OpelAus Participant The 2nd Womble's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ADR clarification - Airbags

I'm concidering a VX steering wheel:
    Click here to enlarge
    The spline and as a result the steering wheel skeletin will need a modification and engineers approval, but I know two who have had this done so that shouldn't be an issue.
    What I never thought about was the airbag itself. Provided the wheel is passed and all is well, from how I interpret the ADR's, the steering column unmodified as well as the airbag unit unmodified - it is actually plug and play with the TS Astra comnector AND the squib fits the TS column - both comply with ADR 10/69/73 (which ever applied to the vehicles when new) then it breaks no rules?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why dont you just buy a commodore? Click here to enlarge

On a serious note, if it can be engineered and passes, I cant see a problem. However im not sure how the TS airbag loom will hook up to the VX steering wheel, or even how that would be tested?

If you can get it to work and pass no worries, then kudos indeed!
    Last edited by hazrd; 25th May 2012 at 05:39 PM.
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a VY steering wheel, just so you know.

I cannot fathom why it would be worth the effort Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the airbag electrical plugs on both are identical, the squib does fit, and it all sits where it should on the column spline. Heres the ADR excerpts I'm referring to Click here to enlarge

ADR 10—Steering Column

The function of this Australian Design Rule is to minimise crushing or penetrating injuries to drivers due to the ‘Steering Column’ as a result of frontal impact.

And both airbag units - separate from the function of the steering column - comply with ADR's 69 and 73:

ADR 69—Full Frontal Impact Occupant Protection

The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify vehicle crashworthiness requirements in terms of forces and accelerations measured on anthropomorphic dummies in outboard front seating positions in full frontal test crashes so as to minimise the likelihood of injury to occupants of those seating positions.

ADR 73—Offset Frontal Impact Occupant Protection

The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify crash worthiness requirements in terms of forces and accelerations measured by anthropomorphic dummies so as to minimise the likelihood of injury to the occupants in offset frontal impacts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DJM83 Click here to enlarge
    Thats a VY steering wheel, just so you know.

I cannot fathom why it would be worth the effort Click here to enlarge
    Because I strongly dislike the TS wheel, the Commodore job is alot more comfortable and better looking, and this is car modding Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    no issues with what you're doing here legally as long as the airbag is still functional.

honestly though maybe look at an astra turbo styled steering wheel or even wiring in an astra AH steering wheel. both are a much nicer and aesthetically pleasing compared to the commodore one.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The 2nd Womble Click here to enlarge
    Because I strongly dislike the TS wheel, the Commodore job is alot more comfortable and better looking, and this is car modding Click here to enlarge
    Yeah agreed, but IMHO the money could be better spent though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How to get around the CANBUS though?
    It's not a Holden. It's NOT a Holden. IT'S NOT A HOLDEN!Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In all honesty, cant see it passing. There is a reason the VXR still has an Opel badge on it and not a HSV badge Click here to enlarge

Yes anything is possible, and i'm sure you can find someone to sign off on it, but it's an airbag, not something id **** with.
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also learned after reading a few pommy posts lately that a 2.25" exhaust systrm robs the 1.8 of any low to mid range torque, so theres at least $1500 not wasted. I can justify it to myself. My wife is another story.

Thread Information