Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well bringing back a 5year old thread. last night went to start the car,it switched to accessories and then the key kept turning but nothing happens. i can turn the key back and take it out however all the accessories stay on, lights work etc etc, i assume its the ignition barrel that needs replacing? this is different to the common problem people have been having where the key gets stuck, with this the key turn with no resistance at all.

anyone out there have something simlar happen or know costs involved to get it fixed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    may seem stupid, but is your car an auto? if it is make sure its in park or neutral.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine would do that on occasion before I replaced the barrell myself - When the key is out the acc would be engaged.

If you push the barrell with your finger when the key is removed, it should pop back in to place and the acc should turn off.

From memory there are 2x types of barrells depending on the type of key you have.

One is roughly $140 - And the other roughly $220 ( genuine holden pricing )

Replacing it is tricky and time consuming - As you have to remove they tumbler plates in numbered order and replicate them exactly in the new barrell.

If you do it yourself - The biggest bit of advice I can give is DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY FROM THE BARRELL WHEN IT IS REMOVED FROM THE CAR.

If you do this the tumblers ( which are spring loaded ) will shoot out everywhere and you will not be able to match your new barrell to your key.

You need to tape up the barrell before you remove the key - And then slowly remove the tumbler plates and read the numbers from each plate and note there location.

I actually had fun replacing the barrell in my car - But I am a bit strange like that Click here to enlarge

I'm new here, please be nice katengordy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old thread but maybe it will help someone else, the fix below works great just follow the instructions and with a bit of common sence and these you can fix the problem:

[HOLDEN ASTRA TS 2000

TITLE: ASTRA IGNITION BARREL FIXED ... NO COST!

ISSUE: IGNITION *ADVICE*
    POST: "I have a TS 2000 Astra and the key kept getting jammed. It won’t turn. It happened about two years ago and cost $300 from memory. I have searched /googled every site in the world or so it seems on this problem. Seems there are Many Astra owners with this problem.

Today - fixed it ... and it didn’t cost a penny.

Step 1. Pop off the front top cover immediately behind the steering wheel. The one which the indicator and wipers stalks go through.

Step 2. Get a star (like an allen key) key and undo one screw from underneath, and two on the top sides (Revealed after step 1).

Step 3. Depress the latch on the side of the wiper stalk assy and slide out the whole assy from the slot, towards you.

Step 4. Get a small nail or very small screw driver and poke it into the small hole revealed by removing the wiper assy.

Step 5. Put your key into the gin and while holding the nail in the small hole (pressing inwards) pull the whole barrel assy out. Easy! (There's a small spring loaded 'catch' on the barrel which locks it inside the steering column.

Step 6. Look at the opp end of the barrel to the key and see a small pin which rotates when the key is turned. The last position of this pin, when you remove the key from the barrel is where the problem lies. There's a small 'ramp' inside the barrel which you can see. It will be burred and pitted from use. (and a 'sharp' end on the pin. Steel pin and soft metal barrel)

Step 7. Use a small file to smooth the metal ramp.

Step 8. Rotate the key all the way "on". Depress the Pin in slightly (against a spring) so you can rotate the barrel to the end and the pin will pop out. (Don’t Lose It, or the small spring inside the hole the pin came out of!)

Step 9. File the fat end of the pin to look rounded, not flat. This makes it easier to ride up the ramp and prevent damaging the *hit metal ramp again.

Step 10 Reinstall the pin and rotate the key so the pin can’t fly out.

Step 11. Put a small amt of grease on the pin and work with the key backwards and forwards to ensure it is working OK.

Step 12. Hold the spring catch (Step 5) down with a small screwdriver and reinsert the barrel. It can only go back in One Way! Trail and error will find it!

Step 13. Reverse assemble the stalks, covers etc.

Saved around $140 in parts.

Good luck "
    POSTED BY: ROB ADAMS - SYDNEY, NSW, AUS 3/12/2007

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gonna post and say I can second this, worked a treat Click here to enlarge if you can find the original post on Google there's a few useful tips in the comments section. Couldn't turn the key at all and now it's as new

Thread Information