Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Clarkson Opens His Mouth - Bad Things Emitted

Like a lot of the comments say, if you take him seriously then more fool you really. But it may of gone a little too far

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...202-1o9ss.html

One of Britain's biggest unions has called for the BBC to sack popular TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson after he said public sector workers on strike should be shot in front of their families.
    The Unison trade union said it was taking legal advice after the presenter of the Top Gear motoring show - a worldwide hit - made the comments on a chat show after more than a million workers went on strike on Wednesday.
    The BBC said it had received about 4700 complaints about Clarkson's comments on The One Show, despite the broadcaster issuing an on-air apology.
    Advertisement: Story continues below
    After the controversy spiralled throughout the day, Clarkson himself apologised, saying his comments were not intended to be taken seriously.
    When asked on the show on Wednesday what he thought of the mass strike in protest at changes to public sector pensions, Clarkson said, to laughter from the studio audience: "I would have them all shot."
    The presenters grimaced as he went on: "I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families.
    "How dare they go on strike when they've got these gilt-edged pensions while the rest of us have to work for a living?"

Karen Jennings, Unison's assistant general secretary, said Clarkson had spoken "almost like [late Libyan leader Muammar] Gaddafi would have spoken about demonstrators".
    "It's an incitement to hatred and we are seeking legal advice," she added.
    In a statement late on Thursday, Clarkson said: "I didn't for a moment intend these remarks to be taken seriously - as I believe is clear if they're seen in context.
    "If the BBC and I have caused any offence, I'm quite happy to apologise for it alongside them."
    Prime Minister David Cameron, a personal friend of Clarkson, dismissed his comments as "silly".
    "It was obviously a silly thing to say and I am sure he didn't mean that," Cameron said.
    "I didn't see the remark but I'm sure ... it's a silly thing to say."
    Clarkson previously caused outrage when he described former prime minister Gordon Brown, who lost his sight in one eye in an accident suffered while playing rugby as a teenager, as a "one-eyed Scottish idiot".
    In February, the BBC apologised to the Mexican ambassador in London after the Top Gear presenters described Mexicans as "lazy", "feckless" and "flatulent".
    The BBC said Clarkson's latest comments were a misguided attempt at humour.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...#ixzz1fNSMvgOX
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I can't see the BBC sacking him. Clarkson always makes these sorts of comments and being as controversial as he is, it's what makes him popular. It's kinda like that knob we have here polluting our airwaves and now the TV, also known as Kyle Sandilands. Only differences are, Clarkson isn't an oxygen thief and he is actually somewhat funny in comparison.

Personally, what I like about him and the Top Gear crew is the fact they are not afraid to bag a car if it is indeed absolute crap. Too often you see motoring journos going easy on total buckets of s**t, all because they're afraid they won't get any more cars to thrash around from those manufacturers.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People should lighten up. I make jokes all the time and people think I'm serious and take offence to it... stuff em... Life should be funny, have a laugh, if not, jump.
    Click here to enlarge
    2002 Astra G Sedan
    Current Project:
    CarPC

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Daisy; 3rd December 2011 at 08:47 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Daisy Click here to enlarge
    Context is sadly underrated in today's world.
    + 1
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

In the future, in the past, somewhere ......
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dahlia Click here to enlarge
    People should lighten up. I make jokes all the time and people think I'm serious and take offence to it... stuff em... Life should be funny, have a laugh, if not, jump.
    I had this motto and ended up dealing with HR at work 12 months ago. People take things literally too seriously these days.

Click here to enlarge
    "oooh Simon gets a turbo, this could be dangerous!" Mr Cali
    13 Opel Astra Select 1.6 [Mrs] |13 Golf GTi [Speedster] | 81 DMC [Cruiser] | 79 Lancia Beta Spyder [Resto]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SIMid Click here to enlarge
    I had this motto and ended up dealing with HR at work 12 months ago. People take things literally too seriously these days.
    Indeed.
    We have made an industry out of Political Correctness in the workplace.
    HR would not exist if we lightened up a bit !

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most humor offends at least someone or some group... Shrug it off and wait for a joke that suits you.
    In my case, you cant offend me, I love comedy. Especially black/tongue in cheek comedy.
    Last edited by Dahlia; 3rd December 2011 at 04:58 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2002 Astra G Sedan
    Current Project:
    CarPC

In the future, in the past, somewhere ......
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My practicle jokes where done to someone who could take it, but someone else found it unfit and complained. And my bosses wonder why i dont mingle with the team.... He's signing my resignation if i was to "mingle".

Click here to enlarge
    "oooh Simon gets a turbo, this could be dangerous!" Mr Cali
    13 Opel Astra Select 1.6 [Mrs] |13 Golf GTi [Speedster] | 81 DMC [Cruiser] | 79 Lancia Beta Spyder [Resto]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F*ckers aren't offended, they just wanna get paid. People like this are morally reprehensible.

But even beyond the topic itself, I blame the media for considering this newsworthy.

Thread Information