Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sports cars have clutches.

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gmonkey Click here to enlarge
    there was a point were Williams F1 team in the early 90s were trying to implement it.. but too much power for the gearbox meant it failed
    Actually Williams had it running and ready to go. Coulthard was the Williams test driver and it was ready to race. McLaren heard about it and complained to the FIA and it was banned before its first outing.

And it was QUICK!!! It allowed smoother acceleration out of corners which helped with traction and the engine was held at a constant RPM keeping it at max torque and increased engine life through reduced stresses.

So it was working an ready to go. Downside, it sounded crap! The engine was constantly one RPM level. So doing 50 or 150 it sounded the same.

I've driven my parents old A4 with a CVT. great for a cruiser, crap to go quick in. There was also always a slight delay when moving from a stand still as the CVT picked the right ratio for the situation. A pain when pulling out of an intersection.

I'll take a manual or as a second choice a manual DCT over a CVT.

7 an 8 speed autos are a pain to IMHO. Driven a 7 speed merc and it always felt like it was about to change again when you didn't want it to.
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've driven an 8 speed auto BMW, I thought it was fine..

It did upshift a lot but was smooth and not noticeable.

I can't see any advantage over a good 6 speed, but choosing an 8 speed has more to do with emissions, fuel consumption & taxes than performance.

It's like the schick razors, do we f'king need 5 blades? 5 must be better than 1,2,3 or 4 right?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vectracious Click here to enlarge
    Id rather get a manual and muck up some heal-toe shifts and practice till I get them right rather than take the lazy way out and be a pretend 'expert' and let the computer do it all for me.

Also, I have yet to see a cvt being used in a racing application, unless someone can enlighten me.

Not an auto hater by any means, current car and last car both automatics. But they are not sporty.

Sent from the MAGI.
    as mentioned earlier, CVT was banned from F1 in 1994, purely because the rich teams would be able create to much of a performance gap to the lower budget teams.

and CVT has been used in american racing, Formula 500 from memory, since the 70's...

not to mention a lot of motorbikes, and snowmobiles...

if been considering building a cvt for our FSAE racecar, because we're limited to a restricted 600cc engine, anything that can make the little power we have last longer should help with drivability...

P.S. Def agree, neither the Lancer or A4 are particularly sporty and that cvt will prob never be put on a road "sports" car, but cvt does make sense as a motorsport concept...
    Last edited by Shay; 14th December 2011 at 09:24 AM.

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shay Click here to enlarge
    and CVT has been used in american racing, Formula 500 from memory, since the 70's...
    Had to google what that was - in that application a CVT does make sense because of the engines they are using.
    Last edited by Vectracious; 14th December 2011 at 01:27 PM.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gman Click here to enlarge
    7 an 8 speed autos are a pain to IMHO. Driven a 7 speed merc and it always felt like it was about to change again when you didn't want it to.
    Actually test drove several Merc C Classes lately with the new 7spd G-Tronic and didn't mind it at all it worked very well with the twin turbo oiler in the C250 CDI - BUT you have to have it in sport mode and works a treat !!! it does a bit of what you described in normal or 'eco' mode Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge
    I've driven an 8 speed auto BMW, I thought it was fine..

It did upshift a lot but was smooth and not noticeable.

I can't see any advantage over a good 6 speed, but choosing an 8 speed has more to do with emissions, fuel consumption & taxes than performance.

It's like the schick razors, do we f'king need 5 blades? 5 must be better than 1,2,3 or 4 right?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Agree John, accompanied a close friend interested in buying the new 1 series BMW albeit the 118d oiler with the new 8spd auto and it drove remarkably well, suffice to say he loved it and bought the car...

If anyone wants more info on that particular car I can certainly find out for you once he gets a hold of it early next year Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information