Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rego transfer QLD - NSW

Im looking at a car in QLD, and was wondering if anyone else here had been through the process of transfer of rego to NSW.
    I did a quick search and found this on anotheer forum, which is of some help.

QLD To NSW Rego Transfer

Hi Guys

I Just Purchased a VY Commodore from QLD, And had to have the Rego Transferred.
    Between the RTA and QLD they are not very helpful on how to transfer it over.
    So i thought i would mention whats involved.

First, Find a Car that You like in QLD. Be sure its in Tip Top order. The QLD Seller must provide a Road Worthy Check in order to Sell it in QLD.

Once you have found the car, And both you and the seller are happy, And Checked the Vin for a Reevs Check, Proceed the Transaction. Note its a good idea to get insurance over the phone before driving it away, just incase something unexpected Happens.
    Download This form QLD Transport Web Site - F3520 - Transfer of Vehicle Registration Application

http://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/formsdat.nsf/forms/QF3520/$file/F3520_es.pdf

Fill out all possible Details.

Receive a Receipt from the seller for the car, That includes The Car Rego, Vin, Sellers Address, The Sellers Signature, And of course who they sold it to (Your Full Name)

Keep All possible Paper work with you in the car while processing the Rego, just in case you are pulled over and you have proof you now own the car.

Contact a Mechanic that can proceed with a Blue Slip, This is just like a Pink slip but more involved.
    You can find a Check Station here. The Mechanic will fill out the Blue slip, Then you will need to fill out all your personal details on the blue slip to complete the registration form thats included on the blue slip.

Find an Authorised Safety Check Station

Once you have a Blue Slip, You can Then Organise a CTP Green Slip, Most Insurance companies i contacted required me to go into there nearest office to organise it.

Once you Have your CTP, Blue Slip, Proof of Owner ship of the Car, IE - Receipt & Rego Transfer Papers. Walk Into the RTA. Wait inline for 5 Hours.
    Hand Over Proof of Owner Ship, Blue slip that includes Registration details, CTP, And the Old QLD Plates.
    Once they check over the paper Work, Hand Over about $700 in fees, Decide if you want Big yellow number plates or slimline White/Black Ones.
    Once all processed, Leave the RTA, Screw on the New Number plates, Remove the Old QLD rego sticker, Stick new NSW sticker on.

Drive away in Style.

Hope this helps a lot of confused people.
    The RTA site has some info too, but one item that makes me a little uneasy is this:

An engineer's certificate if the vehicle has been modified beyond the owner-certified level, or is an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV).

So Im assuming Ill need this as well as the blue slip?

The car has QLD legal mods, but I know how things in NSW work, and its never as easy as it should be.

Mods, from memory, are exhaust, sway bar, intercooler, springs. (Its chrissn's Astra)

Also, will I need a QLD transport safety cert?

Any light shed on the matter would be appreciated.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Last edited by willhouse; 24th January 2012 at 04:59 AM.
    Silver 1.8 G (Gone) Silver 2.2 G (Gone) Silver 2.0 Turbo G (Gone too)

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read the QLD Main Roads Transport etc website, as I've recently purchased a QLD registered car and live in Vic.

The actual process lot less confusing than the website. This is what I did.

Purchase car.. no QLD RWC required- get a transfer form and receipt from the seller.

Drive to Vic.

Get a Vic RWC.

Take receipt from the seller & Vic RWC & QLD rego plates to VicRoads.

Get new Vic plates, pay stamp duty in VIC. VicRoads will also give you a receipt stating you have returned the QLD plates to them.

Apply for pro-rata refund of QLD rego from QLD. I've just done this and am awaiting the pro rata refund..

I wouldn't worry too much about the mods as they are legal, a mod where they changed the engine is different.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exhaust needs to be <90db if the blueslip tester is a bastard then you will need to get it tested to prove that

in NSW you can have no vent to atmosphere, so no pods or breathers or BOV

you might get away with intercooler depending on the tester

swaybar has to be above 110mm (100mm fully loaded)

make sure you get a refund on any residual QLD rego and CTP as you will lose this going to NSW
    the easiest way should be:
    1. get safety cert for car
    2.with safety cert in hand, go to the QLD dept transport to get an unregistered vehicle permit which doesn't cost much
    3. de-register and claim refund in QLD
    4. drive car to NSW and enjoy all the weird looks as you drive without numberplates (never had so much attention in my life!! lol)
    5. get blue slip or engineers cert (which can now replace the blue slip under the new laws)
    6. go to rta, fill out forms, pay moneys, get number plates
    7. Drive
    Last edited by benzino; 24th January 2012 at 10:49 PM.
    '03 Arden Turbo "Tegan"
    '15 Fiesta ST "Tiffany"

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.Start an insurance policy scheduled for the day you will make the purchase. You don't have to pay anything yet nor does the car have to belong to you yet. NRMA covered me for 2 weeks before they took money out of my bank.
    2. Buy the car
    3. Get receipt with all details, owner buyer details, car details, amount, copy of Reg certificate
    4. Drive it to NSW. Any speeding tickets you get from cameras will be a pain for you and seller so avoid that.
    5. Get a blue slip / Vehicle Identity Safety check. They will require the Rego Cert and receipt. My car had mods like brakes, intercooler, exhaust, springs, shocks, but looked standard. IT passed no problem.
    6. Get a green slip
    7. Go RTA and take your QLD plates in and do the rest. You may or may not get called into the RTA inspection centre (theres one in Silverwater). Apparently 10% get called in for new registrations/interstate purchases. I've been called in once out of 2 times. They are ANAL about mods. Pray to hell you don't get called in. If you do, revert car to stock or get it engineered (expensive). Once they issue new plates they give you a slip that you can post to QLD so they can refund your remaining rego money.

Blue slip - $50
    Green slip - $varies
    Rego - $200
    New plates - yellow $30 - black on white $150 ish? can't remember.
    Comprehensive Insurance - Varies
    Stamp duty (3% value)

a lot of hassle, make sure its worth it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked the rta about refund and they said there was absolutely no way to get a refund after purchasing and to get it before de-registering (I guess they are wrong seeing as though you all have done it...)

edit: this might help too http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registrati...transfers.aspx
    stupid rta
    Last edited by benzino; 24th January 2012 at 10:33 PM.
    '03 Arden Turbo "Tegan"
    '15 Fiesta ST "Tiffany"

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't "done" it yet but i have the slip waiting to be posted. But thats how its done apparently. Makes sense. The RTA gives you a receipt to say they have disposed of the old plates and that is enough for QLD to refund you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replys, very helpful.
    aznpsuazn, I think Ill go down the same track as you. I think if take the plates off in QLD, like benzino did, then drive 800km to Mudgee, during easter, Im bound to attract the attention of the rozzers.

What sort of car did you register with the mods?

Fingers crossed Im not called to an inspection centre.

Whats the allowable time to drive interstate on QLD plates? One page on the RTA says 90 days, another says 28??

It will be worth it. Been wanting an SRIT for a long time, and this one is perfect for me.

Its still a while away before I do all this, but Ill update once I get through it all!!
    Silver 1.8 G (Gone) Silver 2.2 G (Gone) Silver 2.0 Turbo G (Gone too)

Thread Information