Hybrid View

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nissan to join V8 Supercars in 2013

Thoughts?

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/n...208-1req7.html

The days of Holden and Ford locking horns for bragging rights in V8 supercar racing are numbered with the category to announce today that Nissan will join the battle from next year.

The Japanese brand will team up with the four-car Kelly Racing outfit that currently races Holden Commodores, but without any factory support from Holden.

Nissan will be the first manufacturer to break the duopoly held by Holden and Ford since the sport adopted a strict requirement in 1993 for V8-powered, rear-wheel-driven cars designed to suit the Commodore and its Ford large-car equivalent, the Falcon.

Advertisement: Story continues below There is irony in the fact that Nissan will be the first manufacturer to break the local stranglehold as it is the very manufacturer that the category sought to exclude when it drew up new regulations in 1993 to end the dominance of the four-wheel-drive, turbocharged Nissan GT-R.

It’s believed that Kelly Racing chairman John Crennan – the man who masterminded the Holden Racing Team’s phenomenal success streak in the late 1990s and early 2000s – brokered the deal after speaking with several manufacturers.

Nissan and Chrysler have been linked to V8 Supercars since the category’s chairman Tony Cochrane announced last year he would welcome a third brand to the series. The American Chrysler brand has been linked to Garry Rogers Motorsport, another Holden team.

However, Crennan told Auto Action magazine last August that Kelly Racing wanted to stay loyal to Holden and outlined a plan for his squad to replace the Holden Racing Team as Holden’s factory-backed squad.

“There seems to be an enormous amount of keenness on behalf of V8 Supercars and certain powerbrokers pushing the barrow that we should be getting involved with another manufacturer, because we have superb facilities and no manufacturer deal,” he said at the time.

“I’m tired of these people putting out this line – it would disturb our goal of replacing HRT as the main Holden team at the end of their contract [at the end of the 2012 season].”

A question mark remains over what car Nissan will use for its V8 Supercar entry. It has outlined plans to replace its Maxima – a car that straddles the medium and large passenger car categories – with the similarly sized Altima in 2013.

Although the Altima is not currently available with a V8 engine, it is thought to be the frontrunner for Nissan’s Kelly Racing entry.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    *BTM* Opel Astra SRi 2.2L

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider
    A thread hasn't been recognized on OpelAus forums until BTM has posted in it at least 6 times
    "As a final incentive before giving up on a difficult task, try to imagine it successfully accomplished by someone you violently dislike"

K. Zenios

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Can only make a boring motorsport better.. Suprise Toyota dont join in with a v8 version of aurion or lexus isf.

The return of the Nissan q45? Lol horrible car

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I reckon they will be branded as Infinity to coincide with the re-launch of Infinity in Australia as it's own brand, similar to what Opel are doing.

So my thoughts are a G37 or the likes
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast Feelinlucky75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    opel should do a v8 insignia!!!!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Think bmw should enter with a m3

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    has to be a 4 door production car, arent M3's only 2 door?
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also come im 4 and convertable

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    BMW wouldnt waste their time with V8SC because they have better things they could enter in i would assume
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeh but imagine the race with these cars
    Holden commodore
    Ford falcon
    Bmw m3
    Infinity g37
    Lexus isf
    Merc c63amg
    Maserati quatroporte
    Etc etc

Imagine how much more interesting itd be
    Last edited by gmonkey; 9th February 2012 at 10:23 AM.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    not really

BMW wouldnt comply with the rules that V8SC lay out when it comes to the engine that is run plus the wheelbase is different aswell
    Lexus is too short of a wheelbase
    Merc wouldnt change their AMG to suit the rules either (plus they pump enough cash into F1 as it is)
    Maserati would just be stupid and unfair (way too much power, if their engine would even be allowed in the series)

I agree it would be pretty interesting but the rules are too strict to allow these cars into the competition
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Thread Information