awesome awesome awesome!!! Click here to enlarge
    '03 Arden Turbo "Tegan"
    '15 Fiesta ST "Tiffany"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DJM83 Click here to enlarge
    Love to see this comparo 3 years later. Comparing the 170 to the SRi T isnt a proper comparo

They are in the same price bracket though.
    I agree, despite being at similar price points at the time, they are not exactly the same class of vehicle, to me it's a bit of wank comparison...

If it were 3 years later, I'd say the XR5T would've pasted the TS SRiT without a doubt, as they would be in the same class, ie. comparing apples with apples and also priced similar, whereas car mags always throw together whatever they have on hand at the time just for the sake of making an article and selling magazines...

I've extensively driven the LV XR5T even wanted to buy one at one stage, they are a much better drive than both the TS and AH SRiT Astras IMHO and I'm not being biased as I totally love my TS turbo vert Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just remember tho there are 5cylinders in the xr5t do again could you really say that's fair, even if it's only 1 extra cylinder lol

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    I agree, despite being at similar price points at the time, they are not exactly the same class of vehicle, to me it's a bit of wank comparison...

If it were 3 years later, I'd say the XR5T would've pasted the TS SRiT without a doubt, as they would be in the same class, ie. comparing apples with apples and also priced similar, whereas car mags always throw together whatever they have on hand at the time just for the sake of making an article and selling magazines...

I've extensively driven the LV XR5T even wanted to buy one at one stage, they are a much better drive than both the TS and AH SRiT Astras IMHO and I'm not being biased as I totally love my TS turbo vert Click here to enlarge
    Agreed, i wasnt trying to start an argument. If the LS XR5T was around then it would be an interesting read and also being in the same price bracket as the ST170 and SRi.
    But then if it were 3 years later and the XR5T was around what would it be compared to (Pardon my arrogance to the GM range its not intended). Im not biased i drove a couple of hot hatches before settling on the XR5T i was just lucky it has a Ford badge so it kept me in the Ford Family.

I dont think the extra cylinder would make it unfair, some may see it that way.

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    edit

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please post
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzino Click here to enlarge
    You should upload the bfyb article. Pretty please? Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast lonewolf1983's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge

you cant compare cars that didnt exist at the same time...
    ST170 was its competitor on price, and market segment (e.g. top range hot hatch at the time), valid comparo.

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 Enjoy the articles people
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lonewolf1983 Click here to enlarge
    you cant compare cars that didnt exist at the same time...
    ST170 was its competitor on price, and market segment (e.g. top range hot hatch at the time), valid comparo.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the comparos are relative and closer than what people are implying.

High power and moderate handling vs. moderate power and high handling. (Think of the original Mini Cooper...)

Also, reading those reviews I think the gearboxes should have been swapped. The high performance of the astra would have suited the focus' long 6 speed and the short 5 speed in the astra would have been much better in the focus... 3 gear changes to get to 100 in a turbo?! bloody crazy.

I think where the astra really wins is std. equipment and body and the focus needed to be in the price bracket down (and in direct competition with the corolla sportivo which seems more similar...)
    '03 Arden Turbo "Tegan"
    '15 Fiesta ST "Tiffany"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzino Click here to enlarge
    3 gear changes to get to 100 in a turbo?! bloody crazy.
    3 gear changes in any car is crazy. my lancer only just hits 105ish at the top of 3rd gear at 7k rpm ish.

back on topic. i was saying it didn't seam fair before but at the time it was all they had to do the comparison. on a price point it is fair but on performance it isnt so much. still great reads imo.
    you can live in a car but cant race a house

Current: 1979 Chrysler Lancer Hatch & 2007 Holden ve Commodore SSV
    past: 2002 SRi Astra & 1985 Holden vk Berlina

Thread Information