Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ignition key cylinder problems?

Went to start my car yesterday to go to work and the key wouldn't turn! Steering wheel wasn't locked at all just the key wouldn't budge. Holden first told me it's very uncommon, but when the tow truck driver came he said it happens all the time over summer, when cars get too hot..

Get to holden and they tell me it will probably be fixed in the afternoon, ie 3 hours later.. guessing it happens more than they let on to be fixed that quickly..

Anybody else had a similar problem?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Because you can...

Astra SRi '02
    2 1/4 exhaust
    BMC air filter
    Hyclones
    fully sik undercar neons...

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a common problem caused by a sticky barrel and heat (I think.. have to look back at the documents but it is caused by heat). It's happened to mine but only gets slightly sticky.

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep its caused by heat. It happened to my car a few weeks ago twice. The second time the car went to the Holden dealer and they replaced the barrel. RACQ came and fixed it both times. They just blew air in there for a few minutes. But sometimes it doesnt work. At the time my car was about 2 or 3 weeks away from being out of warranty so im pretty lucky.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holden said it was uncommon? LOL Thats funny - the Holden dealer I took mine to replaced mine under warranty without me asking after I asked him to put some teflon in it to loosen it up. He told me it was a well known problem.

OpelAus Alumni
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah very common. I've never been unlucky enough to have to call out RSA, a wiggle of the steering wheel and some gentle persuasion normally fixes it.

A squirt of graphite powder should see you good.

FAR from UN-common though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had it happen to mine, its really a pain. Sometimes the key just sticks there and won't come out. Just need alot of strength

Anyway called up holden, took it in, and they replaced the lock barrel, no questions asked
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Issued: Aug 99

TS - IGNITION SWITCH FAILURE

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

A no start, no crank condition experienced on some TS Astra vehicles left standing in the sun for extended periods has been traced to a heat sensitive ignition switch. The heat penetrates through the steering column cover and expands the switch rotor.

SERVICE RECTIFICATION

A revised ignition switch has been introduced with a material change and can be identified by a black coloured rotor.
    Refer to the relevant section of the Astra G service information in TIS for the removal and replacement instructions.

PARTS INFORMATION

Part Number: 90589314

Description; Ignition switch

Qty: 1

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

Use existing information in Labour Time Manual.

Order the new part from HSPO - all parts at HSPO are of the latest specification.

----

Issued: Dec 03

SERVICE FIX - Ignition Key Jams In Off Position Or Is Difficult To Turn from Off Position TS, TT, XC Barina/Combo with “S” Profile Ignition Keys/Barrels

This Techline supercedes the Advanced Service Information in Issue 1, Feb, 2003. It is now recommended to install the latest revised ignition
    barrel instead of reworking existing parts. Production breakpoints have also been provided.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
    In some vehicles the ignition key may jam in the “OFF” position or be difficult to turn from the “OFF” position.

This condition only affects ignition barrels/keys with “S” profile. It does not affect those with “D” profile.

To confirm profile type refer to Part Finder TS Catalogue, section 06-250A.

This condition results from the hard barrel pin causing excessive wear of the soft alloy ramp section of the barrel housing.

PRODUCTION RECTIFICATION
    Revised ignition barrels have been fitted to vehicles from the following breakpoints:

ISOVIN: Build Date:
    XC Barina - W0L0XCF6824246086 30/04/02
    XC Combo - W0L0XCF2523030966 30/04/02
    TS Astra - W0L0TGF4825195733 May 02
    TT Zafira - W0L0TGF752H035990 Aug 02

SERVICE RECTIFICATION
    Summary: For complaint vehicles install a new ignition lock cylinder and tumblers.

To Remove and Reinstall the ignition lock cylinder refer to TIS 2000 as follows:

TIS Screen Select the following
    Service
    Information
    Standard Information
    Model Astra G/Corsa C/Zafira
    Year 2002
    Eng. -
    Vehicle
    Data
    Trans. -
    Asm.
    Group
    - Electrical Equipment & Instruments
    +Switches, Control Units, Relays, Ign Lock Standard
    Info.
    Applic’n Repair (Remove,Install,Adjust)
    Document List Lock Cylinder for strg. & ign. lock R & R

Tumbler Replacement
    The old tumblers must be replaced with the new ones supplied in the kit. To retain the same key coding, remove the tumblers one at a time from the old lock shaft, read the number stamped on the tumbler and then install a new tumbler with the same code into the new lock shaft in the equivalent slot.

Note. There are 4 different codes of tumbler and a total of 10 tumblers per lock cylinder.

PARTS INFORMATION
    Part No.: 92146450

Description: Barrel Kit – Ignition (S profile)

Qty: 1

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
    Use Labour Times information in Warranty Information section of current PV SIP CD

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to drag up an old post, but we've got this exact problem in our astra, any idea how much it costs to get fixed out of warranty?

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sorry can't help you there. I guess that's what's annoying about holden with that, any warranty job they keep all the paper work and costs etc.. Labour costs can't be that high, i think it'd take no more than 30minutes to put in, and they have the parts their in stock (so it seems) but wouldn't be able to give you a cost, sorry..
    Because you can...

Astra SRi '02
    2 1/4 exhaust
    BMC air filter
    Hyclones
    fully sik undercar neons...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not at John Sivyer Holden they dont keep the costs to themselves....even for warraty-covered work.....full receipts and everything
    17x7in Shadow Black Advanti Stalkers
    DBA Slotted Rotors
    Lucas pads
    Customised King Springs
    KYB Shocks
    Sound
    Tint
    Opelised
    Viper Custom Alarm

Crossfire

Thread Information