Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dees find a Gem in Opel

We had some very exciting news over the weekend, announcing that we will be the joint major partner of the Melbourne Football Club (See link http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/n...1/default.aspx)

While the Dee's may not be everyone's team, as a brand we think it is the perfect match for us as highlighted by our MD, Bill Mott;

“The Opel brand is new to Australia, but similar to the Melbourne Football Club, we enjoy a rich history, steeped in quality, tradition and progressiveness."

We are really excited to get the brand out there as we build towards our launch in Sepetember this year and as a born and raised Saints fan I now find myself saying with the rest of the Opel Australia team, go Dees!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Personally I think it is a very smart move by Opel.
    Instantly you have sparked interest in 100+ thousand Melbourne supports and curiousity with everybody else.
    Also shows that you're not just here to sell cars...

Go Pies!
    :: OpelAus Senior Moderator ::
    :: OLD: 2000 Opel Corsa B 1.4 - Old info here - 48.7kw atw
    :: OLD: 2003 Opel Corsa C SRi - Old info here - 84.8kw atw
    :: OLD: 2003 Opel Astra SRiT - 182.3kw atw
    :: Daily: 2001 E46 BMW 325Ci Coupe – 2.5L 5spd Manual
    :: Project: 1983 AE71 Toyota Corolla CS-X - not sure what to do yet... ::

www.pauljakubicki.com
    facebook.com/PaulJakubickiPhotography
    Event Photographer/Writer for SpeedNation.com.au

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm stoked about this. Was funny listening to the people in the stand on Sunday when it was announced up on the screen... "what's Opel?"

Great step to raising awareness of the brand.

PS. Any special deals for Melbourne FC Members? Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    agreed to all of the above. To all those that havent heard the name before and to the millions of households it will cover through television coverage, im sure its worth its weight in gold. An excellent strategy and what perfect timing!

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While brand awareness of Opel isn't high, it won't take long as long as they recognise 'Astra'.

The Astra brand is quite odd.. you get people who love them or hate them.

A couple of my family members purchased new TS Astra's back in the day with my suggestion, they were very happy with the cars (in 98 the Astra was leaps and bounds better than the opposition), but little things did go wrong after 5-6 years which in itself isn't too bad.

BUT the issue was they weren't mechanically minded and where charged a fortune by the dealers for simple repairs, when I could have got parts from the UK at 1/5th the price, so that left a sour taste in their mouths, not the car itself.

I see the same thing with VW these days, quite a few one time VW buyers who vow never to buy another VW due to the way they were treated by VW and the cost of servicing/parts/repairs.

So I hope Opel Australia learns from this. Maybe even introducing fixed priced servicing for the first 3 years. It doesn't have to be cheap servicing like Toyota's $120, but a fixed $300 odd price like Peugeot which will relieve some buyers.

VW have really scared off 2nd round buyers with $430 first services, $650 second services.

I'm looking forward to seeing some Opels on the road, especially the performance versions. The OPC Astra looks like a cracker!
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

OpelAus Participant Corsa SRI Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 johnbu you couldn't have said it any better
    CORSA C SRI 103KW
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Funny how most Aussie people don't know what an Opel is, yet the original Holden Commodore was very much an Opel creation. Only differences Holden made were RTS (Radial Tuned Suspension, a creation of Peter Hanenberger, originally an engineer/tester for Opel, later Holden CEO), Holden badges and a Holden engine.

Good to see Opel put themselves out there with sponsorships and so forth. Really, I don't see too many of the other Euro brands trying to appeal to the people through these methods.

On the topic of profile raising, I wonder whether Opel would possibly consider entering the V8 Supercars under the new Car of the Future rules that see Nissan dragging in the Altima next year. I know they probably won't, but it'd be interesting seeing an Insignia-like car hitting the track. If by some miracle they did, I somehow seeing it using Holden hardware underneath to cut development costs in the sport. Not like Opel haven't shoved a V8 in an Astra and made it RWD in the past either.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_r Click here to enlarge
    Funny how most Aussie people don't know what an Opel is, yet the original Holden Commodore was very much an Opel creation. Only differences Holden made were RTS (Radial Tuned Suspension, a creation of Peter Hanenberger, originally an engineer/tester for Opel, later Holden CEO), Holden badges and a Holden engine.

Good to see Opel put themselves out there with sponsorships and so forth. Really, I don't see too many of the other Euro brands trying to appeal to the people through these methods.

On the topic of profile raising, I wonder whether Opel would possibly consider entering the V8 Supercars under the new Car of the Future rules that see Nissan dragging in the Altima next year. I know they probably won't, but it'd be interesting seeing an Insignia-like car hitting the track. If by some miracle they did, I somehow seeing it using Holden hardware underneath to cut development costs in the sport. Not like Opel haven't shoved a V8 in an Astra and made it RWD in the past either.

+1

A connection with motorsport bodes well for the brand (or any motor company) and the v8 audience spreads further through the country. A move in that direction would be good in 2-5 years once basic brand awareness has been established and would set them up well for a launch in NZ. Provided the v8's contract a more profitable track there.

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Opel don't have a V8 though, all those other manufacturers do
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just bolt two z20s together Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information