Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Satnav?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    the sat nav in the Merc is simply brilliant in all respects
    .... until you have to pay for a map update.

What maps do mercs use?

One advantage of sat navs built into cars, is if they lose a signal under a tunnel, the sat nav can predict where you are based on the speed of the car.

I don't rate sat navs built into cars, they always appear to be one or two generations behind the portable units in terms of function and map updates. I've never had an issue of portable GPS' losing signal.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge
    .... until you have to pay for a map update.

What maps do mercs use?

One advantage of sat navs built into cars, is if they lose a signal under a tunnel, the sat nav can predict where you are based on the speed of the car.

I don't rate sat navs built into cars, they always appear to be one or two generations behind the portable units in terms of function and map updates. I've never had an issue of portable GPS' losing signal.
    Don't know where you get your info from John, but I don't have to worry about paying for factory sat nav. software updates ??

There was an update available for my Mazda 3 while I owned that car and it was a free download/installation from the Mazda dealer. I didn't bother to get it anyway because as stated it worked brilliantly and was up to date enough when used in all my travels...

As far as the Merc goes from what I 've been told by my dealer, I'll be able to get software updates of all sorts not just the sat nav without expense...exactly what types of maps they are in the Merc I'm not sure of - if you really want to know I'll find out, all I can say is as before it works brilliantly with many different map and info display modes, more than enough info and modes for any trip anywhere Click here to enlarge

Again I don't think I'll have to bother even with that one, because in future I'll be most likely using my smart phone to direct stream sat nav apps to the carputer in the Merc. in fact I'll be direct streaming any other useful app I want or need Click here to enlarge

My Garmin 390T will sometimes drop its signal and take ages to reaquire it, my 3790T has also lost its signal a couple of times but is more solid than the 390T...

I suppose for vehicles without built in sat navs you have no choice but to get aftermarket, but for vehicles with built in units it's a total benefit in alot of aspects and you'll never want to bother with a separate unit again, it's so convenient you don't have to bother having it hanging somewhere with wires everywhere and the possibility of theft and damage to your car, unless you go to the effort of a neat concealed install as I've done with both my 390T and 3790T in 2 other cars of mine Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still enjoying the Merc?

That's interesting they are giving free map updates.. how would you update it for free? yourself or through the dealer?

after a few years, new roads, the maps are obsolete.. actually most factory fitted sat navs are obsolete when you get them.

I got a factory fitted sat nav in the GTI, my wife uses it, I just use the iPhone..

I find sat navs are only useful if you are interstate/overseas.

I wouldn't pay for sat nav in a car as an option.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still enjoying the Merc?

That's interesting they are giving free map updates.. how would you update it for free? yourself or through the dealer?

after a few years, new roads, the maps are obsolete.. actually most factory fitted sat navs are obsolete when you get them.

I got a factory fitted sat nav in the GTI, my wife uses it, I just use the iPhone..

I find sat navs are only useful if you are interstate/overseas.

I wouldn't pay for sat nav in a car as an option.
    I am absolutely loving the Merc John, even this oiler variant I've got it's fantastic...without exaggeration easily the best car I've ever purchased, in fact the more time that goes by (it's only been 2 months) the more I love it instead of it slowly wearing off as it usually does after a new car purchase...it does help though that mine is fully spec'd (I would not have been happy or settled on an un-optioned plain spec example) and I've already got alot of other AMG goodies on it and there's more to come and even some Brabus hardware coming soon too, it's a total package plus exactly the way I want it Click here to enlarge

I have been told in past by many a Merc owner "you don't realise what you've got there until you own one" and now I understand, truly a step above the rest IMHO Click here to enlarge

Getting back to sat navs, I'm not sure what the MB 'regular go' is for software updates but as stated, my dealer will provide me with any updates of that nature for free if available and if I want it...

I'm not sure which factory sat navs are useless from the get go ??? I've had no such prob as said with both with the Mazda SP25 and now the Merc, the roads and directions are faultless...I took the SP25 to Mt Hotham and back through no mans land and every land mark was spot on...no probs with any suburban streets/roads/Hwys either in almost 12 months of use.

I used the Merc to go to Arthurs Seat with no inaccuracies, will go to Canberra later this year and see how it goes Click here to enlarge

Sat navs are slowly becoming a standard feature now - in Merc C Class and above it's standard, but do agree having to pay around 3 or 4k for an optional sat nav only feature does seem a little steep if sat nav is all you get, usually these days you get an upgraded sound system as well which is worth the spend, the SP25 was top of the Mazda 3 range and also came equipped with factory sat nav built into it Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said factory sat navs aren't accurate, I said they have fewer features and cost heaps to update the map.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Of course it would taken you to Arthurs Seat, it's been there for 50 years, but new roads won't be there.

Last edited by JohnBu; 8th June 2012 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As a courier, I use both the good old street directory along with the GPS. I mainly use the street directory to plan the order in which I make my deliveries, but I often use the GPS as a guide to streets, as there are some councils in Adelaide that are too damn tight to replace stolen/damaged street signs.

The reason I really hate Navman units is especially with the MY-series, I mean that stupid power/reset switch they have, what the hell were they thinking? If you have the need to integrate a reset switch with the power switch, obviously you must think the software is somewhat buggy and needs to be reset more often. It's also this power/reset switch that can fry the unit if you switch from on all the way to reset accidentally.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said factory sat navs aren't accurate, I said they have fewer features and cost heaps to update the map.

Of course it would taken you to Arthurs Seat, it's been there for 50 years, but new roads won't be there.

I'm really confused ???

You've said factory sat navs are already out of date when you purchase a brand new car, therefore that would render them inaccurate right ?? as already said over and over again my 2 brand new cars of different types with factory sat navs are not out of date...I've mentioned using the Merc to go to Arthurs seat, but also mentioned having travelled to other suburban streets/roads new and old all over the place without any probs over the last year and a half now with the above mentioned 2 new cars without problem, never had a street or road not show up or any other kind of inaccuracies with the factory sat navs...

So let me ask you then what are you basing your info on ?? I'm guessing your VW Golf's sat nav has given you these problems ?? and also are they charging you for updates ?? if that's the case, then you can't just generalise it's the same for everbody else, because repeating again LOL I've had no such issues...Click here to enlarge

I wonder if anybody else here has had issues with their factory sat navs on any recent brand new cars they have ?? I know heaps of other people with all manner of new cars purchased of late, none have complained of sat navs being out of date or the like...

I'll ask a mate of mine who's just recently (3 weeks ago now) taken delivery of his new 1 series BMW and see if there's any sat nav issues or problems and I'll ask him if he needs to pay for updates as well, will be interesting to see what BMW does about that one Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread : Best Satnav
    You would expect quality on a merc ( for a price )
    Lets please stick to topic Off the shelf sat navs
    Unless im now on a merc forumClick here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant Corsa SRI Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running a VDO Dayton in car sat nav that's running thru my kenwood DVD player and I'm not really a fan. As far as I can see, the only way to update maps is thru whereis online and only via cd (costs around $230!!). I've been trying to source a software update but it doesnt seem to be one - given the unit must be 5 or 6 years old. Have a portable Garmin and much easier to use.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry you're confused Ange, but I can't be bothered rewording it.

Try reading it again.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Thread Information