Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    you would have to build a pc that uses a tegra, arm or soc setup

if you dont know what they are, then i would look at other options Click here to enlarge
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by astra088 Click here to enlarge
    if i get this ocidvi-ah thing, i won't need an obd dongle at all, as I'll be able to switch back to the OEM system screen with fuel, k's etc.
    what do you reckon my chances are of installing android 4.0 onto a car pc? it would be a sweet system with a touch panel in the dash.
    If you really really want android, check this out: http://www.android-x86.org/ But honestly windows is the way to go, there is 100's more apps for windows for a car than android. Check out www.mp3car.com for heaps of info.
    Last edited by Dahlia; 19th November 2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2002 Astra G Sedan
    Current Project:
    CarPC

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dahlia Click here to enlarge
    If you really really want android, check this out: http://www.android-x86.org/ But honestly windows is the way to go, there is 100's more apps for windows for a car than android. Check out www.mp3car.com for heaps of info.
    yeah... but i just want ease of use. Android is meant to be installed on computers with 7" screens, and I would only ever use the GPS navigation, and to play music. I'm starting to think that maybe instead of a full carpc, i might just buy an android tablet, and have it in the glovebox... then export the video to the ocidvi-ah (most tablets have HDMI out these days), which goes to the CID screen. That means when the car's not on, the tablet is still asleep on its battery, and when the car turns back on, it starts charging it again, eliminating boot wait. it will already have an inbuilt gps chip, and i might even splurge and get one with 3g network. The touch panel will hopefully be able to connect directly to the tablet's usb port (waiting for the guy to email me with drivers for android).
    Last edited by astra088; 19th November 2011 at 08:14 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by astra088 Click here to enlarge
    yeah... but i just want ease of use. Android is meant to be installed on computers with 7" screens, and I would only ever use the GPS navigation, and to play music. I'm starting to think that maybe instead of a full carpc, i might just buy an android tablet, and have it in the glovebox... then export the video to the ocidvi-ah (most tablets have HDMI out these days), which goes to the CID screen. That means when the car's not on, the tablet is still asleep on its battery, and when the car turns back on, it starts charging it again, eliminating boot wait. it will already have an inbuilt gps chip, and i might even splurge and get one with 3g network. The touch panel will hopefully be able to connect directly to the tablet's usb port (waiting for the guy to email me with drivers for android).
    yeah that should def work.
    I've read that a lot of people on mp3car.com use laptops as their carpc, using the battery in the same way you want to use android tablet.
    Car pc front ends are simple enough as well, you don't need to be using windows to navigate to the things you want.

This is what centrafuse looks like:
    Click here to enlarge

This is what ride runner looks like (with a skin):
    Click here to enlarge

I know you have your heart set on android, but I just wanted to show you that carpc software is simple. Click here to enlarge

Anywho, good luck with the project.
    Click here to enlarge
    2002 Astra G Sedan
    Current Project:
    CarPC

Thread Information