive rear bar diffuser
    Arden Blue VXR- EDS 335PS 480NM
    Now
    VW Golf R MK6 Stage 2+

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good news. Let's hope it happens, but the pricing will need to be competitive against the established plays in the "hot hatch" segment.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Hoss Click here to enlarge
    Good news. Let's hope it happens, but the pricing will need to be competitive against the established plays in the "hot hatch" segment.
    I am not sure how it will be competitively priced locally when the Astra VXR is significantly more expensive than its competitors in the UK.
    The Focus ST (not a direct competitor undertandably) with 183kw/360Nm will be $38.2K+ORC here!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Renault and VW hot hatches are above $45k + on-roads.
    Those that want an OPC Astra will part with the money I am sure.

I am not ready to part with my VXR yet.
    But I will certainly be looking to trade or sell the Astra G SriT on an OPC Corsa as my daily driver.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting to see how the price points play out...

The hot hatch segment and cooking models hatch segment is ever increasing in competition...

Last weekend I went to my local MB dealer to check out what will definitely also be a major player and competitor in this segment - the new MB A Class hatch, in short it's a ripper and it's price point (45-60k driveaway for all variants bar the AMG 45 variant) suggests it'll effectively compete against the VW Golf range, so it'll attract all buyers from that price point segment also.

The AMG 45 is also going to be something else, it will feature the most powerful 2.0ltr IL4 petrol production engine ever made, designed to compete against the new 135i hatch and RS3 it'll have a base output of 261kw /450nm and an AMG powerpack optioned 294kw / 510nm, it'll also have AWD and 7spd DCT or dual clutch trans.

Opel needs to introduce a dual clutch trans for models like the Astra if it is to successfully compete against the VW Golf range, because at least 75% of sales on that vehicle are chosen with the auto...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kabel Click here to enlarge
    Renault and VW hot hatches are above $45k + on-roads.
    Those that want an OPC Astra will part with the money I am sure.
    But they aren't. GTIs start under 40K+ORC. Megane RS starts around 42K+ORC.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    Last weekend I went to my local MB dealer to check out what will definitely also be a major player and competitor in this segment - the new MB A Class hatch, in short it's a ripper and it's price point (45-60k driveaway for all variants bar the AMG 45 variant) suggests it'll effectively compete against the VW Golf range, so it'll attract all buyers from that price point segment also.

The AMG 45 is also going to be something else, it will feature the most powerful 2.0ltr IL4 petrol production engine ever made, designed to
    yeah, the A class looks great... and if you can handle blandsville the new BMW 125i hatch is good value for a RWD turbo hot hatch. 135i will be a goer as well.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opel needs to introduce a dual clutch trans for models like the Astra if it is to successfully compete against the VW Golf range, because at least 75% of sales on that vehicle are chosen with the auto...
    I would argue that isn't a valid comparison as there was no 'regular' auto offered alongside the DSG in the Golf range to compare sales with, only manual.
    Last edited by glider; 31st July 2012 at 06:06 PM.
    Glider aka Toby, 94 Calibra Turbo
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting to see how the price points play out...

The hot hatch segment and cooking models hatch segment is ever increasing in competition...

The AMG 45 is also going to be something else, it will feature the most powerful 2.0ltr IL4 petrol production engine ever made, designed to compete against the new 135i hatch and RS3 it'll have a base output of 261kw /450nm and an AMG powerpack optioned 294kw / 510nm, it'll also have AWD and 7spd DCT or dual clutch trans.

Opel will have a conventionsl 6sp auto on the cooking models and for 99% of the target market they wouldn't know the difference or even care. To these buyers a DSG is just a more expensive auto.

Thankfully at least the OPC models remain manual only (as they should be) for the true enthusiast rather than pretenders who are too lazy to use their left leg!

Thread Information