Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Holden Design to go Offshore in 2014?

Anyone else hear about this on the news this morning?

Not good at all

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbu...ld-go-offshore

The Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers (APESMA) chief executive, Chris Walton, says management at the motoring company have indicated the model following the next version of Holden's family car may not be created in Australia.

Holden, a subsidiary of US motoring giant General Motors, has made Australian engineered cars since 1948.

"Senior management have confirmed it is highly likely that the 2014 Commodore will be the last one engineered in Australia," Mr Walton told ABC Radio on Thursday.

This would result in around 250 to 300 engineers losing their jobs at Holden's plant in Port Melbourne.

Industry Minister Kim Carr said the government was talking to car makers about their future investment plans.

"In this industry, it is capital intensive, decisions are made on a long-term basis," Senator Carr said.

But Senator Carr could not guarantee Holden cars would continue to be engineered in Australia.

"We expect that in 2014 the vehicles will be produced here," he said.

"We are in the process of discussion about these questions."
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    holden is denying this claim...
    *BTM* Opel Astra SRi 2.2L

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider
    A thread hasn't been recognized on OpelAus forums until BTM has posted in it at least 6 times
    "As a final incentive before giving up on a difficult task, try to imagine it successfully accomplished by someone you violently dislike"

K. Zenios

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Very strongly too!

Will see how it pans out
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol...Senator Carr....get it?

edit: even more ironic because of this:

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by nick_sixx; 3rd November 2011 at 01:13 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the looks of the commodore. i know every bogan has one and its an aussie icon but if it were to go overseas, even if they made the best looking car ever id still be turned off it.
    you can live in a car but cant race a house

Current: 1979 Chrysler Lancer Hatch & 2007 Holden ve Commodore SSV
    past: 2002 SRi Astra & 1985 Holden vk Berlina

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have nothing against the Faclodore ... but logically the upsize of not having locally produced cars should be cheaper imported cars.

That's a win for me.

Anyway, is there really an issue of the car being designed overseas? It hasn't done Kia any damage by hiring a German (who designed the Audi TT)...

I think Kia have been making some of the best looking normal cars, i.e. sedans, of recent times... I would have laughed in your face if someone made the same statement 5 years ago.
    Last edited by JohnBu; 4th November 2011 at 03:04 PM.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    More union bullshit probably. This union and the idiot that represents it regularly rubbish pharmacist shop owners as well - and most of the time the stuff they say about us is complete bullshit with no thought whatsoever to what the truth is.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge
    I have nothing against the Faclodore ... but logically the upsize of not having locally produced cars should be cheaper imported cars.

That's a win for me.

Anyway, is there really an issue of the car being designed overseas? It hasn't done Kia any damage by hiring a German (who designed the Audi TT)...

I think Kia have been making some of the best looking normal cars, i.e. sedans, of recent times... I would have laughed in your face if someone made the same statement 5 years ago.
    If the Hyundai i30 was made by Toyota or Nissan or Honda, I think it would be the best-selling car ever. Hyundai have some brilliant new cars out at the moment, but I'd never buy one because its a Hyundai.

The new Hyundai Sonata is really an incredible car, and probably much better than a Honda Accord Euro in many aspects, but you will still take the Accord just because the alternative is a Hyundai. It's late and I'm rambling

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Give it another 5-10 years and the stigma still associated with Korean cars won't exist.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vectracious Click here to enlarge
    Give it another 5-10 years and the stigma still associated with Korean cars won't exist.
    For some reason I always thought Daihatsu was Korean until like 2 years ago. When I realised it was Japanese, that cleared the stigma for me haha

Thread Information