Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other PC has static IP, but doesn't matter, it also won't work if plugged in Jack 2.

Jack 2 won't work even if Jack 1 is isn't used, so it's not a conflicting IP issues.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think this will work because you are splitting at the switch and not at the router ( this will cause issues with network address translation )
    Any way you can run 2 lines direct from your router to the splitter?

This is the common way Ethernet splitters are used

Click here to enlarge

The way you have it setup now, you are asking the switch to provide 2 IP addresses from one port - This is impossible.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case I don't see the difference between a router and switch iny application as the 16 port switch is connected to the router.

Impossible to have 2 IP addresses from one port, yes, but isn't that the whole point of the device, I'm 2 ports with different IP addresses from the switch going into a device which will then split the signal into 2 cat5s and IP addresses. lol

Naah can't connect the 2 ports from the router as its located elsewhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MAD-16V Click here to enlarge
    I don't think this will work because you are splitting at the switch and not at the router ( this will cause issues with network address translation )

The way you have it setup now, you are asking the switch to provide 2 IP addresses from one port - This is impossible.
    I would tend to agree here...
    Opelized Astra G Sri-T Silver - Mods to date --> ECU Remap - K&N Pod - 2.5" cat-back zorst w/ Hi-Flow S/S cat - Eibach 'Sportlines' - Bilstein B8's - 20" Variant rims w/ Hankook 235/35/20 rubber - Aero wipers -
    To Do's - Re-paint console, FMIC!! WASH!!!!! Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge
    Impossible to have 2 IP addresses from one port, yes, but isn't that the whole point of the device, I'm 2 ports with different IP addresses from the switch going into a device which will then split the signal into 2 cat5s and IP addresses. lol
    No, the point of the splitters is to combine 2 separate ports into one - And take advantage of the 8x wires inside to carry 2 "streams" of data ( this limits it to 100mbit too as 1Gbit requires all 8 wires ) what you are doing is splitting a port on a device that does not expect to see that configuration, hence the problems.

The splitters you are using are meant to be plugged into a wall socket that is RJ45 to RJ45 wired with cat5 or cat6 - This would allow you to then plug 2 lines (ports) from your switch or router into the coupler/splitter and it will carry both data streams - Then on the destination wall socket you use the second splitter and run a line to each pc and it will give them correct IP addresses.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MAD-16V Click here to enlarge
    The splitters you are using are meant to be plugged into a wall socket that is RJ45 to RJ45 wired with cat5 or cat6 - This would allow you to then plug 2 lines (ports) from your switch or router into the coupler/splitter and it will carry both data streams - Then on the destination wall socket you use the second splitter and run a line to each pc and it will give them correct IP addresses.
    I'm pretty sure this is what I'm doing.

Loot at the photo's

switch - 2 cat5s - adaptor - patch panel - cat5 - rj45 wall plate- adaptor - 2 cat5s

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on another note, have u verified all the ports in the netgear switch are OK?

Not uncommon for a switch to lose ports, we see it fairly often @work. A voltage spike can take them out quite easily.
    Opelized Astra G Sri-T Silver - Mods to date --> ECU Remap - K&N Pod - 2.5" cat-back zorst w/ Hi-Flow S/S cat - Eibach 'Sportlines' - Bilstein B8's - 20" Variant rims w/ Hankook 235/35/20 rubber - Aero wipers -
    To Do's - Re-paint console, FMIC!! WASH!!!!! Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes all ports works.. I did swap ports at the switch end to make sure, they both worked connected to Jack 1, both failed at Jack 2.

OpelAus Forum Addict InsaneAsylum's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try the port doubler in another socket ie. to another location in the building. It may be that that particular wire in the wall has been punched incorrectly. Also I've seen a computer fail in exactly the same way with a patch cored wired as the 568B standard instead of the 568A. it really shouldn't matter but if anything has been wired as 568B and the port doubler isn't compatible with this standard then it may be why it's failing. I could be well of the mark, but it's something a little left field which it could well be ,seeing as it's not an obvious answer.

Thread Information